DVR recommendations

Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

So many of you folks extolled the virtues of the DVR, and I'll think I'll bite. :) Which
ones are you folks using? I look at the normal electronic stores like Best Buy and
CompUSA, and they all have TIVO or DirectTV boxes. Are there others, or just those two
main companies? I don't have cable, so everything I do would be OTA, can a DVR work with
just that, and if so, any recommendations?

If it is essentially a harddrive, does any one use their computers and run som third party
software to do? If so, what do you use then?
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all
things, we shall do what needs to be done."

    ~consul wrote:
    > So many of you folks extolled the virtues of the DVR, and I'll think I'll bite. :) Which
    > ones are you folks using? I look at the normal electronic stores like Best Buy and
    > CompUSA, and they all have TIVO or DirectTV boxes. Are there others, or just those two
    > main companies? I don't have cable, so everything I do would be OTA, can a DVR work with
    > just that, and if so, any recommendations?
    >
    > If it is essentially a harddrive, does any one use their computers and run som third party
    > software to do? If so, what do you use then?

    Does DVR even work without cable? I didn't realize you could do that. I
    just took the one my cable company uses.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    "~consul" <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message
    > So many of you folks extolled the virtues of the DVR, and I'll think I'll
    > bite. :) Which ones are you folks using? I look at the normal electronic
    > stores like Best Buy and CompUSA, and they all have TIVO or DirectTV
    > boxes. Are there others, or just those two main companies? I don't have
    > cable, so everything I do would be OTA, can a DVR work with just that, and
    > if so, any recommendations?
    >
    > If it is essentially a harddrive, does any one use their computers and run
    > som third party software to do? If so, what do you use then?

    You could get a Tivo Series 2 DVR. It works with cable, off air, satellite,
    etc. I have several Tivos and I like them a lot. For more details, inquire
    in alt.video.ptv.tivo. We talk about these issues in that newsgroup all the
    time. Someone will be able to answers any questions you might have.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:41:59 -0700, ~consul
    <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote:

    >So many of you folks extolled the virtues of the DVR, and I'll think I'll bite. :) Which
    >ones are you folks using? I look at the normal electronic stores like Best Buy and
    >CompUSA, and they all have TIVO or DirectTV boxes. Are there others, or just those two
    >main companies? I don't have cable, so everything I do would be OTA, can a DVR work with
    >just that, and if so, any recommendations?
    >
    >If it is essentially a harddrive, does any one use their computers and run som third party
    >software to do? If so, what do you use then?

    Anything that stands alone and doesn't plug into a phone line.
    -Rich
  4. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    in article pa4qa196gl9c2l6p9nml6o75cia88mq1da@4ax.com, RichA at
    none@none.com wrote on 6/12/05 9:54 PM:

    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:41:59 -0700, ~consul
    > <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote:
    >
    >> So many of you folks extolled the virtues of the DVR, and I'll think I'll
    >> bite. :) Which
    >> ones are you folks using? I look at the normal electronic stores like Best
    >> Buy and
    >> CompUSA, and they all have TIVO or DirectTV boxes. Are there others, or just
    >> those two
    >> main companies? I don't have cable, so everything I do would be OTA, can a
    >> DVR work with
    >> just that, and if so, any recommendations?
    >>
    >> If it is essentially a harddrive, does any one use their computers and run
    >> som third party
    >> software to do? If so, what do you use then?
    >
    > Anything that stands alone and doesn't plug into a phone line.
    > -Rich

    What he said.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    >~consul wrote:
    >> So many of you folks extolled the virtues of the DVR, and I'll think
    >I'll bite. :) Which
    >> ones are you folks using? I look at the normal electronic stores like
    >Best Buy and
    >> CompUSA, and they all have TIVO or DirectTV boxes. Are there others,
    >or just those two
    >> main companies? I don't have cable, so everything I do would be OTA,
    >can a DVR work with
    >> just that, and if so, any recommendations?
    >>
    >> If it is essentially a harddrive, does any one use their computers and
    >run som third party
    >> software to do? If so, what do you use then?
    >
    >Does DVR even work without cable? I didn't realize you could do that. I
    >just took the one my cable company uses.

    As far as I know, any DirecTivo DVR works with DirecTV and does
    not work with cable.

    A Series 1 standalone TiVo works fine with just an antenna and no
    cable (this is the setup I have).

    Obviously, the only DVRs a cable company will offer are those
    that work with cable.

    Cable has a serious reputation problem with me. They haven't
    convinced me yet that they can get the billing right. When you pay
    the bill, the "Balance Due" is supposed to go down by the amount
    of the payment. They are not supposed to add the amount of the
    payment to the monthly rate.

    It is possible to build a computer with TV tuner card(s), a large
    hard disk, and a good video card for use as a DVR. Look for the
    "MythTV" project, among others. To really work well, it needs a
    source of program guide data. The software is non-trivial. It's
    much more than just a large hard disk. If you decide to use this
    setup, you may well want to dedicate the system to TV, rather than
    trying to do other stuff on it also.

    Gordon L. Burditt
  6. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    ~consul <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in rec.arts.tv:

    > So many of you folks extolled the virtues of the DVR, and I'll
    > think I'll bite. :) Which ones are you folks using? I look at the
    > normal electronic stores like Best Buy and CompUSA, and they all
    > have TIVO or DirectTV boxes. Are there others, or just those two
    > main companies? I don't have cable, so everything I do would be
    > OTA, can a DVR work with just that, and if so, any
    > recommendations?
    >
    > If it is essentially a harddrive, does any one use their computers
    > and run som third party software to do? If so, what do you use
    > then?

