Sign in with
Your question

Cooling for 4870 crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2008 12:41:46 AM

Hi,
could you recommend any good coolers for sapphire 4870 in crossfire ? For just one card I would go for accelero twin turbo, but from reviews I know there is problem when using 2 cards in crossfire (not enough room for bridge or something).
Any ideas ?
Thanx

More about : cooling 4870 crossfire

December 5, 2008 11:48:37 PM

Leave the stock coolers on them and turn the fans up to around 50 percent in ccc........you better have a good case with plenty of cooling too
December 8, 2008 5:58:27 PM

I used ZEROTHERM coolers on my 3870x2, and my VisionTek 3870 has the same cooler. Because of the location of the dual-GPU I did have the heat sink touch the crossfire bridge, but I just used some tape on the bridge to keep it from chafing.

The fans regulate the speed based on temp, so I no longer had to worry about the drivers or RivaTuner for speed control. My cooling is greatly improved, but I had to modify the fan setup in my case to vent the extra heat.
Related resources
December 8, 2008 6:23:28 PM

Take a look here...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Akasa/Vortexx/

Or just increase the fanspeed on stock through the CCC (Catalyst Control Centre), some say 50% but I find anything over 35% to be too loud fine for anything other than extended Folding@home or other benchmarking.
February 12, 2009 3:57:06 PM

I have 2 4870s (1 ASUS and 1 Sapphire) I have an accelero twin turbo and an accelero s1 rev 2

The twin turbo works great with only 1 card in the computer

with 2 there is nowhere for the heat to go. It is trapped by the card itself not to mention the other card 2 mm underneath the fans heating up the input air as well.

with no other cooling Accelero TT in top slot 70+C IDLE I didn't even try load

If you put a 120mm fan next to it that helps some however then you can't put the case side on

I have an ASUS card with ASUS's own cooler (not stock) and in crossfire load it reaches 90C at 100% fan speed.

My other card I put the stock cooler back on.

I was looking at the Thermaltake DuOrb but I haven't found anyone who has put it on a 4870.

lots of 4850 users but I don't want to spend $35 on something that might work.
March 6, 2009 12:32:33 AM

I ran into the same problem with all the heat building up in the bottom of my case. My case is large enough for me to have a 120mm exhaust fan in the bottom of my case where most cases have HDDs. Once I did that no more issues.
March 6, 2009 1:46:29 AM

Yea I had to Dremel out my HDD Cage and then I stuck a 140mm fan right behind my cards - problem fixed.
May 27, 2009 10:19:44 PM

I tryed the thermalright t-rad 2's with fans/without fans all in crossfire, all with the same problem as you guys too much heat going stagnent. The lower card and upper card heat each other, as though to speak there to close and theres not enough room to move air., i also have a Coolermaster CM Stacker case with the 4 fans right on the side, its still isn't enough air flow, even with the highest cm airflow 120's i could find, it still wasn't enough air movment.

i ended up having to blow a desk fan onto the 4 120's and turn it on high when i gamed!

Kind of defeats the pupose of moving a noisey stock cooler paying 50 bucks each for the t-rad 2s to find this mess.

Im now dremeling a ATX base out of a old antec case, im going for a open platform design (desk mounted) with a 3rd 4870(as previously it wouldnt fit) Due to the case limitation.

and then im going to get the snazzyest desk fan i can find and blow it right onto the the whol deal right there!.

mount the PSU under the desk, mount a SATA rack on the desk some where else and get a external DVD rom with a external card reader/floppy.

kind of break it all up, give it room air space and flow in the air.

Its kind of hot in Texas.
May 27, 2009 10:34:42 PM

With your current set up, it doesn't matter how much air you put in the case if it can't exhaust quickly.

By the looks of that case though you shouldn't have trouble putting a fan in the bottom front if you don't already have one to get air in and across the cards without going across the HDDs...
May 27, 2009 11:06:33 PM

Hehe, I was never able to get Crossfire working to my satisfaction. I ended up sending 1 back to Newegg for a refund, I am going to sell the other and I bought a 4890.

BTW the extra 512MB of RAM on the 4890 makes a huge difference especially @ 1920x1200

I even have the 4890 volt modded with an accelero twin turbo and that 140mm fan and everything runs great

4890 OC/D to 970 core, 1000 mem (haven't really experimented with the RAM yet)
May 27, 2009 11:20:33 PM

Aircraft, you should run a benchie with that card, say vantage at one of the presets. I've been debating getting rid of the (3) 3870's and getting a 4870 1GB or 4890 but haven't found many comparisons against my setup.

