I'm new to this and need help!!!!!!!!!!!please

gmarz

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Hey Everybody,
I've got a old home built sys. Asus P4PE mobo. with 2 sticks of 256 PC2100 DDR a 2.8 P4,antec True480W PSU in a Themaltake V2000III Xaser case with a 40gig Maxtor HD,Asus DVD ROM drive,3.5 Flop.and a Nvidia 440x PCI card .I have a lot of other stuff for it but that are the basic's,at first machine would hang or shutdown or sometimes I'd try to start it and it would start but not post or anything would have to shutdown via switch on PSU then unplugand leave unplugged for at the least for 24hrs. to get it to start up.I also cleared the CMOS also have question do mobo batts. go bad? cannot get nothing it starts but no post not even a picture on monitor should I just scrap it? don't have any money to buy new or rebuild just lost job laid off

Usually, when someone says they have to leave a computer unplugged for a very long time before they can get it to start, that means the power supply is bad.

Your system is very old. It's quite possible the motherboard has gone bad as well, or the memory. Or the video card.

Is the interior dust free?
Do the fans on the CPU and power supply spin when you turn it on?
If there is a fan on the video card, does that spin?

gmarz

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
answer to proximon yes to all except no fan on G.Card,PSU fans CPUfans,Case fans all work also have an old 400w psu generic that I can throw at it to see if that solves it and by the way no dust.