    I have a Panasonic DVR with a hard drive. They are just like VCRs, inn
    that you hook them up and use them with whatever TV viewing service you
    happen to have. They are designed to make the most use of cable
    service, but it's not necessary. TiVo and Direct TV are NOT the only
    things out there. Best Buy, in fact, has/had my VCR, though I bought
    it cheaper through Amazon.

    --
    Brandy  Alexandre®
    http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx

    in article 1118627424.115cd6ddc219d3eff29e9a1f9a628a86@teranews,
    Brandy  Alexandre at brandy@kamikaze.orgy wrote on 6/12/05 6:50 PM:

    > I have a Panasonic DVR with a hard drive. They are just like VCRs, inn
    > that you hook them up and use them with whatever TV viewing service you
    > happen to have. They are designed to make the most use of cable
    > service, but it's not necessary. TiVo and Direct TV are NOT the only
    > things out there. Best Buy, in fact, has/had my VCR, though I bought
    > it cheaper through Amazon.

    What model do you have? I don't see anything at Amazon that isn't a
    Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive seemingly stuck on as an
    afterthought?
  8. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    ~consul wrote:
    > So many of you folks extolled the virtues of the DVR, and I'll think I'll bite. :) Which
    > ones are you folks using?

    I'm using a Toshiba RD-XS32. It's a standalone (i.e. non-subscription
    service) DVR that includes a DVD recorder, like the one Brandy
    mentioned. If you bought a Toshiba, you'd probably want the newer XS34,
    though (or the XS52 if you want HD output, although I don't know as
    much about that model). I don't get any of the neat subscription
    service features, but I also don't have to pay service fees or worry
    about my box's firmware being changed on me (which Comcast does, and
    probably the others as well).

    The XS32 only has an 80GB hard drive, which is small for current boxes
    (the XS34 has a 160GB drive). I chose the Toshiba because the user
    interface got good reviews (as opposed to some others, like the
    Philips, which were generally regarded as being terrible), it supports
    both -R and -RW discs (-RAM, too), it has plenty of inputs and outputs
    (important for my complex A/V system setup), and it can "pause" live
    TV. Don't underestimate the importance of the interface, especially if
    you're editing or archiving to DVD.

    > I look at the normal electronic stores like Best Buy and
    > CompUSA, and they all have TIVO or DirectTV boxes. Are there others, or just those two
    > main companies?

    Unless you want to pay at least $100 more, you don't want to buy one at
    Best Buy... I got a really good price on mine at B&H (who are very
    reliable). If you don't want a subscription box, most electronics
    companies make a DVR. Toshiba makes TiVo-enabled models too, by the
    way.

    > I don't have cable, so everything I do would be OTA, can a DVR work with
    > just that, and if so, any recommendations?

    Mine (like other standalones) doesn't care what the source is. I could
    record myself playing my Playstation if I really wanted to...

    I can give you a more detailed review if you need me to.

    HTH

    Jeff
  9. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

    > in article pa4qa196gl9c2l6p9nml6o75cia88mq1da@4ax.com, RichA at
    > none@none.com wrote on 6/12/05 9:54 PM:
    >
    > > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:41:59 -0700, ~consul
    > > <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> So many of you folks extolled the virtues of the DVR, and I'll think I'll
    > >> bite. :) Which
    > >> ones are you folks using? I look at the normal electronic stores like Best
    > >> Buy and
    > >> CompUSA, and they all have TIVO or DirectTV boxes. Are there others, or
    > >> just
    > >> those two
    > >> main companies? I don't have cable, so everything I do would be OTA, can a
    > >> DVR work with
    > >> just that, and if so, any recommendations?
    > >>
    > >> If it is essentially a harddrive, does any one use their computers and run
    > >> som third party
    > >> software to do? If so, what do you use then?
    > >
    > > Anything that stands alone and doesn't plug into a phone line.
    > > -Rich
    >
    > What he said.

    If you can, you should try them out a little - finding and setting
    programs, especially for catching every episode of your favorite
    series, and changing the settings.

    I have both a TiVo series 2 and something different supplied by the
    cable co. The TiVo is very easy to use, has an excellent search
    feature, but can only record one show at a time. The other one seems to
    have been designed to be as difficult as possible to use, no search
    capability except by sorting by time or name, and when it gets filled
    up, it deletes all the future programs (hard to test that part in the
    store, I'll admit) but it can record 2 shows at a time and supplies
    picture in picture.

    Neither makes it easy to start a program a minute late, like you need
    to do after Lost.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    > It is possible to build a computer with TV tuner card(s), a large
    > hard disk, and a good video card for use as a DVR. Look for the
    > "MythTV" project, among others. To really work well, it needs a
    > source of program guide data. The software is non-trivial. It's
    > much more than just a large hard disk. If you decide to use this
    > setup, you may well want to dedicate the system to TV, rather than
    > trying to do other stuff on it also.
    >
    > Gordon L. Burditt

    Beat me to it. Check out www.systm.org, and watch the second episode.
    If you are a techy, MythTv may be the way to go.

