Memtest64 has an error, now what do i do with this information?

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i just OC'd for the first time. didn't touch a single voltage and got my e6750 to 3.2 on a gigabyte p35-ds3, with 6gb of pc2-6400 g.skill 5-5-5-15 ram. the ram is rated at 400mhz so i don't understand why it would be having problems, BUT that isn't for me to answer because i don't know enough about this stuff.

prime95 was perfectly stable for 6 hours. i ran memtest and after 10 minutes there were 5 errors. i don't know what it means or what i need to do though. i can say the ram is rated at 1.8-1.9 volts by the manufacturer. now i didn't change the volts to it in the BIOS, but in HWMonitor in windows 7 64-bit, it says 1.87 volts, even though the BIOS standard is 1.8, right?

tell me what more info you need to suggest ideas on what i need to do. up the voltage of the RAM by .1? lower the clock? please help, thanks! btw, did i damage the RAM by running the PC for a few hours before finding the errors?

memory-1.jpg

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Technically, using the RAM shouldn't damage it. How many RAM modules do you have? Try removing them one by one until the error vanishes. If it does vanish after removing a certain RAM module, then it means you have found a faulty module.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i upped the voltage .1, and at 53% there were only 4 errors, all coming in spaced out timeframes, unlike the above screenshot you see with 5 errors almost simultaneously. do you think the voltage has anything to do with it?

would it help to put the stock clock back and then try again and see if i get errors, that way i can know if the OC points to the problem or not?

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Uh, don't touch voltages just yet. That would be one of the worst choices so far, because the memory is failing even at default specs. I'll reiterate what I said: If you have more than one RAM module, try taking them out, and run them one at a time. Say you have 3 modules A, B, and C. Take out all modules and run module A only. If there are errors, take out A and replace it with B. Repeat the process. If there are still errors after using all 3, then we have a problem. They are rated to run at 1.8-1.9 volts, so there should be no issues. Try getting them replaced.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

thanks. i found that one of them (luckily one i bought just recently in feb) is giving me the errors. or at least i think. i did what you suggested (i have 4 sticks), and took one out at a time, ran for 30 minutes each, until i found a combination of 3 that had no errors. so i know which is the bad one. i guess i can rma it, but just to be sure, i'm going to run the three i think are good for a while and see what happens.

i bought a 4gb kit for my already 2gb installed. if i do an rma, can i trade it for the 2gb kit? i really think 6gb is overkill for my system. thanks.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Nothing wrong with 6GB, as long as you have a 64-bit OS. If you trade for the 2GB kit, they might not return the price different of the 4GB kit and the 2GB kit, which is a bummer.

If you think 6GB is too much, then remove the 2GB which is currently installed in the system and replace it with your new 4GB kit. Then you can use the old modules in a different setup or sell them.

TRENDING THREADS