Sign in with
Your question

Gigbyte support, Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2010 7:45:28 AM

OK. Maybe I'm being a little harsh on the gigabyte boys, but I found my little email exchange with their tech support funny - as it has a happy ending, but from my point of view they don't shine much.

Before you read this, understand that I’ve only built two pc’s before now, and both of those were seven years ago. I’m not a technical expert. Luckily for me, the guys who sold me the components know more about them than Gigabyte seem to. But what about the poor sap, who knows as little as I do and has noone to advise him different. ....

2/9/2010 20:53
Question:
Is my X58A UD3R motherboard's BIOS compatible with the i7 930 motherboard that is to be released at the end of the February.

I have not used the motherboard yet and do not know if I should buy an i7 920 immediately, or wait and buy an i7 930.

Reply:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, because the CPU is not released yet and the processor is still under testing, we are sorry that we can not answer your question at present. Once available, we will publish it on our website. Sorry for the inconvenience.

At last, if you still have any further question to this issue or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. If you have any issue different from original, make sure you issue a new form in order to get proper assistance and it may be response faster as well. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

Question:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply. You seem to be mistaken about the availability of the CPU. It has been available in my country for at least a week. Here is an example of one internet shop where I can buy it.

http://www.alza.cz/procesory/intel/socket-1366-sc-i7/18...

I am extremely surprised to hear that your company has not finished testing the product. I require more clear information about how long I shall have to wait. If it proves that the i7 930 does not have a bios compatibility with the X58A UD3R which I bought last week then I shall have to buy the i7 920.

However, the i7 930 is replacing the i7 920, and the i7 920 will shortly be extremely difficult to buy in my country. Finding that your company hasn't finished testing the processor is very disappointing - when the processor is already available on the market for the consumer to buy.

I would be grateful if you could pass my criticism on to your superior.

Yours

Reply:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, this processor is still under testing. We are sorry if there is any inconvenience.

After the testing procedure finish, we will publish it on our website as soon as possible. Here is the CPU Support List about the motherboard for your reference: CLICK HERE.

At last, if you still have any further question to this issue or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. If you have any issue different from original, make sure you issue a new form in order to get proper assistance and it may be response faster as well. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

Then on 28/2/10 the official date of release Gigabyte post the compatibility:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo...

It states that i7 930 needs a BIOS 4 to run.

2/28/2010 22:18

i7 930 need BIOS 4.

Question : Hello,

I have a question about the x58a ud3r motherboard and it's compatibility with the i7 930. From your website I can see that to run the processor I will need bios version 4 for the motherboard.

Here is my question, I am building a new computer from scratch. My motherboard is bios version 1, if I build the system with the i7 930, will I be able to start the computer, install windows 7 and then from windows 7 make an automatic bios update to version 4? Or will i just get a black screen on start up?

Obviously I would prefer to know before I build the computer. And obviously it's easier for me if I can do an automatic bios update. If I will have to get a flash update I will have to pay for it and also there's the problem of getting to the local distributor.

I would be grateful if you could advise me before I start to build my pc.

Many thanks

Dear sir ,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, please do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction. We suggest you to use Q-Flash tool to update BIOS. About how to use Q-Flash to update BIOS, please click HERE.

After bios updating, please do not forget to load BIOS fail-safe default setting and please also do not try to overclock your system at this moment.

If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

3/3/2010 00:30
Question :
Sir/ Madam,

you haven't answered my question.

I repeat it.

If I build my computer with an i7 930 and the X58A UD3R rev1, with BIOS 1, when I turn on the computer will I be able to install Windows 7 and then update my Bios 1 to Bios 4?

Or will I get a black screen? And hence need to flash BIOS update..

It's a simple question. Please can you answer it? If you don't speak very good English, or you don't understand my question, please ask someone who does speak English to translate it for you.

Reply:

Dear sir,

Please take a look at CPU support list carefully :
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo...

GA-X58A-UD3R(rev. 1.0) support i7 930 by F4 BIOS or later version. If BIOS of MB is F1, please use other CPU with F1 BIOS support to update BIOS to F4 and replug support i7 930 later.