    SR1
  11. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    in article 130620050152158834%cmn-nospam@houston.rr.com, Mark Nobles at
    cmn-nospam@houston.rr.com wrote on 6/12/05 11:52 PM:

    > ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    >> in article pa4qa196gl9c2l6p9nml6o75cia88mq1da@4ax.com, RichA at
    >> none@none.com wrote on 6/12/05 9:54 PM:

    >>> Anything that stands alone and doesn't plug into a phone line.
    >>> -Rich
    >>
    >> What he said.
    >>
    > If you can, you should try them out a little - finding and setting
    > programs, especially for catching every episode of your favorite
    > series, and changing the settings.
    >
    > I have both a TiVo series 2 and something different supplied by the
    > cable co. The TiVo is very easy to use, has an excellent search
    > feature, but can only record one show at a time. The other one seems to
    > have been designed to be as difficult as possible to use, no search
    > capability except by sorting by time or name, and when it gets filled
    > up, it deletes all the future programs (hard to test that part in the
    > store, I'll admit) but it can record 2 shows at a time and supplies
    > picture in picture.
    >
    > Neither makes it easy to start a program a minute late, like you need
    > to do after Lost.

    I checked out the reviews on the Panasonic DVRs on Amazon and was pretty
    horrified.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    ANIM8Rfsk wrote:
    > Patty Winter wrote:
    > >
    > > I got a Sony DVR/HDD a couple of months ago and have been impressed
    > > with it. It has TV Guide's electronic program guide built in, although
    > > I've only used it once or twice because most of the recording I've done
    > > has been from DirecTV rather than cable. Oh, my model is the HX900.
    >
    > Can you just use it like a VCR without a phone connection if you want?

    It's a standalone unit with no phone jack at all, AFAIK. For the DVR's
    TV guide feature to work, the cable provider has to offer the generic
    guide service (encoded somewhere in the cable RF bandwidth). It's
    usually "TV Guide On-Screen" from what I've seen, and any compatible
    device (TV, DVR, etc) can read it. Certain cable providers won't
    provide it, though.

    Last time I looked at that model, it was overpriced, by the way, and
    didn't have the features of some of its less-expensive competitors...

    Jeff
  13. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <130620050152158834%cmn-nospam@houston.rr.com>, Mark Nobles
    <cmn-nospam@houston.rr.com> wrote:

    > I have both a TiVo series 2 and something different supplied by the
    > cable co. The TiVo is very easy to use, has an excellent search
    > feature, but can only record one show at a time. The other one seems to
    > have been designed to be as difficult as possible to use, no search
    > capability except by sorting by time or name, and when it gets filled
    > up, it deletes all the future programs (hard to test that part in the
    > store, I'll admit) but it can record 2 shows at a time and supplies
    > picture in picture.

    That's why I like my DirecTiVo. It can record two shows at a time in
    the original DirecTV quality (which I admit can be lacking sometimes).
    It's easy to use. It starts deleting the *oldest* shows that haven't
    been marked for permanent keeping when the drive gets full. And I have
    mine installed with a hacked version of the TiVo OS that allows all
    sorts of useful things, like not needing to phone home (useful when you
    no longer have a land line), 30-second commercial skip (takes me about
    6 seconds to go through a long commercial break) and automatically
    switching to a certain channel every weeknight to watch a show I don't
    normally record.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <BED31B05.381C2%ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net>,
    ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

    >I checked out the reviews on the Panasonic DVRs on Amazon and was pretty
    >horrified.

    I got a Sony DVR/HDD a couple of months ago and have been impressed
    with it. It has TV Guide's electronic program guide built in, although
    I've only used it once or twice because most of the recording I've done
    has been from DirecTV rather than cable. Oh, my model is the HX900.

    Patty
  15. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    in article d8kkki$g2p$1@bolt.sonic.net, Patty Winter at
    patty1@wintertime.com wrote on 6/13/05 11:52 AM:

    > In article <BED31B05.381C2%ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net>,
    > ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> I checked out the reviews on the Panasonic DVRs on Amazon and was pretty
    >> horrified.
    >
    > I got a Sony DVR/HDD a couple of months ago and have been impressed
    > with it. It has TV Guide's electronic program guide built in, although
    > I've only used it once or twice because most of the recording I've done
    > has been from DirecTV rather than cable. Oh, my model is the HX900.
    >

    > Patty

    Can you just use it like a VCR without a phone connection if you want?
  16. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <1118625255.355245.218180@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    zaryzary2003@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Does DVR even work without cable? I didn't realize you could do that. I
    > just took the one my cable company uses.

    Why wouldn't a DVR work without cable? The ones that the cable
    companies provide are built into the cable converter boxes, but
    standalone DVRs like TiVo and ReplayTV connect the same way that a VCR
    does. They work with cable, satellite, or OTA antennas. One thing they
    have that many VCRs don't have is an "IR Blaster", an infrared emitter
    that sends channel-changing signals to the cable or satellite box.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

    In article <BED23867.37FB9%ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net>,
    ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

    > in article 1118627424.115cd6ddc219d3eff29e9a1f9a628a86@teranews,
    > Brandy  Alexandre at brandy@kamikaze.orgy wrote on 6/12/05 6:50 PM:
    >
    > > I have a Panasonic DVR with a hard drive. They are just like VCRs, inn
    > > that you hook them up and use them with whatever TV viewing service you
    > > happen to have. They are designed to make the most use of cable
    > > service, but it's not necessary. TiVo and Direct TV are NOT the only
    > > things out there. Best Buy, in fact, has/had my VCR, though I bought
    > > it cheaper through Amazon.
    >
    > What model do you have? I don't see anything at Amazon that isn't a
    > Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive seemingly stuck on as an
    > afterthought?

