Sign in with
Your question

Help with Soundcard upgrade

Last response: in Components
January 30, 2009 9:32:22 PM

I'm finally in the market for a good sound card. So far the main one I've been looking at is the AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156005

The cheaper the better, but I defiantly want a quality sound card. I will mostly be using it for gaming, but I'll also be using it for listening to music from time to time.

Right now I'm dual booting Vista 64bit and Windows 7 Beta 64bit (I know, vista sucks and windows 7 is stlll beta... but both have better support than XP 64bit)... so the card will have to have solid 64bit driver support.

More about : soundcard upgrade

January 31, 2009 12:20:41 AM

vista does not suck - it rocks - why?

vista sucks when compared on like machines but when you slap it on a i7 at 4ghz it rips it up. plus you have better self defrag, built in partition built in back up like ghost - way better security - even better if uac is left on

vista is great - ok fine you have to restart your machine once in a while but most the magor usb and sleep issues have improved

i run vista since rc-2 and got rid of xp systems as service pack 1 - its ready for prime time

as far 64bit go to the 64bit sites for products and look it up - that is how you do it - yes you can look at the newegg reviews and you should

$175 is steep you must have very golden ears!
January 31, 2009 12:22:31 AM

windows 7 is fine but its security is laps - remember that and you compromise your entire machine run a dual boot beta

unplug the vista and data back up - if you got it a dual raid volume i be-careful on the net
January 31, 2009 2:01:33 AM

thats true about vista not being bad when run on a good enough machine. but taking up almost 1.5GB of RAM while idling is pretty bad, and I don't even have many background programs running.
Also, thanks for the tips about the windows 7 beta.

Back on the topic though...I'm not a massive audiophile, but I do want my games to sound good. I'll admit $175 is defiantly a steep price. If anyone can recommend a good sound card that's cheaper that would awesome. It has to have analog and digital out though, cause i have Sennheiser PC 350's hooked up to analog and z-5500 hooked up to digital.
!