Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Today's the day

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2010 12:56:38 PM

Alright. Finally got my last 2 scythe 3000rpm fans in for some added cooling to make sure this goes swiftly. I'm ready to overclock everything if possible.

My build
AMD phenom II x4 965 125w. IDLE 27 degrees celcius. FULL LOAD 48 degrees celcius.
Cooler master hyper 212 plus with 2 fans...Original fan at 2000 rpms and scythe 3000rpms on other side.
8gb Crucial DDR3 1333 pc10600 9 latency
XFX ATI 5850 Black Edition with antec spotcool 3000rpms pointed directly at intake. Graphics idle 30degrees celsius *not sure at full load*
MSI 790FX Mobo
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb hard drive
Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B case
OCZ Modxstream pro 700w 80 plus certified

I want to start with processor and ram as the black edition as a decent overclock already.

Any articles that can walk me through what to do? NEVER overclocked before. I believe i have the necessary programs. MSI afterburner, amd overdrive, amd gpu clock tool, 3dmark vantage, pcmark vantage, msi overclocking tool.

The more details the better. Appreciate all thanks.

More about : today day

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 1:36:43 PM

First of never use a program to overclock your cpu, best way to overclock a cpu is through the BIOS, using a program on a gpu is fine. Next read the following >

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=267708

thats just to help you a bit.

here's just a few extra tips

- disable Cool 'n' Quiet
- enable ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration)
- lock the PCIe at 100MHz
- disable all Spread Spectrum options
- manually configure the RAM timings & voltage as per the manufacturer's specs. Do NOT use AUTO.
- increase the reference clock in increments of 5-10MHz at a time, save the settings, reboot & test for stability after each increase. (not important since you got a black edition in which case you can use the cpu multiplier to overclock, but do it in small steps)

Since you can change you cpu mutli you do not have to worry about your HT or RAM speed if im not mistaken, they should stay at default.

Use a program such as CPU-Z to check your CPU & memory settings. Use a program such as OCCT, LinX, Prime95, OCCT Linpack to test for stability.

When increasing the multi and you want to check for stability just run OCCT for 30 min, if no error increase multi, if you get a error try and increase CPU-VID which is the cpu vcore. Once you reach where you think is best run all the stability test for at least 4 hours, more is better. (LinX at 150 passes and Linpack at 1 hour to see max temp)

Keep temps under 60*c WHEN UNDER LOAD, if you want the cpu to last. Also i suggest you to keep vcore under 1.5v is possible. Would also like to suggest you keep your RAM at its default speed as i believe Oc'ing RAM doesnt give much boost, rather Oc your Northbridge.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Remember Oc'ing is a trial and error process, and mainly just remember to watch temps.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2010 4:27:49 PM

High_like_pie made a mistake, DO NOT activate ACC as it will make your pc not boot, if you have and are looking for a solution for it from another pc, here is the solution.

take out your CMOS battery (on the mobo, should be a silver round battery) and leave it out for 20 seconds, put it back in and boot your system. ofc the pc must be of in this time.
m
l
March 5, 2010 9:29:30 PM

whats the downside of using amd overdrive and overclocking
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2010 12:00:50 AM

i few weird replies there.

activating ACC is usually a great way to get more OCing potential. i use it, so i don't know where the hate comes from...

and AMD overdrive is EXCELLENT for overclocking. it can save you hours of reboots and messing around, use it to find your max stable overclocks, and THEN go into the BIOS to make the changes permanent.

m
l
March 6, 2010 12:33:03 AM

bingo thanks.
m
l
March 6, 2010 12:59:29 AM

ok i'm at 3.7 ghz and climbing. full load is sitting at 51 degrees celcius.

How long should i be running prime95 between each .5 increase

also i'm running blend as the selection of test in prime95 is that ok?
m
l
March 6, 2010 1:42:19 AM

also everyone said to enable advanced clock calibration. do i want the setting to be auto , all cores, or per cores.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2010 2:11:26 AM

ryman546 said:
also everyone said to enable advanced clock calibration. do i want the setting to be auto , all cores, or per cores.

ACC should be on auto.

as for Prime95, you should run it for about 20 minutes at first, just as a basic stability test. once you think you have your final clocks though you should test for at least 4 hours.
m
l
March 6, 2010 2:15:45 AM

getting lock ups at 3.7ghz. backed down a multiplier at 3.6ghz. not sure how to drop 10mhz at a time etc. going to post up stats.
m
l
March 6, 2010 2:19:16 AM

ok i put ACC on auto restarted and now my computer wont even show anything.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2010 2:45:14 AM

this may be the problem some peopel were referring to, ive never experinced it myself but you'll need to clear CMOS if the PC is failing to start.

just remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard and short the connectors with a screw-driver.

put the original settings back in this time leave acc off.
m
l
March 6, 2010 2:54:27 AM

original settings? lol hope it does that on its own.

ok running stress tests at 3.6 ghz. 3.7 i was getting windows lockups. *seems a little early to lockup no?*

going to get a fresh start in the morning. Not sure where to go from here.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2010 3:02:36 AM

3.7 isn't that bad, but not especially high either.

what voltage is that at though? bump the voltage to stabilize it, as long as temps are fine, its safe.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2010 3:03:01 AM