    I think he's talking about Showstopper, which was Panasonic's rebranded
    ReplayTV. They stopped selling them several years ago.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA
  18. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    in article barmar-FB695D.19272813062005@comcast.dca.giganews.com, Barry
    Margolin at barmar@alum.mit.edu wrote on 6/13/05 4:27 PM:

    > In article <BED23867.37FB9%ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net>,
    > ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    >> in article 1118627424.115cd6ddc219d3eff29e9a1f9a628a86@teranews,
    >> Brandy  Alexandre at brandy@kamikaze.orgy wrote on 6/12/05 6:50 PM:
    >>
    >>> I have a Panasonic DVR with a hard drive. They are just like VCRs, inn
    >>> that you hook them up and use them with whatever TV viewing service you
    >>> happen to have. They are designed to make the most use of cable
    >>> service, but it's not necessary. TiVo and Direct TV are NOT the only
    >>> things out there. Best Buy, in fact, has/had my VCR, though I bought
    >>> it cheaper through Amazon.
    >>
    >> What model do you have? I don't see anything at Amazon that isn't a
    >> Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive seemingly stuck on as an
    >> afterthought?
    >
    > I think he's talking about Showstopper, which was Panasonic's rebranded
    > ReplayTV. They stopped selling them several years ago.

    ah

    thanks

    but

    brandy is a he?
  19. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <BED32FC7.38211%ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net>,
    ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
    >in article d8kkki$g2p$1@bolt.sonic.net, Patty Winter at
    >patty1@wintertime.com wrote on 6/13/05 11:52 AM:
    >
    >> I got a Sony DVR/HDD a couple of months ago and have been impressed
    >> with it. It has TV Guide's electronic program guide built in, although
    >> I've only used it once or twice because most of the recording I've done
    >> has been from DirecTV rather than cable. Oh, my model is the HX900.
    >
    >Can you just use it like a VCR without a phone connection if you want?

    Not sure what you mean by "if you want." It has no telephone connection
    at all. So if you want a phone connection (I don't know what for), this
    one won't meet your needs.

    Patty
  20. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    in article d8l36s$hjg$1@bolt.sonic.net, Patty Winter at
    patty1@wintertime.com wrote on 6/13/05 4:00 PM:

    > In article <BED32FC7.38211%ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net>,
    > ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
    >> in article d8kkki$g2p$1@bolt.sonic.net, Patty Winter at
    >> patty1@wintertime.com wrote on 6/13/05 11:52 AM:
    >>
    >>> I got a Sony DVR/HDD a couple of months ago and have been impressed
    >>> with it. It has TV Guide's electronic program guide built in, although
    >>> I've only used it once or twice because most of the recording I've done
    >>> has been from DirecTV rather than cable. Oh, my model is the HX900.
    >>
    >> Can you just use it like a VCR without a phone connection if you want?
    >
    > Not sure what you mean by "if you want." It has no telephone connection
    > at all. So if you want a phone connection (I don't know what for), this
    > one won't meet your needs.
    >

    > Patty

    TIVO uses the telephone to call in and get the TV Guide, and the newer
    models won't function without it. The DVR box from Cox cable gets it's TV
    Guide information from the cable feed itself. You said you've used a TV
    Guide electronic program? How does it get it's listings? Any idea? (I
    don't want a phone connection; your box sounds like it might just be what
    I've been looking for)
  21. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    ANIM8Rfsk wrote:
    > TIVO uses the telephone to call in and get the TV Guide, and the newer
    > models won't function without it. The DVR box from Cox cable gets it's TV
    > Guide information from the cable feed itself. You said you've used a TV
    > Guide electronic program? How does it get it's listings? Any idea? (I
    > don't want a phone connection; your box sounds like it might just be what
    > I've been looking for)

    Don't know how Patty's machine does it, but on my Sharp HDTV, it gets for free the TV
    Guide programming listings from ... well, somewhere, as I know I didn't subscribe to
    anything, I just set what my area code was. It must be broadcasted for free OTA.
    --
    "... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all
    things, we shall do what needs to be done."
    --till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
  22. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    in article d8ll0p$pug$1@gist.usc.edu, ~consul at
    consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com wrote on 6/13/05 9:04 PM:

    > ANIM8Rfsk wrote:
    >> TIVO uses the telephone to call in and get the TV Guide, and the newer
    >> models won't function without it. The DVR box from Cox cable gets it's TV
    >> Guide information from the cable feed itself. You said you've used a TV
    >> Guide electronic program? How does it get it's listings? Any idea? (I
    >> don't want a phone connection; your box sounds like it might just be what
    >> I've been looking for)
    >
    > Don't know how Patty's machine does it, but on my Sharp HDTV, it gets for free
    > the TV
    > Guide programming listings from ... well, somewhere, as I know I didn't
    > subscribe to
    > anything, I just set what my area code was. It must be broadcasted for free
    > OTA.

    That's interesting. I've downloaded the manual to the Sony from Amazon;
    maybe it will tell me something. :-)
  23. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote in rec.arts.tv:

    > in article 1118627424.115cd6ddc219d3eff29e9a1f9a628a86@teranews,
    > Brandy  Alexandre at brandy@kamikaze.orgy wrote on 6/12/05 6:50
    > PM:
    >
    >> I have a Panasonic DVR with a hard drive. They are just like
    >> VCRs, inn that you hook them up and use them with whatever TV
    >> viewing service you happen to have. They are designed to make
    >> the most use of cable service, but it's not necessary. TiVo and
    >> Direct TV are NOT the only things out there. Best Buy, in fact,
    >> has/had my VCR, though I bought it cheaper through Amazon.
    >
    > What model do you have? I don't see anything at Amazon that isn't
    > a Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive seemingly stuck on as
    > an afterthought?