BTW, what's your temps at full load?
May 27, 2009 11:27:24 PM

K will do - BTW I would take a serious look at the GTX 275 too if ur in the market for a new GFX card - it's a good card and it outperforms the 4890 a significant amount of the time for only ~$10 more. Not to mention it has a quiet cooler XD

Playing GoW for PC a couple hours in a uncomfortably hot room GPU-Z said 60C right after I quit (with accelero TT) granted GoW only stresses the GPU on average 50% XD

Far Cry 2 it runs a little warmer but if ur case has good airflow and isn't in a terribly designed computer cabinet than it will run cooler :-)

BTW volt modded to 1.35v
May 27, 2009 11:31:15 PM

I don't care if u get the same frame rate out of the 4890 as u did out of the 3 3870s. THE QUALITY OF PLAY will be much better with the 4890 due to it being a single GPU solution.

May 28, 2009 2:08:12 AM

"I don't care if u get the same frame rate out of the 4890 as u did out of the 3 3870s. THE QUALITY OF PLAY will be much better with the 4890 due to it being a single GPU solution."

Exactly what do you base this on? Are you talking minimum frame rate? Or maybe that not all games take advantage of Xfire? Or, I guess the 1920x1200 res with filters?

All are valid points, but I was just taking a look at the results I could expect from $200 invested in dual 4770s.

With my current setup, there aren't any games I own that I can't crank up with the exception of Crysis, but I think time has shown that game's engine to be lacking in efficiency. I haven't had any trouble with my setup, and that include Xfire issues. So a single card solution isn't a priority for me; just most bang for the buck at this point.
May 28, 2009 2:48:01 AM

If Crossfire works for you, than definitely go with the 2 4770s. I have always had issues with scaling, stuttering, and most of all flickering in games with crossfire enabled. Especially GRID, Fallout 3, and Far Cry 2. Also the extra RAM that the 4890 has over the 4770s will help with AA performance. I'm not sure what size monitor u have so that might not be an issue. Have you considered 4850 Crossfire? or a 4850X2? That setup would be more powerful than the 4770s and it would only take up 1 PCIE slot not to mention Sapphire offers a 2GB one (1GB per card)

If your current setup works for you than I would just keep it. Save your money for some new monster card that ATI or nVidia are bound to be coming out with soon.

I still think the GTX275 is the best investment at present despite me being an AMD/ATI fan. Not to mention u get that Physics and Cuda stuff they keep pitching.

If I could sell both my 4890 and my old 4870 512 than I think I would get the 275

My Comp:

Gigabyte 790GX mobo
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.4Ghz
4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 @ 4,4,4,12
30GB OCZ Solid Series SSD
1TB WD Caviar Black
Rosewill 750W
XFX Radeon HD 4890 w/Accelero TT
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer
May 28, 2009 2:50:43 AM

BTW I tried crossfiring my 4890 1GB with my old 4870 512 and I encountered those issues. I have a feeling that some of the problems were associated with the difference in RAM. However the flickering I also encountered when I had 2 of the same cards.
May 28, 2009 3:21:12 AM

I also had flickering with two 4850's but i removed a crossfire bride (so there's only one) and it solved everything.
May 28, 2009 3:28:38 AM

I am running into the same problem with my dual 4870x2's in Crossfire; they are 2 close together to cool properly, plus they obstruct the SSB fan. I have 4 PCIE x16 slots but I can't find a CrossFire bridge long enough to utilize the space! I am hoping a 100mm is long enough but I haven't heard of anything longer then that. I run both fans @ 100% and it is loud but it is the only way to get my 3DMark06 to stabalize @ around 24K.
May 28, 2009 11:17:56 AM

I forgot about the 4850x2 with 2GB. I bet that would be a good card for $240ish.

I did have flickering in Crysis now that you mention it, but moving back to a different driver fixed it. Only affected the trees in the background; wierd...

For toledo_speedo, you will most likely have to change your cooling if you want both cards to run well since they are so close.

Wouldn't it be possible to take the fan on the stock-type coolers and rotate it 90 degrees so that it pulls from the front and blows out the back? I know it would be a traditional style fan (non blower) and might take up more space (wider), but that it would pull from near the front of the case and also exhaust the heat out the back. I've been toying with this idea for a while now...
June 10, 2009 8:30:35 AM

toledo_speedo said:
I am running into the same problem with my dual 4870x2's in Crossfire; they are 2 close together to cool properly, plus they obstruct the SSB fan. I have 4 PCIE x16 slots but I can't find a CrossFire bridge long enough to utilize the space! I am hoping a 100mm is long enough but I haven't heard of anything longer then that. I run both fans @ 100% and it is loud but it is the only way to get my 3DMark06 to stabalize @ around 24K.

when using ccc remember it will not work as well if ur using something like amd fusion, it will shut down some of the resources that u need to run those x-fire graphicscard at there peek,go ahead use fusion, amd overdrive, and run in x-fire, then disable 'em and auto clock from ccc and ull see an improvement.
!