Hello to everybody
I have a pc with the following configuration:
CPU: Intel core2Duo e6600 @ 2.40Ghz
M/B: Asus P5n32e-sli
2GB ram, Kingston
GPU: Nvidia 8800 GTS 512
PSU: Formerly Enermax 500W, now Corsair 650TX
+5 SATA hard drives, 1 Sata DVD-RW, 1 IDE DVD-RW

The last few months, i have seen the pc crash after some time of playing games. It used to be after 3-6 hours, but now it's after 5-15 minutes. I have no problem whatsoever when i watch movies, even high definition, or when i'm browsing the internet. The crashes happen only on games, although last week it has crashed 2 times without me doing anything. I suspected it could be the PSU's fault, but i bought another and the problem persists exactly the same. What do you propose i do?
Thank you
March 5, 2009 7:52:09 PM

I definately wouldnt think its your power supply. Corsair makes good ones.

hmm if i were you i would check a few things.

Number one i would take some compressed air and clean out all the dust in your case, it could be over heating.

follow that up by watching your temps while gaming or by running prime 95 to make sure thats not the prob.

next you might check all of your power supply connections to evthing. make sure evthing is snug.

Also while your at it run memtest and check to make sure your memory isnt malfunctioning.

Hope this helps

March 5, 2009 8:29:23 PM

prime95 crashes after 1-2 minutes, and memtest cannot complete because it crashes after 5-6 minutes too.
CPU temp is 104 Celsius degrees though, you think that's the problem?
Related resources
March 5, 2009 9:25:55 PM

yes absolutely your cpu is running way too hot.

What kind of cpu cooler do you have? Computer Case? any extra case fans to improve airflow?

if its the stock cooler, i would take it off, clean evthing, apply new thermal paste, and then reseat the cooler.

adding at least one case fan or more would help overall airflow as well.

Once you do that then reboot and run prime 95 while monitoring temps. i would say anything over 65 celsius is too high.

If you are still having problems, but your temp is ok, then check your ram, I suppose its possible with all that heat that you could have damaged your ram as well.

Hope this helps.

March 5, 2009 9:37:29 PM

The m/b temperature is 40 degrees Celsius, and yes i am using the stock cpu cooler and 1 120mm case fan and 2 90mm side fans which are not working most of the time, probably because the M/b temperature is ok.
I'm thinking of getting a new cooler, i don't know if zalman is any good... and an arctic silver paste. I'm worried though if the cpu is damaged now and i have to get everything from scratch...
March 5, 2009 9:38:05 PM

your cpu heat sink isn't on right reset it clean off old thermal paste
with alcohol swabs are good when reapplying thermal paste
only a rice size drop in the middle of the cpu is good if you have a
regular cooler no heatpipes
thats to high could damage your cpu after reinstalling go into
your bios check your temperatures there thats way to high
March 5, 2009 9:44:07 PM

hliasp69 said:
The m/b temperature is 40 degrees Celsius, and yes i am using the stock cpu cooler and 1 120mm case fan and 2 90mm side fans which are not working most of the time, probably because the M/b temperature is ok.
I'm thinking of getting a new cooler, i don't know if zalman is any good... and an arctic silver paste. I'm worried though if the cpu is damaged now and i have to get everything from scratch...

Your cpu probably isnt damaged. The reason it is crashing is because the bios sees the temperature is too high and shuts the computer off before the cpu does get damaged.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

That link is to a site that reviews heatsinks regularly. That should help you decide on which one to buy.

Your stock heatsink would be ok once you remove it, clean it, reapply thermal paste, then reseat it.

Hope this helps.
March 5, 2009 9:50:08 PM

hliasp69 said:
prime95 crashes after 1-2 minutes, and memtest cannot complete because it crashes after 5-6 minutes too.
CPU temp is 104 Celsius degrees though, you think that's the problem?

...104C... = 220F... you should be happy your cpu hasn't caught on fire. I think the thermal limit is around 80-85C. Check to make sure your HSF hasn't come loose and nothing is obstructing the airflow around it. I run an 8400 OC to 3.5Ghz on the Intel HSF and I stay around 45C at all times.

If you are considering another HSF, I have the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, with MX-2 Thermal paste. I highly recommend both. They are cooling my Quad 9550 and are amazing!
March 5, 2009 10:48:55 PM

computers are programmed to automatically shut off if the temperature of something, most likely the cpu in your case, reaches a critical temperature. Make sure the heatsink is fully seated. i once opened up my computer after it began randomly powering off only to discover that my arctic cooling freezer 64 was attached to my cpu only by the bond made by the thermal compound. make sure everything is secure. and if it's still happening, get a new heatsink and make sure u apply the thermal compound well.
March 6, 2009 6:44:03 AM

I'm going to get some thermal paste and if that doesn't work, a new cooler. Thanks for all the answers so far :) 
March 6, 2009 10:03:56 PM

if i remember correctly, older pentiums used to work up to 100 degrees Celsius, so don't be so cocky
March 7, 2009 3:47:11 AM

Well did you resolve your issue?
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2009 12:43:53 PM

I believe someone's memory is starting to lapse, never has been a CPU on this planet that will run stable at 100 degrees.
March 7, 2009 2:54:54 PM

i got an arctic silver 5 this noon and put it on, at first i noticed the same temperatures but when i checked again i saw that 1 push pin didn't connect ok, so i put the cooler on again and now it's ok! temperature is at 40 degrees Celsius on idle and no problems whatsoever with prime 95. Many thanks to all who helped!!!

And for those that make fun of my memory :) 
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/143/5
Max Cpu temperatures (that the cpu is stable)
# Core Duo: 100º C
# Core Solo: 100º C
# Pentium M: 100º C
X7900: 100 C
X7800: 100C etc
March 8, 2009 1:43:23 AM

great glad you got it fixed
!