    It's a DMR-E85H. It has a 180mb hard drive in it and in SP stores over
    50 hours, and EP over 250. It comes with TV Guide OnScreen for
    listings and ease of recording. It's way cool.

    --
    Brandy  Alexandre®
    http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
    Well, would you?
  24. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    in article 1118711605.0cd5a558b5301ab1921ba835d6872c8e@teranews,
    Brandy  Alexandre at brandy@kamikaze.orgy wrote on 6/13/05 6:13 PM:

    > ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote in rec.arts.tv:
    >
    >> in article 1118627424.115cd6ddc219d3eff29e9a1f9a628a86@teranews,
    >> Brandy  Alexandre at brandy@kamikaze.orgy wrote on 6/12/05 6:50
    >> PM:
    >>
    >>> I have a Panasonic DVR with a hard drive. They are just like
    >>> VCRs, inn that you hook them up and use them with whatever TV
    >>> viewing service you happen to have. They are designed to make
    >>> the most use of cable service, but it's not necessary. TiVo and
    >>> Direct TV are NOT the only things out there. Best Buy, in fact,
    >>> has/had my VCR, though I bought it cheaper through Amazon.
    >>
    >> What model do you have? I don't see anything at Amazon that isn't
    >> a Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive seemingly stuck on as
    >> an afterthought?
    >>

    > It's a DMR-E85H. It has a 180mb hard drive in it and in SP stores over
    > 50 hours, and EP over 250. It comes with TV Guide OnScreen for
    > listings and ease of recording. It's way cool.

    Thanks. Annoyingly, the various horrible reviews about Panasonics at Amazon
    say stuff like 'the old ones were much better' -- heavy sigh.
  25. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote in rec.arts.tv:

    > In article <BED23867.37FB9%ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net>,
    > ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    >> in article 1118627424.115cd6ddc219d3eff29e9a1f9a628a86@teranews,
    >> Brandy  Alexandre at brandy@kamikaze.orgy wrote on 6/12/05 6:50
    >> PM:
    >>
    >> > I have a Panasonic DVR with a hard drive. They are just like
    >> > VCRs, inn that you hook them up and use them with whatever TV
    >> > viewing service you happen to have. They are designed to make
    >> > the most use of cable service, but it's not necessary. TiVo
    >> > and Direct TV are NOT the only things out there. Best Buy, in
    >> > fact, has/had my VCR, though I bought it cheaper through
    >> > Amazon.
    >>
    >> What model do you have? I don't see anything at Amazon that
    >> isn't a Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive seemingly stuck
    >> on as an afterthought?
    >
    > I think he's talking about Showstopper, which was Panasonic's
    > rebranded ReplayTV. They stopped selling them several years ago.

    No I'm not (and I'm not a he). This is an independent, standalone
    machine, not some subscription or dish linked service. Like a VCR,
    just with a LOT more space and user-friendly. There are some things I
    don't like about it because I didn't research as well as I could have,
    but the answer to the main question is, yes, there are real DVRs and
    you don't need cable, and they are actually affordable.

    --
    Brandy  Alexandre®
    http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
    Well, would you?
  26. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <1118711711.30dd69c913fbd11fc7a62113c1b0be00@teranews>, brandy@kamikaze.orgy (BrandyAlexandre) writes:

    | This is an independent, standalone
    | machine, not some subscription or dish linked service. Like a VCR,
    | just with a LOT more space and user-friendly. There are some things I
    | don't like about it because I didn't research as well as I could have,

    Have you subsequently found a better product? (I have the DMR-E100H
    which I guess is also discontinued. I'm generally happy with it, though
    it seems to become non-responsive to the remote for seconds to minutes
    on occasion. It also lacks an IR output.)

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com
  27. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Hey everyone, thanks for your inputs. I gotta look around some more, for smething asbasic
    as I can. I pretty much just need something with a timer :) not a lot of razzle dazzle,
    but even so, it seems that the cost is going to be $200+. I presume there is nothing on
    the low end, like how you can get a DVD player from Hitachi for $69.
    --
    "... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all
    things, we shall do what needs to be done."
    --till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
  28. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <BED361D8.3828C%ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net>,
    ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

    >TIVO uses the telephone to call in and get the TV Guide, and the newer
    >models won't function without it.

    Right, but we're talking standalone DVRs, not TiVo. They don't need
    to call anywhere. (BTW, does TiVo really get its info from TV Guide?
    I guess it has to get it somewhere, but for some reason, I thought it
    came from Tribune Media Services, not TV Guide.)

    >The DVR box from Cox cable gets it's TV
    >Guide information from the cable feed itself. You said you've used a TV
    >Guide electronic program? How does it get it's listings?

    From whichever station is sending them out in the Bay Area, probably
    somewhere on that ever-useful Vertical Blanking Interval. I just need
    to turn off the DVR occasionally so it can download the schedule info.
    Which, as I mentioned, I've only done a couple of times, because I'm
    mostly recording off DirecTV and TV Guide On Screen doesn't work with that.

    Here's more info on it: http://www.tvgos.com/.

