how to shrink the size of digital camera images?

networm

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

HI all,

I have a bunch of digital camera images: right click on them, and select
"send to recipient", Windows XP has a very nice feature to ask me if I want
to make them smaller before sending them out. It goes down from 200KB to
30KB for a JPEG image. I like this feature.

Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find the
auto-shrink feature.

Please don't advise me to download any photoshop software, etc. I don't have
money and time to play around with a sophiscated software; I just need a
shortcut as simple and as quick as possible... hopefully in 2 seconds, all
my images will be shrinked in size...

Thanks a lot!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
> example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find the
> auto-shrink feature.

Why not send them to yourself?! This will give you shrunken versions!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

Install Image Resizer Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP.

Select one or several image files, right click and select Resize Pictures.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

networm wrote:
> HI all,
>
> I have a bunch of digital camera images: right click on
> them, and select "send to recipient", Windows XP has a
> very nice feature to ask me if I want to make them
> smaller before sending them out. It goes down from 200KB
> to 30KB for a JPEG image. I like this feature.
> Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out
> in email? For example, I want to post pictues on line...
> I cannot see where can I find the auto-shrink feature.
>
> Please don't advise me to download any photoshop
> software, etc. I don't have money and time to play around
> with a sophiscated software; I just need a shortcut as
> simple and as quick as possible... hopefully in 2
> seconds, all my images will be shrinked in size...
> Thanks a lot!

networm

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2005

"AndrewMead" <AndrewMead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
>> example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find
>> the
>> auto-shrink feature.
>>

> Why not send them to yourself?! This will give you shrunken versions!

Ahha, this is the smartest solution I've seen!
:=)
Great!
The only problem with this approach is that it is not fastest!

Reason:

Sending out a bunch of images is easy. But save a bunch of attached images
into local directory is pain in the neck for Outlook 2003.

I have to save one image after another.

Suppose you have 10 images in attachment. That's terrible.

Try irfanview its free an unsophisticated. http://www.irfanview.com/

"networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> HI all,
>
> I have a bunch of digital camera images: right click on them, and select
> "send to recipient", Windows XP has a very nice feature to ask me if I
> want to make them smaller before sending them out. It goes down from 200KB
> to 30KB for a JPEG image. I like this feature.
>
> Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
> example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find
> the auto-shrink feature.
>
> Please don't advise me to download any photoshop software, etc. I don't
> have money and time to play around with a sophiscated software; I just
> need a shortcut as simple and as quick as possible... hopefully in 2
> seconds, all my images will be shrinked in size...
>
> Thanks a lot!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I do not have the OP to quote.
I recommend free Picasa 2 to send pix of exactly the proper size via
e-mail.
Suggest y'all use Google to locate if interested.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Get this free image program
IRFANVIEW: http://www.irfanview.com/

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:56:52 -0700, "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have a bunch of digital camera images: right click on them, and select
>"send to recipient", Windows XP has a very nice feature to ask me if I want
>to make them smaller before sending them out. It goes down from 200KB to
>30KB for a JPEG image. I like this feature.

First thing I do after a reinstall is disable this feature. Each to
their own <g>.

>Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
>example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find the
>auto-shrink feature.

It is only for emailing. You will have to get the image resizing
powertoy from MSoft's web site.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You have to be kidding, right!!!

See my earlier reply to your post.

--

"networm" wrote:

> "AndrewMead" <AndrewMead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
> >> example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find
> >> the
> >> auto-shrink feature.
> >>

> > Why not send them to yourself?! This will give you shrunken versions!
>

> Ahha, this is the smartest solution I've seen!
> :=)
> Great!
> The only problem with this approach is that it is not fastest!
>
> Reason:

> Sending out a bunch of images is easy. But save a bunch of attached images
> into local directory is pain in the neck for Outlook 2003.

> I have to save one image after another.

> Suppose you have 10 images in attachment. That's terrible.

You can delete the incoming email - they will (should) be in your 'sent
items' folder.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

IRFANVIEW will do batch processing...and it is free.

some support

wrote in message

out in email? For
see where can I find

| > > Why not send them to yourself?! This will give you
shrunken versions!

| > Ahha, this is the smartest solution I've seen!
| > :=)
| > Great!
| > The only problem with this approach is that it is not
fastest!

| > Reason:
|
| > Sending out a bunch of images is easy. But save a bunch
of attached images
| > into local directory is pain in the neck for Outlook
2003.

| > I have to save one image after another.
|
| > Suppose you have 10 images in attachment. That's
terrible.

| You can delete the incoming email - they will (should) be
in your 'sent
| items' folder.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

XnView is much better than IrfanView and is also freeware.
http://www.xnview.com

"Pentium" <pent@anycomp.info> wrote in message
> Get this free image program
> IRFANVIEW: http://www.irfanview.com/
>

> "Shelly F" <shellyfnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I do not have the OP to quote.
>> I recommend free Picasa 2 to send pix of exactly the proper size via
>> e-mail.
>> Suggest y'all use Google to locate if interested.

johnf

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Agree. Couldn't do without it!

--

johnf

> Get this free image program
> IRFANVIEW: http://www.irfanview.com/
>

> "Shelly F" <shellyfnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I do not have the OP to quote.
>> I recommend free Picasa 2 to send pix of exactly the proper size via
>> e-mail.
>> Suggest y'all use Google to locate if interested.

johnf

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In what ways is it better? What can it do that Irfanview can't?
(IrfanView is also freeware)

--

johnf

> XnView is much better than IrfanView and is also freeware.
> http://www.xnview.com
>

> "Pentium" <pent@anycomp.info> wrote in message
>> Get this free image program
>> IRFANVIEW: http://www.irfanview.com/
>>

>> "Shelly F" <shellyfnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I do not have the OP to quote.
>>> I recommend free Picasa 2 to send pix of exactly the proper size via
>>> e-mail.
>>> Suggest y'all use Google to locate if interested.

Glen

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Try a free program called Paint.NET. Its made by a university student and is
similar to photoshop and paint shop pro. Im not talking about advanced
features but it certainly has enough features for most people.

Glen