Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bypassing Xp Pro's folder permissions (for appropriate reasons)

Last response: in Windows XP
April 10, 2011 9:36:09 PM

My father's XP is unable to boot. So, in order to save him a couple of dollars, I offered to hook it up to my Win7 and see if I could relocate the files. I wasn't sure if XP would let me (Obviously, I'm ignorant... having never tried anything like this before), and unfortunately that fear materialized.

So, I've come to ask for help in bypassing XP's folder permissions.

I'll describe the setup, if it helps.
My father doesn't have a boot, or install disk.
I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
I hook his Dell (avoid them) 32-bit XP Pro's only hd into an extra sata (and power, of course) port.
Hd works fine, I can access it's program files.
The files I'm after are in his C:/Documents and Settings/DadsName folder.
I don't know if he's the admin (he doesn't either).
I am the admin on my pc.
I am unable to move his files to an external hd (connected via usb).

That's the situation in bullet point.

I've searched the forums, but to no avail (I apologize if I've missed the answer)... and would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks for your time.

Best solution

a b 8 Security
April 11, 2011 7:27:07 AM

You need to take ownership of the folder and files that you wish to copy. Have a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421.
a b 8 Security
April 11, 2011 3:51:08 PM

Use a Linux Live CD boot disk. Can copy files out then with no issues as NTFS rights will be ignored.
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2011 9:19:38 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I followed ijack's suggestion and it worked (heh, feel kind of dumb for not knowing how to do that). Now my only problem is going to be restoring ownership to my father... but I assume it'll be the exact same process.

Many thanks for the help.

Edit: Had I a little more time I would have liked to try hang-the-9's idea, but... simplicity had to come first.
m
l
April 11, 2011 9:19:56 PM

Best answer selected by ti1706.
m
l
a b 8 Security
April 12, 2011 7:18:33 AM

Reversing the process is, as you say, essentially the same (as long as he is an Administrator - if not you could always make him one whilst you do the procedure). But you can just change the permissions so that he has all rights to the folder and files; it's not essential that he "owns" the fles.
m
l
!