    Patty
  29. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    in article d8lmmp$pln$1@bolt.sonic.net, Patty Winter at
    patty1@wintertime.com wrote on 6/13/05 9:33 PM:

    > In article <BED361D8.3828C%ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net>,
    > ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> TIVO uses the telephone to call in and get the TV Guide, and the newer
    >> models won't function without it.
    >
    > Right, but we're talking standalone DVRs, not TiVo. They don't need
    > to call anywhere. (BTW, does TiVo really get its info from TV Guide?
    > I guess it has to get it somewhere, but for some reason, I thought it
    > came from Tribune Media Services, not TV Guide.)

    I thought of that as I typed it, but since TV Guide for all intents and
    purposes has stopped carrying TV listings, I just use their name as a
    generic now. Yes, I'm being petulant.

    >> The DVR box from Cox cable gets it's TV
    >> Guide information from the cable feed itself. You said you've used a TV
    >> Guide electronic program? How does it get it's listings?
    >
    > From whichever station is sending them out in the Bay Area, probably
    > somewhere on that ever-useful Vertical Blanking Interval. I just need
    > to turn off the DVR occasionally so it can download the schedule info.
    > Which, as I mentioned, I've only done a couple of times, because I'm
    > mostly recording off DirecTV and TV Guide On Screen doesn't work with that.
    >
    > Here's more info on it: http://www.tvgos.com/.
    >

    > Patty

    Cool, thanks.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <1118694707.337396.21590@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    fruitbat <fru1tbat@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> Patty Winter wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Oh, my model is the HX900.
    >
    >Last time I looked at that model, it was overpriced, by the way, and
    >didn't have the features of some of its less-expensive competitors...

    Interesting. Anything in particular you recall? I've been very pleased
    with it.

    Patty
  31. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Patty Winter wrote:
    > fruitbat wrote:

    > > Last time I looked at that model, it was overpriced, by the way,
    > > and didn't have the features of some of its less-expensive
    > > competitors...
    >
    > Interesting. Anything in particular you recall? I've been very
    > pleased with it.

    I may have judged it too harshly, but I was looking specifically for a
    unit that had a quick live pause feature and picture-in-picture review
    for checking the current recording while watching in chase-play mode.
    The Sony also didn't appear to be able to copy titles (i.e. make a
    duplicate on the HD so that mistakes in editing wouldn't affect the
    original). The reviews said it was generally a very good unit, and it
    does have some features that many others lack, but it's also missing
    one or two that were important to me.

    Then there's the price... Currently, the Panasonic DMR-E95HS (which
    seems roughly equivalent) costs $360 at B&H, while the Sony costs
    around $550... At Amazon, there's a similar difference ($400 vs $600).
    Is it really worth $200 more for the functionality, or is it just the
    Sony name?

    Jeff
  32. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Best bang-for-the-buck *was* probably the LiteOn-5054 from costco.com
    for $300. Now gone, it's still useful as a benchmark.

    A "media center" PC could also function as a DVR, for a mere $1.5-2K.

  33. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Fake ID wrote:
    > Best bang-for-the-buck *was* probably the LiteOn-5054 from costco.com
    > for $300. Now gone, it's still useful as a benchmark.
    >
    > A "media center" PC could also function as a DVR, for a mere $1.5-2K.
    >
    > m\

    Avoid no-name brands like this. And buying from warehouse stores.
    Nothing but trouble.... because you always get what you pay for.

    Spend $600 and get the Panasonic with the 40 gHDD AND the DVD burner.

    It's quality- because it is a rare find: a device still actually made
    in Japan- not China or Malaysia.
  34. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    GMAN wrote:
    > In article <1118788898.303270.260150@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "rst" <senninha@ziplip.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >Fake ID wrote:
    > >> Best bang-for-the-buck *was* probably the LiteOn-5054 from costco.com
    > >> for $300. Now gone, it's still useful as a benchmark.
    > >>
    > >> A "media center" PC could also function as a DVR, for a mere $1.5-2K.
    > >>
    > >> m\
    > >

    > >Avoid no-name brands like this. And buying from warehouse stores.
    > >Nothing but trouble.... because you always get what you pay for.
    > >
    > >Spend $600 and get the Panasonic with the 40 gHDD AND the DVD burner.
    > >
    > >It's quality- because it is a rare find: a device still actually made
    > >in Japan- not China or Malaysia.
    > >
    > Actually that LiteOn 5045 model is a much more capable unit compared to that
    > panasonic model

    Nope. Panasonic records on DVD-RAM discs - this thing does not. And
    picture quality is superior.
    And who ever heard of "LiteOn"??

    You get what you pay for.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <1118788898.303270.260150@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "rst" <senninha@ziplip.com> wrote:

    >Fake ID wrote:
    >> Best bang-for-the-buck *was* probably the LiteOn-5054 from costco.com
    >> for $300. Now gone, it's still useful as a benchmark.
    >>
    >> A "media center" PC could also function as a DVR, for a mere $1.5-2K.
    >>
    >> m\
    >

    >Avoid no-name brands like this. And buying from warehouse stores.
    >Nothing but trouble.... because you always get what you pay for.
    >
    >Spend $600 and get the Panasonic with the 40 gHDD AND the DVD burner.
    >
    >It's quality- because it is a rare find: a device still actually made
    >in Japan- not China or Malaysia.

    Actually that LiteOn 5045 model is a much more capable unit compared to that
    panasonic model
  36. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote in rec.arts.tv:

    > I thought of that as I typed it, but since TV Guide for all
    > intents and purposes has stopped carrying TV listings, I just use
    > their name as a generic now. Yes, I'm being petulant.

