Expanding RAID5 under FreeNAS

fritzlee

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Hello,
I've been running freenas with four 2TB disks with an arc-1220 controller. With the disks almost full, I've added 4 more identical 2TB disks and successfully migrated and expanded them on the arc-1220 menu. However, upon booting the system, FreeNAS shows me contradicting information. Under the Disks|Management tab it shows me a RAID volume of 13351440MB but the system information shows me the old capacity of 5.3TB, used 4.9TB with 12GB left. Is there a way to get FreeNAS to recognize the new capacity without destroying/losing data? I'd appreciate a detailed response since I'm still not very familiar with freenas. Honestly, I don't even remember exactly how I set it up in the first place but I could afford to mess with the settings since the disks were empty back then. I'm using FreeNAS version 0.7.1 revision 4982

Thanks,
Jin

sub mesa

Distinguished
All you should need would be growfs. Could you give me terminal output of:

ls -l /dev/da*
fdisk /dev/da0
diskinfo -v /dev/da0
diskinfo -v /dev/da0s1

If you have a partition on the Areca hardware RAID array; that means you need to expand the partition as well. FreeNAS uses a more complicated labeling than i recommend. Different versions of FreeNAS also have different ways of doing it; making this more complicated.

The output of above commands should give me a fair clue however. You would need to log into SSH in order to get the required output.