nutrigironman

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Hello

MB - ASUS P5KC
CPU - Core 2 Duo E8400
Memory - 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066Mhz
GPU - ATI Radeon 4850

I've been having plenty of trouble with my system lately. However it has now starting refusing to boot at all. When turned on the fans all crank up, the hard drives start ( the hard drive activity light doesnt do anything) and the graphics card flashs its LED showing it has started and detected the MB. However this is as far as it goes, the Screen ( I've tested with many to ensure its not a screen fault) does not detect any signal, therefore I can't access BIOs ect.

The problems started with a driver update off the ATI website for my graphics card. The system became unstable but still usable. Then it started crashing and giving me blue screens saying it had dumped the memory cache ect. After a while of occasionally doing this it began to not boot (as above) but when left for a while it would boot and start windows before promptly crashing as above and not booting. Now it has stopped booting at all.

I've tested the graphics card in a friends machine and it ran fine. However upon installation of the drivers it began the blue screen crashes in a similar way to my machine, this was fixed by uninstalling the drivers. I then tested my RAM in his machine, it failed to boot in the same way mine does, the obvious conclusion to this would be that its my RAM at fault however upon testing in another machine it ran fine.

I'm really stuck on where to go next. Any advice would be much appreciated.

johnluton

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
well since the ram was not working in yours or your friends machine(even though it did work in another) I would start there, is the ram on the Asus qualified list?

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
if the ram worked in a 3rd machine, then it shouldn't be at fault. but this is a very odd problem. The ati drivers can't cause the whole computer to not even boot, they're not that low-level. Try resetting the CMOS. maybe some setting got changed that's messing everything up.