    Man, no kidding. I don't use a box with my cable, so I don't get
    listings. The TVG OnScreen that comes with the DVR is all I really
    have. It's not THAT bad, except that for some reason it thinks my zip
    code should have different listings. I finally told it I lived up the
    street and now it gets the right ones. ;)

    --
    Brandy  Alexandre®
    http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
    Well, would you?
  37. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    in article 1118796344.aaf4883b1729413964cd51d07ced7609@teranews,
    Brandy  Alexandre at brandy@kamikaze.orgy wrote on 6/14/05 5:45 PM:

    > ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote in rec.arts.tv:
    >
    >> I thought of that as I typed it, but since TV Guide for all
    >> intents and purposes has stopped carrying TV listings, I just use
    >> their name as a generic now. Yes, I'm being petulant.
    >
    > Man, no kidding. I don't use a box with my cable, so I don't get
    > listings. The TVG OnScreen that comes with the DVR is all I really
    > have. It's not THAT bad, except that for some reason it thinks my zip
    > code should have different listings. I finally told it I lived up the
    > street and now it gets the right ones. ;)

    LOL, I had to do that with the YAHOO guide. I couldn't get the right
    listings for my house, but when I told it I was my Mom in the next city, I
    got mine fine. Go figure. :-D
  38. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote in rec.arts.tv:

    > in article 1118711605.0cd5a558b5301ab1921ba835d6872c8e@teranews,
    > Brandy  Alexandre at brandy@kamikaze.orgy wrote on 6/13/05 6:13
    > PM:
    >
    >> ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote in rec.arts.tv:
    >>
    >>> in article 1118627424.115cd6ddc219d3eff29e9a1f9a628a86@teranews,
    >>> Brandy  Alexandre at brandy@kamikaze.orgy wrote on 6/12/05 6:50
    >>> PM:

    >>> What model do you have? I don't see anything at Amazon that
    >>> isn't a Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive seemingly stuck
    >>> on as an afterthought?
    >>>

    >> It's a DMR-E85H. It has a 180mb hard drive in it and in SP
    >> stores over 50 hours, and EP over 250. It comes with TV Guide
    >> OnScreen for listings and ease of recording. It's way cool.
    >
    > Thanks. Annoyingly, the various horrible reviews about Panasonics
    > at Amazon say stuff like 'the old ones were much better' -- heavy
    > sigh.

    I read some those and it sounded like a bunch of geeks who want to be
    using the machine for high-end recording and editing. For your basic
    viewing and recording, it's perfectly good machine.

    --
    Brandy  Alexandre®
    http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
    Well, would you?
  39. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Fake ID wrote:
    > rst <senninha@ziplip.com> wrote:
    >
    > Correction: 5045
    >
    > > And who ever heard of "LiteOn"??
    >
    > I had, as makers of a wide array of electronic components.

    I've heard of them too, and the impression I had was that they made
    cheap poorer-quality electronics. I decided to give them a fair shot
    (more or less), though, so I looked up a review or two and went to
    their website.

    > > You get what you pay for.
    >
    > Apparently "Panasonic" is worth $300 to you.

    CNET says the LiteOn LVW-5045 has a bug that can introduce lip-sync
    problems into longer recordings. They also calls its feature set
    "hobbled" (for instance, the inability to watch one program while
    recording another). Maybe they've addressed these issues with firmware
    updates...

    I found out on their website that with the 5045, I can record up to 198
    hours of video program, and also that the coexistence of the optical
    disc drive and HDD doesn't stay for nothing! That doesn't exactly
    inspire confidence (whatever it means)...

    So yes, "Panasonic" is worth a slight premium, I suppose.

    Jeff
  40. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <1118801005.837944.304940@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    rst <senninha@ziplip.com> wrote:

    >GMAN wrote:
    >> In article <1118788898.303270.260150@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

    Correction: 5045

    >And who ever heard of "LiteOn"??

    I had, as makers of a wide array of electronic components.

    >You get what you pay for.

    Apparently "Panasonic" is worth $300 to you.

  41. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Brandy  Alexandre wrote:

    >On the flip side, blank DVDs can be found very cheap. Often on sale at
    >Fry's for 30 cents each and under.

    What kind of store is "Fry's"? I'm guessing it's a west coast chain?

    ..:. Craig
  42. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    in article 7lu0b1dd6jcpkeod32mv90pkk8812utq50@4ax.com, Craig Smith at
    craig@smithcraft.org wrote on 6/15/05 12:00 PM:

    > Brandy  Alexandre wrote:
    >
    >> On the flip side, blank DVDs can be found very cheap. Often on sale at
    >> Fry's for 30 cents each and under.
    >
    > What kind of store is "Fry's"? I'm guessing it's a west coast chain?
    >
    > .:. Craig

    Depending on where you are, it's a low end supermarket chain that smells of
    spoiled food, or a gigantic Electronics chain. In my case, it's both. I
    would assume she means the Electronics chain.
  43. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    ANIM8Rfsk <ANIM8Rfsk@cox.net> wrote in rec.arts.tv:

    > in article 7lu0b1dd6jcpkeod32mv90pkk8812utq50@4ax.com, Craig Smith
    > at craig@smithcraft.org wrote on 6/15/05 12:00 PM:
    >
    >> Brandy  Alexandre wrote:
    >>
    >>> On the flip side, blank DVDs can be found very cheap. Often on
    >>> sale at Fry's for 30 cents each and under.
    >>
    >> What kind of store is "Fry's"? I'm guessing it's a west coast
    >> chain?
    >>
    >> .:. Craig
    >
    > Depending on where you are, it's a low end supermarket chain that
    > smells of spoiled food, or a gigantic Electronics chain. In my
    > case, it's both. I would assume she means the Electronics chain.

