blue alphabet

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
An odd question, but I was wondering if the new i7 memory for the x58 boards would work with the x48 boards? My friend has some extra i7 memory and i was thinking of using it on my system. Sorry if this has been asked before. btw, they are the "CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory" and i have an ASUS P5E3 Premium x48 motherboard. Any help would be great! (dont want to kill my mobo or cpu!!!!) :)

blue alphabet

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Thanks Scotteq for the info, but i was wondering if the i7 ddr3 memory would work with the x48 chipset type memory (dual channel) as the voltage is different and such. I know the slots/pins are the same.

If anything, the newer memory would/should require less voltage and would therefore be easier for your mobo to drive. So no, I wouldn't worry about that. Just dial in the appropriate settings - As that is a high end motherboard from a highly regarded maker, I have no doubts whether the Bios would be up to the task. It surely will be.