You dont really need to run the blend because you are not over clocking your ram so use small ffts it will find an error quick if there is one for your processor if it comes up error you only need to move up one tick to get stable in most cases if you get a blue screen then you might need to jump up t or three ticks on the voltage.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2010 4:22:06 AM

lol, the voltage is pretty low.

anything up to 1.52 should be fine with a good cooler, so if you want good results, whack it up. (not literally, i don't want you damaging anything, but 1.35 is low)
m
l
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2010 4:49:22 AM

I'll still stick with my saying of not oc'ing with a program, you dont know for sure what it is and will exactly set your setting to, the best way is always through the bios, always has been and most likely always will. Not that hard anyway >.>

Depending on if you got a good chip you should be able to hit 3.7Ghz on stock volts otherwise if you dont you going to have to bump the voltage up, 1.45 should do, and 1.5 is also possible just look at temps and only use those volts if you got a aftermarket cooler.

Also ACC - "Of course, the big news is the new low level interface between the SB750 and the Phenom CPU. Advanced Clock Calibration is its name and overclocking is its game (a bad throwback to days gone by). In all seriousness, ACC works and depending on just how "substandard" your Phenom might be at overclocking, it works extremely well. We have several theories about what this interface does and how AMD is doing it, but without explicit information or conformation from AMD we will have to continue theorizing about it. Our testing continues for the new product launches next week, but we were satisfied enough with the current numbers to publish early results. What we are not satisfied with is the lack of information from AMD, but that is their prerogative."

So i dont know where straydog comes in but according to many people ACC can increase your ocing potential, my athlon though won't post with it enabled, but apparently it only works for phenoms ii.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/397179-amd-ad...

and

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=336...
m
l
March 6, 2010 12:04:12 PM

grand. well acc wouldnt even let me into my bios.

i'm wondering if i dont have something turned off or calibrated correctly and thats why its crashing. sucks if i have a crappy cpu.
m
l
March 6, 2010 12:09:02 PM

what i did was use amd overclock and turn it up to 3.7...everything ran stable. I rebooted and set the multiplier in bios and started windows. crashing insued.
m
l
March 6, 2010 1:13:38 PM

next up. 3.8ghz. should i increase stock voltage to 1.375. if so what cpu voltage in bios do i need to increase. many different ones.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2010 7:22:18 PM

CPU VID is the voltage fro CPU overclocking (often referred to as vCore). give it a bump, and that should stabilize the overclock and stop the crashes.
Anonymous
March 8, 2010 12:14:02 PM

^+1, more voltage, increase to 1.4 and test, you can then push a little further if you wish, you should be able to get stable 24/7 3.8ghz OC

EDIT: After re-reading your specs 3.8 will be very easy to achieve, I reacon 4.1ghz will be top OC for Cooling! but not for everyday use, Diminishing returns!
m
l
March 8, 2010 4:47:02 PM

yah i got to 3.7....been running test for days on stock voltage. no lockups no problems. Will try 3.8 and increase voltage to 1.375...though i might be able to make it on stock voltage.
m
l
Anonymous
March 8, 2010 4:48:54 PM

Well done, keep going and find your max!
m
l
March 8, 2010 5:00:25 PM

got a blue screen of death at 3.8 at stock voltage.

trying to figure out which is the cpu tolvtage. Theres CPU VID voltage, CPU VDDC, CPU HT, etc
m
l
March 8, 2010 7:14:02 PM

cpu vdd - on auto in bios
cpu-nb vdd - auto
cpu voltage at 1.39
cpu-nb voltage auto
cpu-ddr - auto

m
l
March 8, 2010 7:44:25 PM

ok this is at 1.39 in bios. The temps seem WAY high if i'm not mistaken. Also why is it under load the core voltage drops? it was reading like 1.36 under load.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 1:16:16 AM

the voltage is supposed to fluctuate, so don't worry about that.

the temperature is high, but within limits (60c is about the max you should allow).

m
l
March 9, 2010 2:03:52 AM

i removed the heatsink. did the 3 lines of thermal paste on cooler and one on cpu. I can now report that i hold 44 degrees celcius at full load at 3.7 ghz. "52 degrees celcius before" It was either the thermal paste that fixed it or me switching the fans around.

my idle temp hasnt dropped though ...weird.
m
l
March 9, 2010 2:07:27 AM

cpu-nb vdd - auto
cpu voltage at 1.39
cpu-nb voltage auto
cpu-ddr - auto

is this how its supposed to be in bios?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 2:13:25 AM

ryman546 said:
cpu-nb vdd - auto
cpu voltage at 1.39
cpu-nb voltage auto
cpu-ddr - auto

is this how its supposed to be in bios?

i wouldn't set any of the voltages to auto, i would leave them on default. otherwise it automatically overvolts and often puts too much into it, causing heat issues.

CPU voltage is about right though. the chip can easily handle up to 1.52 on air, so 1.39 is well within limits.

im not sure about your method of applying TIM, but if its dropped the temps i guess theres nothing to complain about.
m
l
March 9, 2010 4:11:51 AM

glad i asked. the system automatically had them on auto. if i move either direction its a increase on what was previously there. for instance. auto cpu voltage was 1.35...but if i tried to change it to manual it either increases or decreases. maybe i'm not looking at something right. but thanks.
m
l
March 10, 2010 12:13:41 PM

Best answer selected by ryman546.
m
l
!