dubleduble

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I have a huge problem installing my new CPU. Firs off its an AMD Athlon 64 X 5000+, i am using my old heat sink from my old processor which does not have a fan on it since it uses my case fan which is directly behind it blowing at it. My problem is when I install the heat sink on the CPU using just a dab of AS5 and spreading it so its a thin layer over the CPU, and turn on my PC it idles at 50-55 degrees Celsius! I tried removing some but it still has the same temps. Idk what could be wrong? My new CPU did come with a fan+heatsink but I can use it because of dells crappy 5 pin fan connectors.

caniba

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
you need to use the heatsink and fan that came with the cpu or buy a after market heatsink cooler. You cannot just run a fanless pos dell heatsink and hope the 5000 to be cool. The AS5 has nothing to do with it.

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
for a quick fix, use the NEW heatsink and fan, and connect the fan to another header, or if u dont mind splicing wires, splice the wires and run from th same crappy 5-pin connector.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
the title cracks me the artic silver is not working? lol!

its not the TC

the hsf is not in contact with the cpu or the contact is too low - you need more pressure

1) it may be the wrong one
2) the tensioning mechanism is bent or worn - such as the last mobo was thicker

3) you did not install the hsf right - presss the pins in criss cross method <---if you have pins - clip is not on right

make sure nothing is bent

h1ghf1v3

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
reseat your heatsink. clean the base with rubbing alcohol. apply thermal paste onto the base. (know what ur doing) it takes about 10 hours for the thermal paste to "set in" and take full effect. make sure the heatsink is properly seated with even pressure on all ends. i hope this helps and good luck mister!

dubleduble

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Hmm are there any heatsink fans for a dell e521 since my mobo cant use typical heatsink fans that lock at the base?