Sign in with
Your question

Noob needs help with Megahalem purchase

Last response: in Overclocking
March 5, 2010 4:46:50 PM

Hi people in Tomshardware.

Noob here.

Thinking about getting me a promlitech megahalem coz I hear and read they are great. I need to get rid of my CM V8 because it has been bent in transit (thanks to idiot parcel force, who deny it).

I have had my system built for me, but I think it high time to learn for myself how to install stuff into my rig, a sentiment I am sure you guys agree with.

Now, with this megahalem, I hear you can install two fans on either side to give a push/pull effect, which sounds good.

My question is, where do I plug these into on the motherboard?

I have a rampage II extreme, and as far as I can tell, everything is booked up. There's the cpu fan connector , which I am guessing the megahalem itself will plug into. There are then 3 chassis fan connectors, which are fully taken by the front, top and side chassis fans of my Cooler Master HAF 932 case. All that is left are the three optional fan connectors on the motherboard. Can the megahalem fans go here?

I'm beginning to feel this is a ridiculuous question to ask; please don't be angered by my noobishness.

Thanks for any advice,
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2010 11:13:44 PM

the megahalem does not come with a fan from what i have read so the first fan you get can go in the cpu fan slot. unless your overclocking your computer i dont think you will need a second fan at all. if you plan on adding a second fan you could get a 4 pin fan so that you can connect it straight to the psu.
March 9, 2010 12:58:45 AM

mattidallama is right. one fan should do it if you aren't overclocking. I have a thermalright true (very similar to megahalem) and i had it cooling my cpu without a fan for over a week without temps reaching above 65c. So if you arent overclocking 1 fan should be adequate. Read http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g... to get some direction on how to install the cooler.

matt77 don't worry about the megahalem being plugged in itself, it is simply fins and tubing with no electrical components. When you add the fan you then have something to plug in.
Related resources
March 9, 2010 1:18:27 AM

matt77 said:
Hi people in Tomshardware.

Noob here.

Thinking about getting me a promlitech megahalem coz I hear and read they are great. I need to get rid of my CM V8 because it has been bent in transit (thanks to idiot parcel force, who deny it).

I have had my system built for me, but I think it high time to learn for myself how to install stuff into my rig, a sentiment I am sure you guys agree with.

Now, with this megahalem, I hear you can install two fans on either side to give a push/pull effect, which sounds good.

My question is, where do I plug these into on the motherboard?

I have a rampage II extreme, and as far as I can tell, everything is booked up. There's the cpu fan connector , which I am guessing the megahalem itself will plug into. There are then 3 chassis fan connectors, which are fully taken by the front, top and side chassis fans of my Cooler Master HAF 932 case. All that is left are the three optional fan connectors on the motherboard. Can the megahalem fans go here?

I'm beginning to feel this is a ridiculuous question to ask; please don't be angered by my noobishness.

Thanks for any advice,

You can buy a "splitter" cable, which powers two fans off your one available cpu fan connector, my gigabyte board has 1amp limits on power draw per connector, so two fans hardly challenged any connector. I didn't do that, as I didn't want to bother, I just used one of my molex connectors off my power supply with a converter connector I happened to have laying around. The only downside of that is that your fan connected direct to the molex is running full speed all the time, but that's great for me, I'm overclocking and I bought the particular fan because it was so quiet at full speed.

If your not overclocking, then the others have steered you correctly. However, let me add some sanity. If your not overclocking you really have no reason to buy the megahalems in the first place. Buy the coolermaster 212 and put that extra 50 dollars back in your bank account.

Best,
Bob
March 9, 2010 9:37:37 AM

Hi

Thanks for the replies - really helpful

I do overclock the cpu to around 3.8 so it gets very hot in there. CM V8 doesn't cope well with it. Thanks for the pointers - sorry for the question. I know to you guys it seems rather simple, but to me it's all new! Thanks again.

I am leaning towards the venemous x since it seems slightly better than in cooling than the megahalem, and I guess the same principles applies.
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 22, 2010 7:44:01 AM

the CM hyper 212+ is $30 and it also outperforms the megahelms with a 2 fan push-pull setup.

you could get the Noctua NF-P12 instead of the CM fans - they run much quieter than the CM

I installed a CM Hyper 212+ on my i7 860 and compared it to stock cooling. With ambient temps 18C I hit:

Idle - Stock: 25C
Idle - 212+: 18C

Prime95 8 threads - Stock: 80
Prime95 8 threads - 212+: 51

IBT 5x High 8 threads - Stock: 85
IBT 5x High 8 threads - 212+: 53

GL!
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2010 11:54:44 AM

The answer to your original question is one cpu heatsink fan must be plugged into the motherboard fan connector labelled cpu_fan or something similar. This is mandatory. The system will monitor the cpu fan and can adjust the fan speed based on the cpu's temperature.

Consult your mothboard manual for additional information. The manuals usually have a diagram showing the location of various connections on the motherboard.

The answer to your second question is if you have more case fans than fan connections on the motherboard you can connect the extra fans to your power supply. You can use fan cable splitters and adapters to daisy chain the fans to one power supply connection.

Finally if you happen to have a cpu heatsink fan with two fans, then connect the second fan to another fan connection on the motherboard. Do not use a fan splitter to connect two cpu heatsink fans to the cpu_fan connection on the motherboard. This might cause problems. The system may not be able to properly monitor and adjust the speed of the heatsink fans.

There may or may not be another problem. Which brand and model pc case do you have? The 160mm tall tower style cpu heatsinks such as the Megahalem may or may not fit inside the case. A case would have to be at least 8 inches (204mm) wide to accomodate the heatsink.

There may be a second problem. Some memory modules come with extra tall heatspreaders that sort of look like a comb. Those tall heatspreaders will interefere with the large heatsinks. The problem is usually the memory slot closest to the cpu socket. Standard memory modules are not a problem.
March 23, 2010 6:41:54 PM

Jonny

Thanks for this. I have a HAF 932 so I don't think size will be an issue. In fact, I know it's not, since I've got the heatsink now with two Gentle Typhoons and everything looks like it will fit. I get confised with where to plug stuff in because people tell me differerent things. With the megahalem I've bought there is no fan to plug in, it's just a tower which sits over the cpu. From what you are saying, I need to plug each fan directly into separate fan ports on the motherboard, and not daisychain them by connecting them together and plugging one into the motherboard (" Do not use a fan splitter to connect two cpu heatsink fans to the cpu_fan connection on the motherboard.")

Thanks for your help.
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 8:12:22 PM

That is correct. One of the two fans that you attach to the Megahalem must be plugged into the cpu-fan connection on the motherboard. The second can be plugged into one of the remaining motherboard connectors. On the other hand you can daisy chain extra case fans and plug them into one psu connection.

I have a HAF 932. I currently use it for my emergency backup system. Ventilation, airflow, and cooling are excellent.
March 24, 2010 7:19:04 AM

All clear, thank you.

Waiting for my fc-5 lamptron fan controller to arrive, so I can hook everything up to it and control the fans properly.

I'm guessing I can connect the two cpu fans to the motherboard on one side and the fan controller on the other. Not sure how I can get the case fans sorted with the controller - I suppose I can daisychain them and connect them via the molex power to the controller.

Thanks again.
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 11:50:13 AM

matt77 - Normally the fan controller is not connected to the motherboard. In a typical setup case fans are connected to the fan controller and the fan controller is connected to the psu. The fan controller has separate connections for each fan it controls. You can connect four fans to the fc-5. The molex connector on the fc-5 is for the connection to the power supply.
!