how to shrink the size of digital camera images?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

HI all,

I have a bunch of digital camera images: right click on them, and select
"send to recipient", Windows XP has a very nice feature to ask me if I want
to make them smaller before sending them out. It goes down from 200KB to
30KB for a JPEG image. I like this feature.

Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find the
auto-shrink feature.

Please don't advise me to download any photoshop software, etc. I don't have
money and time to play around with a sophiscated software; I just need a
shortcut as simple and as quick as possible... hopefully in 2 seconds, all
my images will be shrinked in size...

Thanks a lot!
14 answers Last reply
More about shrink size digital camera images
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
    > example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find the
    > auto-shrink feature.

    Why not send them to yourself?! This will give you shrunken versions!
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi,

    Install Image Resizer Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP.

    Select one or several image files, right click and select Resize Pictures.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    networm wrote:
    > HI all,
    >
    > I have a bunch of digital camera images: right click on
    > them, and select "send to recipient", Windows XP has a
    > very nice feature to ask me if I want to make them
    > smaller before sending them out. It goes down from 200KB
    > to 30KB for a JPEG image. I like this feature.
    > Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out
    > in email? For example, I want to post pictues on line...
    > I cannot see where can I find the auto-shrink feature.
    >
    > Please don't advise me to download any photoshop
    > software, etc. I don't have money and time to play around
    > with a sophiscated software; I just need a shortcut as
    > simple and as quick as possible... hopefully in 2
    > seconds, all my images will be shrinked in size...
    > Thanks a lot!
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "AndrewMead" <AndrewMead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
    >> example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find
    >> the
    >> auto-shrink feature.
    >>

    > Why not send them to yourself?! This will give you shrunken versions!

    Ahha, this is the smartest solution I've seen!
    :=)
    Great!
    The only problem with this approach is that it is not fastest!

    Reason:

    Sending out a bunch of images is easy. But save a bunch of attached images
    into local directory is pain in the neck for Outlook 2003.

    I have to save one image after another.

    Suppose you have 10 images in attachment. That's terrible.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Try irfanview its free an unsophisticated. http://www.irfanview.com/

    "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > HI all,
    >
    > I have a bunch of digital camera images: right click on them, and select
    > "send to recipient", Windows XP has a very nice feature to ask me if I
    > want to make them smaller before sending them out. It goes down from 200KB
    > to 30KB for a JPEG image. I like this feature.
    >
    > Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
    > example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find
    > the auto-shrink feature.
    >
    > Please don't advise me to download any photoshop software, etc. I don't
    > have money and time to play around with a sophiscated software; I just
    > need a shortcut as simple and as quick as possible... hopefully in 2
    > seconds, all my images will be shrinked in size...
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I do not have the OP to quote.
    I recommend free Picasa 2 to send pix of exactly the proper size via
    e-mail.
    Suggest y'all use Google to locate if interested.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Get this free image program
    IRFANVIEW: http://www.irfanview.com/

    "Shelly F" <shellyfnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I do not have the OP to quote.
    > I recommend free Picasa 2 to send pix of exactly the proper size via
    > e-mail.
    > Suggest y'all use Google to locate if interested.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:56:52 -0700, "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a bunch of digital camera images: right click on them, and select
    >"send to recipient", Windows XP has a very nice feature to ask me if I want
    >to make them smaller before sending them out. It goes down from 200KB to
    >30KB for a JPEG image. I like this feature.

    First thing I do after a reinstall is disable this feature. Each to
    their own <g>.

    >Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
    >example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find the
    >auto-shrink feature.

    It is only for emailing. You will have to get the image resizing
    powertoy from MSoft's web site.

    --
    Cheers,

    Guy

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You have to be kidding, right!!!

    See my earlier reply to your post.