If you have any further questions to this issue or suggestions about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact us. If the issue is different from original, make sure you issue a new form in order to get proper assistance and it may be response faster as well. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

My reply:

Sir/Madam,

Unbelievable, truly unbelievable! What kind of advice are you giving to people????

Because of your reply, and the fact I do not own an i7 920 and have no chance of updating my motherboard bios in the way you suggest I returned the i7 930 to my retailer. Fortunately he is far wiser than you people seem to be. He advised me to test the i7 930 in the system before exchanging for an 920.

Which I did.

And guess what.................................what computer do you think I'm writing this email to you from? A computer with an X58A UD3R mobo with BIOS 1 and an i7 930 CPU !!!!!!!!!

What...what...what are you doing in your tech support office all day, because I don't see any connection between tech support and what I've just experienced in our exchange of emails?

Finally I have quote from your motherboard's manual:

"Bios updating is extremely risky. If you are not experiencing problems with your computer then we do not advise on updating your BIOS."

Which leaves me with a final problem - I am not experiencing problems with BIOS 1 - yet Gigabyte advise on their website that the i7 930 needs BIOS 4......should I update my BIOS?

That was a rhetorical question, by the way, the last people I will ask for an answer to that question are you guys in Gigabyte technical support....
March 5, 2010 7:56:01 AM

I wanted to ask a question of the community, concerning this, but couldn't get the edit feature to work.

When I've tried to update the BIOS to BIOS 4, the tech support software bundle that came with the mobo takes me to the gigabyte website and a list of BIos's I can download and then instructions on how to flash update the bios....

However, the instructions come with large warnings - flash updating your BIOS is extremely risky and can damage your computer, Gigabyte will not take responisbility for any damage resulting from an inadequate flash update. etc etc.

Is there a safer way of BIOS updating? Why isn't Gigabyte providing me with a safer way? Or are they, and I've just missed the link?

a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 12:47:45 PM

Follow the instructions exactly, and you should be fine. Just make sure you do understand the process, exactly what you are going to do, and do not deviate from that process once you start. Your board should have the dual BIOS feature, so if you do encounter a problem, it should recover from the backup BIOS. Read your manual very carefully, it will explain to you how it all works. Gigabyte is simply stating that if YOU screw it up, then it's your problem. You can return the board to them, and they will fix it, but they are going to charge you for it. It is more of a disclaimer than anything, because they would be getting hundreds of boards back with messed up BIOS's to fix if they did not put out the disclaimer. People like to mess with things they should not be messing with sometimes.

You are wanting to buy a product that has just been released, so full support indeed may not have been released quite yet, that is pretty normal and what you expect if want to stay right on the cutting edge with the newest products. That is why many of us prefer to build with hardware that has been out for a while, first adopters in the tech world many times unfortunately become the testers. Ever heard the phrase "bleeding to death on the cutting edge of technology"? This is the main reason these forums came about in the first place!
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 1:21:48 PM

At least with Gigabyte they use a dual BIOS so if something does go wrong in the process of flashing the main BIOS it is easy to recover from (actually the MOBO will usually automatically recover itself) so the flashing is less of a concern than it used to be where a failed attempt resulted in a non functional\nonrecoverable MOBO unless you ordered a new BIOS from the manufacturer.
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 3:35:17 PM

When you update your BIOS, you would be well advised to not used the windows based @BIOS software that Gigabyte produces. It has been known to brick boards when it fails.

Instead, use the QFlash utility that is available from within BIOS. It looks like Gigabyte support provided this same advice with a link for additional information, but given their other comments it would be very easy to overlook this. Stick with QFlash, it's a fairly simple procedure.
March 7, 2010 8:04:01 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm basically not sure if I should update the bios when the computer seems to be working just fine with BIOS 1.

@jitpublisher. I know, I was a it harsh of the tech support, they're only human, new product etc etc.

BUT my point is, the CPU WORKS in the mobo. If they had anything like reasonable communication between their testing labs and their support / communication people - and I presonally think that it's not unreasonable to expect it - tech support could/ would/ should have been able to tell me this.

Instead they sent me off on a wild goose chase for an i7 920.