    Yeah, I haven't found a DVR in the freezer section yet. ;)

    They're web site for online ordering is Outpost.com

    --
    Brandy  Alexandre®
    http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
    Well, would you?
  44. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <7lu0b1dd6jcpkeod32mv90pkk8812utq50@4ax.com>, Craig Smith <craig@smithcraft.org> wrote:
    >Brandy  Alexandre wrote:
    >
    >>On the flip side, blank DVDs can be found very cheap. Often on sale at
    >>Fry's for 30 cents each and under.
    >
    >What kind of store is "Fry's"? I'm guessing it's a west coast chain?
    >
    >..:. Craig
    They also own www.outpost.com
  45. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <1118801005.837944.304940@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "rst" <senninha@ziplip.com> wrote:

    >GMAN wrote:
    >> In article <1118788898.303270.260150@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "rst"
    > <senninha@ziplip.com> wrote:

    >> >Avoid no-name brands like this. And buying from warehouse stores.
    >> >Nothing but trouble.... because you always get what you pay for.
    >> >
    >> >Spend $600 and get the Panasonic with the 40 gHDD AND the DVD burner.
    >> >
    >> >It's quality- because it is a rare find: a device still actually made
    >> >in Japan- not China or Malaysia.
    >> >
    >> Actually that LiteOn 5045 model is a much more capable unit compared to that
    >> panasonic model
    >
    >Nope. Panasonic records on DVD-RAM discs - this thing does not. And
    >picture quality is superior.
    >And who ever heard of "LiteOn"??

    Who cares about Ram disks when it can do the real formats that were designed
    for video in the first place

    >You get what you pay for.

    Liteon is the largest OEM manufacturer of CDROM mechanisms in taiwan. Many of
    the large name brand DVD+-RW and CDRW/CD Rom computer drives are made by
    them. If you have bought a Sony drive over the last few years it has been made
    by LiteOn.

    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5444

    or more specifically

    www.homecinemachoice.com_cgi-bin_outputpdf.php_file=HCC_113_068_HCC_113.pdf
  46. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In alt.video.digital-tv Gordon Burditt <gordonb.aiar8@burditt.org> wrote:

    | Cable has a serious reputation problem with me. They haven't
    | convinced me yet that they can get the billing right. When you pay
    | the bill, the "Balance Due" is supposed to go down by the amount
    | of the payment. They are not supposed to add the amount of the
    | payment to the monthly rate.

    They're still doing that after 30 years?

  47. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    >| Cable has a serious reputation problem with me. They haven't
    >| convinced me yet that they can get the billing right. When you pay
    >| the bill, the "Balance Due" is supposed to go down by the amount
    >| of the payment. They are not supposed to add the amount of the
    >| payment to the monthly rate.
    >
    >They're still doing that after 30 years?

    I gave up subscribing after a few months, but every time they send
    someone around asking me to sign up again, I ask them about the
    problem and they aren't willing to even attempt claiming they've
    fixed the problem (or even claim they understand what the problem
    is). Much less show me the source code.

    Gordon L. Burditt
  48. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    Gordon Burditt wrote:

    >>| Cable has a serious reputation problem with me. They haven't
    >>| convinced me yet that they can get the billing right. When you pay
    >>| the bill, the "Balance Due" is supposed to go down by the amount
    >>| of the payment. They are not supposed to add the amount of the
    >>| payment to the monthly rate.
    >>
    >>They're still doing that after 30 years?
    >

    > I gave up subscribing after a few months, but every time they send
    > someone around asking me to sign up again, I ask them about the
    > problem and they aren't willing to even attempt claiming they've
    > fixed the problem (or even claim they understand what the problem
    > is). Much less show me the source code.
    >
    > Gordon L. Burditt

    The best movie ever on DVD... no, the best movie in the history of
    movies is, 'Tunnel Vision' (1976).

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075357/

    Directed by Neal Israel and Bradley R. Swirnoff. Written by Neal Israel
    and Michael Mislove. Starring... uh, a bunch of people.
  49. Archived from groups: rec.arts.tv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

    In article <11centpdc42amf3@corp.supernews.com>,
    gordonb.e7o2h@burditt.org (Gordon Burditt) wrote:

    > >| Cable has a serious reputation problem with me. They haven't
    > >| convinced me yet that they can get the billing right. When you pay
    > >| the bill, the "Balance Due" is supposed to go down by the amount
    > >| of the payment. They are not supposed to add the amount of the
    > >| payment to the monthly rate.
    > >
    > >They're still doing that after 30 years?
    >
    > I gave up subscribing after a few months, but every time they send
    > someone around asking me to sign up again, I ask them about the
    > problem and they aren't willing to even attempt claiming they've
    > fixed the problem (or even claim they understand what the problem
    > is). Much less show me the source code.

    I've been a cable subscriber for over 20 years, and yet I've never
    encountered this standard industry practice. If they'd been adding the
    amount I paid to the balance due instead of subtracting it, my bill
    would be around $24,000 now.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA