E6600 running at 55C with XIGMATEK help!

sopel10

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
ok, this is my brothers computer that he build about a two years ago

SPECS:

Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS

CPU INTEL|C2D E6600 2.4G 775

2GB (2x1024) D/C Kit PN - OCZ2G8002GK 5-5-5-15 1.8v

2GB Dual Channel Kit P/N - OCZ2P8002GK 4-5-4-15 2.1v

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

PSU ANTEC|TP3-650 RT

On the stock cooler it was over 65 on idle, now it's 55 or more after i installed xigmatek. When i play a game it's over 70C, i check temps using core temp.

These temps are even higher in bios, almost 70C when idle.

The new cooler is installed properly, and we tried to reinstall the old one few times to make sure it was sitting right so it is not the cooler. I flashed the bios with the newest bios from asus too.

Any ideas why so high on overall and especially using this new huge cooler? Nothing is overclocked, bios is loaded to default, only the timings on ram are set so they match.

Please, help.

thx

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Does the motherboard identify the CPU correctly at POST? Does the heatsink feel like 70C? If you can hold your finger om it, you have aincorrect reading, try a BIOS update. Is the heatsink REALLY tight against the CPU? What thermal grease and how much are you using?

Mike.

sopel10

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Yes, the cpu is recognized correctly. and no, heatsink (the huge heatsink) is cold, but that's why i flashed the bios, to make sure there is nothing wrong with the bios. heatsink is seating good, thermal grease whatever came with the cooler.

as for the case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146029&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Cases+(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-NZXT-_-11146029

plenty of airflow

it looks like it's incorrect reading, how do i fix it? this shuts down my computer when i play games for a while

thx

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
do 2 layers one thin around the entie cpu and second blob and use lots and lots!

or remove it and check it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250728-28-xigmateck-thermalright-120mm-plastic-forgot

) install the cooler with more compound then normal - run it while and remove it. run it hot - at full load to force the compound into the heat pipe cracks

the xig has exposed heat pipes and you need the TC to wet/flow and fill the cracks.

remove it and lightly wipe off the compound off the cooler and cpu- you do not want to remove it from the cracks from the hsf. you want to prep the surface for the surface layer like a normal hsf.

reapply layer 1 to the cpu, you should use a double bb - spread it from the center even to all edges. You want to trowl it like cement even - like a sidewalk!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
xig needs more then any cooler but all dished and exposed pipes need lots - i just wrote this before reading your post

my xig 3 pipe at 3.8ghz runs 40c in bios after 24 hours with dual fans

blob method is derived from pentium4 days with round heats sinks and single cores

do the hybrid method - its best for all coolers the worst case is have too much and it will flow out. 1c higher from too much is better 10c higher from too little

1) trowl the big bb blob evenly around the entire cpu and flat and smooth

2) put a second blog in the center and spread it slighly in round shaped size of penny

the second blob is for dished, curved and crappy heat sinks

Attic cooling is in the stone ages - collecting cash - but the product is good as far as long term and for shipping is stays pliable and does not de-laminate like the new fancy TC

make sure it points the right way and zip another fan on

DSC_0145-1.jpg

this is a photo of a system half built under constuction - make sure all the fans align

sopel10

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

the case that i showed is the new version of my older one, the one that i got has 4 fans on the side.

i will tell my brother about reapplying the compound and see what happenes.

dragonspayer - nice case and configuration.

I've got two fans on my tower style heatsink and they line up with the exhaust fan on the rear panel. I also cut out the fan guards on the rear panel as well as the front panel to improve air flow. I've got a nice wind tunnel effect.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If Heatsink is cool but CPU says 70C your heatsink is NOT making proper contact with CPU. Remove heatsink and clean CPU and heatsink with Isopropyle alcohol or TIM Remover. Check that CPU clamp is fully closed, then use good quality thermal compound and follow the instructions for application.

Mike.