I'm no pc expert and I believed them. Luckily I had a component dealer who isn't out to fleece me and who explained that trying the CPU in the mobo myself wouldn't harm either components.

gigabyte gave me poor advice....
March 14, 2010 4:09:30 AM

I have the exact same question as the OP... I.e. want to get this board and an i7-930 but don't have an i7-920 to bootstrap this BIOS update process with... I'm weary of running the mobo with an i7-930 and bios v1 when it only officially supports that cpu with bios version 4.

@greasy dave - did you ever end up flashing the bios?
March 14, 2010 1:30:12 PM

@ jetpack

Sorry it took me an age to get back to you. I'ev been really busy this last week and haven't had a chance to check the forum.

Yes, I built the machnie with an i7 930 in an X58 UD3R rev. 1 BIOS 1 mobo and the cpu works just fine. Actually it works better than fine. It just creams along. I've not tried to overclock. I'm still trying to update the BIOS before I try that.

BASically, Gigabyte told me a lot of nonsense.

Which brings me to my latest problem. Trying to use the @BIOS program. Trying to update the BIOS usng this has not worked. The program gives me an error cocnerning the ROM in file I want to install. I haven't had a chance to get back to my favourite people in the tech support departemtn and ask for advice....but I'll keep you posted.
a b K Overclocking
March 14, 2010 6:02:12 PM

I'll re-iterate what I mentioned before: when you update your BIOS, you would be well advised to not used the windows based @BIOS software that Gigabyte produces. It has been known to brick boards when it fails.

bilbat, one of the frequent contributors around here, likens using @BIOS to playing russian roulette and explains "The underlying problem would appear to be that, unlike the other BIOS flashing methods, an @BIOS flash gone awry can overwrite the BIOS' boot block."

Instead, use the QFlash utility that is available from within BIOS. It looks like Gigabyte support provided this same advice with a link for additional information, but given their other comments it would be very easy to overlook this.

Stick with QFlash, it's a fairly simple procedure. Here's a good guide for updating BIOS this way: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflas... But you no longer have to use a floppy, you can use a USB stick. Here's the basic steps:
1. Download latest BIOS
2. Unpack the downloaded file (double-click it/execute it, it's self-extracting) placing the extracted files onto your USB stick
3. With the USB stick in your PC, restart the PC
4. Enter BIOS
5. Enter QFlash - I believe using F8 but it will say at the bottom of your screen (it is possible to enter Qflash at startup without entering BIOS; either way is fine)
6. Find your USB drive (likely labeled HDD)
7. Install the new BIOS
8. Once that is done, back within the BIOS, choose "Load Optimized Defaults"
9. Save and exit, let the machine reboot
10. Re-enter BIOS to make additional changes as you see fit
a b K Overclocking
March 15, 2010 2:20:37 AM

I have used QFlash several times myself, and it always works flawlessly for me.
March 20, 2010 6:56:38 AM

OK. now gigabyte get the last laugh. :fou: 

Weird . I returned from a business trip yesterda and now I get a black screen on start up?!
I built this new system two weeks ago. Its worked like a dream. No problems.

From what I understand, this would seem to be the symptom of the MOBO bios not recognising the i7 930. Someting which Gigabyte warned about. But which didn't happen for two weeks, only now???

I was planning to flash the bios this weekend. But since I turned the machine on and found it worked and it's current state, I haven't done anything to the BIOS.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Especially as the bios recognised the processor for two weeks and I've made NO changes to it. Why would it suddenly start acting up now? at no point have i tried to change the bios settings or overclock the machine.

Is there another reason for this problem?

At start up, all the fans that are connected to the mobo start to run. The optical drivegreen light switches on and that's it. No signal to the monitor. The hard drive doesn't make a peep.

hope someone can giev me some advice.
If it is a bios problem. How do I go about getting it flashed now? Now that the machine doesn't even enter start up bios mode?

my system spcs are:

i7 930
gigabyte x58 ud3r bios 1
WD 500 GB caviar black
radeon 5850
2x kingston hyperX 1300 mhz 2gb cl7

thanks in advance

March 20, 2010 9:05:13 AM

ok. forget this post. I consulted a friend who told me to reset CMOS and that kicked the thing back into life.

I've just done a q flash update and I'm hoping that everything will now be fine.
!