Expanding my gaming PC

mike900

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
First of all, hi!

This is my (Gaming)PC:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad - Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: OCZ Gold 4Gb DDR2-800 Kit
HDD: 2.5Tb (750Gb sATA)
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (512Mb)
Monitor SyncMaster Magic 206BW (2ms)
Soundcard: SupremeFX II
Speakers: Creative Inspire P5800 5.1
Headphones: Sharkoon Cosmic 5.1 II
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Refresh
Mice: Logitech MX1000 Laser / Razer Diamondback 3G Earth Green
Mousesurface: Steel QcK
Motherboard: Asus P5E
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black (ATX)

Now this is my (silly but serious) question.

What is missing in my PC a gamer should have in your opion.

The reason I'm asking is I'm really into adding something to my PC to improve without replacing the actual components (no overclocking). Also I don't do casemodding but I also like too hear about fans, lights, etc. I already have Neon-lights and I'm thinking of building in watercooling but a mate of me can help with that so that's on hold for a while :)

Thanks in advance.

mike900

Ps; If this is the wrong forum to post please replace it.

Is that a trick question? You want to add something to improve it, but not replace anything? I am not sure how you would improve it without replacing anything. You pretty much have everything you need. Making case mods may or may not be considered improvements, as what you do with case is all in the "the eye of the beholder" What 1 person thinks is cool, the next will think completely sucks. I am of the opinion that a good looking or functioning case should be left alone. If it's not running hot, you don't need more fans (simply more noise) Water cooling is a waste if you are not a huge overclocker.
You do not want to replace components, but you asked for opinions, here is mine.
You need a faster processor. If you are gaming, and do not overclock, get an e8500. If, and ONLY if you play with Flight Simulators, get a q9550.

mike900

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Yeah really :) I know 3 more people who didn't overclock it ;)

At jitpublisher, comments like yours are what I'm aiming for. I see what you mean about the watercooling. I already replaced fans and added lights too make my PC look more interessting.
I'm not going to upgrade my actual hardware I was just wondering if I could add some. e.g. another videocard (which I know I don't need) or more RAM etc.

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
It,s a nice system they only thing i could think of that you could add is a SSD HD but if I were you I would wait untill they fix some of the current issues with random long acces times, That's what i,m waiting for. As evongugg said a new gpu like the 4870 might be nice but you could also wait until the HD5*** comes out and get one then.

As for water cooling I would not really recommend it. I used to have it on my pc but it's just really expencive and will only benefit you if you overclock what i did,nt do and you aswell. So a good air cooling will work just as well for less money.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I would have to say that you either need to get a faster processor, or overclock your q6600. A better graphics card, or SLI your current one, 8800 GTS's Benchmark well when in SLI. At 1680x1050 res your monitor is pretty good! I would personally get an Asus P5Q mobo...looking into getting one now.

Again, i dont see how you can improve this without changing stuff??

Craxbax

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Why in the world would you add a water cooling if you are not OCing? The only thing you could do to improve your performance noticably is a faster C2D or C2Q 45nm cpu and upgrade the GPU to a factory OCed HD4870 or 260GTX or 280GTX or either flavor of X2 cards beginning with HD 4850x2. I would have to say that your refusal to OC your system makes your question a bit superfluous as more performance would result from OCing your present CPU and maybe selecting a faster GPU as the 8800GTS 512 (although still a decent GPU) is now a bit dated performancewise.