Sign in with
Your question

AAAA MOTHER BOARD BURNED OUT!

Last response: in Motherboards
March 6, 2009 12:08:04 AM

My motherboard got burned...and melted -_-. I HAD biostar tf8200 am+ motherboard and then today it failed to boot. I had thought i smelled something burning, but wasn't sure DX. Well anyways, now that its dead, i want to know why it died so i can prevent this from happening in the future. These are my guesses of what might have hurt it:
*I was running at 1.425 volt for cpu overclock...would this hurt the system? I guess if it does its just a bad mobo
*When overclocking, i frequently rebooted the computer...would this hurt it or cause it to heat up?
*Would running at too high of a fsb hurt the mobo?
*Or, maybe the mother board just sux (probably this one)

Well, if there are any other reasons you think it is then tell me so it won't happen again. Also, if the motherboard fails like this will anything else get damaged? I don't have another motherboard to check and my new ones comming in now. So...tell my why it broke XD
March 6, 2009 12:19:35 AM

*or is is possible that the heat pipes on my heatsink leaked and the stuff that i thought was melted mother board was heat pipe fluid???? Would that burn and harden? i guess it wouldn't
*or could it be thermal compound i spilled on the mother board?? would that burn and turn hard black?
Well i wish i knew this before...at least now i know why my overclocks were so "unstable" now lol
a c 95 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2009 12:24:25 AM

Quote:
I was running at 1.425 volt for cpu overclock...would this hurt the system? I guess if it does its just a bad mobo

Without knowing what CPU you had in there, hard to say. Having a high Vcore would normally hurt the CPU before the motherboard. If it was an unsafe setting for the board, it wouldn't have been in there.

Quote:
When overclocking, i frequently rebooted the computer...would this hurt it or cause it to heat up?

Unless we are talking REALLY frequently, or you have a high temp problem, then again it shouldn't have mattered.

Quote:
Would running at too high of a fsb hurt the mobo?

This is possible, you did stress test and check for stability right?

Quote:
Or, maybe the mother board just sux (probably this one)

Possibly. Biostar isn't the best brand out there. Even the best brands have failures, so perhaps you just got a dud.

Something else to consider is your power/PSU. If you live in an area that suffers from "dirty" power, then a spike could have taken out your system. If you were using a cheap PSU that could have allowed a spike to hit your system as well. If you have dirty power, consider getting an UPS. If you have a cheap PSU, get a good one.
Related resources
March 6, 2009 12:38:47 AM

"Would running at too high of a fsb hurt the mobo?"

Well, i thought i smelled burning during stress testing lol

I have heard a sizzling noise from my computer for awhile, since i got a new heatskink the zalman 9700. Is it possible that oil, or mentioned earlier, heatsink fluid, leak from the heatsink to burn the mobo?
a c 95 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2009 1:57:53 AM

Your tried running a computer with a sizzling noise? You ran it smelling smoke?

Heatsinks are sealed tubes. Unless you were doing something to them, they tend to stay sealed. I'm not sure if the fluid is conductive, perhaps someone else knows. (I don't think it is.) Thermal paste however is conductive. If you used to much of that, it can short something out. Your not supposed to use a lot anyways, as to much is just as bad as none at all.
!