    --

    networm wrote:
    > "AndrewMead" wrote

    >>> Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures
    >>> out in email? For example, I want to post pictues on
    >>> line... I cannot see where can I find the
    >>> auto-shrink feature.
    >>>

    >> Why not send them to yourself?! This will give you
    >> shrunken versions!
    >

    > Ahha, this is the smartest solution I've seen!
    > :=)
    > Great!
    > The only problem with this approach is that it is not
    > fastest!
    > Reason:
    >
    > Sending out a bunch of images is easy. But save a bunch
    > of attached images into local directory is pain in the
    > neck for Outlook 2003.
    > I have to save one image after another.
    >
    > Suppose you have 10 images in attachment. That's terrible.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "networm" wrote:

    > "AndrewMead" <AndrewMead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Now can I use this feature when not sending pictures out in email? For
    > >> example, I want to post pictues on line... I cannot see where can I find
    > >> the
    > >> auto-shrink feature.
    > >>

    > > Why not send them to yourself?! This will give you shrunken versions!
    >

    > Ahha, this is the smartest solution I've seen!
    > :=)
    > Great!
    > The only problem with this approach is that it is not fastest!
    >
    > Reason:

    > Sending out a bunch of images is easy. But save a bunch of attached images
    > into local directory is pain in the neck for Outlook 2003.

    > I have to save one image after another.

    > Suppose you have 10 images in attachment. That's terrible.

    You can delete the incoming email - they will (should) be in your 'sent
    items' folder.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    IRFANVIEW will do batch processing...and it is free.

    some support

    wrote in message

    | > > Why not send them to yourself?! This will give you
    shrunken versions!

    | > Ahha, this is the smartest solution I've seen!
    | > :=)
    | > Great!
    | > The only problem with this approach is that it is not
    fastest!

    | > Reason:
    |
    | > Sending out a bunch of images is easy. But save a bunch
    of attached images
    | > into local directory is pain in the neck for Outlook
    2003.

    | > I have to save one image after another.
    |
    | > Suppose you have 10 images in attachment. That's
    terrible.

    | You can delete the incoming email - they will (should) be
    in your 'sent
    | items' folder.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    XnView is much better than IrfanView and is also freeware.
    http://www.xnview.com

    "Pentium" <pent@anycomp.info> wrote in message
    > Get this free image program
    > IRFANVIEW: http://www.irfanview.com/
    >

    > "Shelly F" <shellyfnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I do not have the OP to quote.
    >> I recommend free Picasa 2 to send pix of exactly the proper size via
    >> e-mail.
    >> Suggest y'all use Google to locate if interested.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Agree. Couldn't do without it!

    --

    johnf

    > Get this free image program
    > IRFANVIEW: http://www.irfanview.com/
    >

    > "Shelly F" <shellyfnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I do not have the OP to quote.
    >> I recommend free Picasa 2 to send pix of exactly the proper size via
    >> e-mail.
    >> Suggest y'all use Google to locate if interested.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In what ways is it better? What can it do that Irfanview can't?
    (IrfanView is also freeware)

    --

    johnf

    > XnView is much better than IrfanView and is also freeware.
    > http://www.xnview.com
    >

    > "Pentium" <pent@anycomp.info> wrote in message
    >> Get this free image program
    >> IRFANVIEW: http://www.irfanview.com/
    >>

    >> "Shelly F" <shellyfnospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I do not have the OP to quote.
    >>> I recommend free Picasa 2 to send pix of exactly the proper size via
    >>> e-mail.
    >>> Suggest y'all use Google to locate if interested.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Try a free program called Paint.NET. Its made by a university student and is
    similar to photoshop and paint shop pro. Im not talking about advanced
    features but it certainly has enough features for most people.

    Glen

    > IRFANVIEW will do batch processing...and it is free.

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "AndrewMead" <AndrewMead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > |

    > | "networm" wrote:
    > |

    > | > "AndrewMead" <AndrewMead@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message

    > out in email? For
    > see where can I find

    > shrunken versions!
    > | >

    > | > Ahha, this is the smartest solution I've seen!
    > | > :=)
    > | > Great!
    > | > The only problem with this approach is that it is not
    > fastest!
    > | >
    > | > Reason:
    > |
    > | > Sending out a bunch of images is easy. But save a bunch
    > of attached images
    > | > into local directory is pain in the neck for Outlook
    > 2003.
    > |
    > | > I have to save one image after another.
    > |
    > | > Suppose you have 10 images in attachment. That's
    > terrible.
    > |

    > | You can delete the incoming email - they will (should) be
    > in your 'sent
    > | items' folder.

Cameras Microsoft Windows XP