PATA in Serial ATA system?

lepmer

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I just set up my new system (Windows 7) and wanted to transfer both the secondary hard drive and burner from my old system. Got everything in the new computer, went to attach the cables and found out that both the power and the cables to the MB were different. I've been out of the loop for a few years and didn't realize how much things had changed. Everything in the new computer is Serial ATA. The burner has an IDE connector...it looks like the MB has IDE so could I get a cable and attach both to that? But, what about the power supply? The old ones have pins and the new ones are flat. Am I out of luck?

4745454b

Titan
You should be able to do this without buying anything. Use an IDE cable that supports two devices. Jumper the hdd as master, and put it on the far end. Jumper the optical drive as slave, and have it in the middle. I have yet to see a PSU that doesn't have "normal" plugs on it. You might need to buy a splitter if all your plugs are being used.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

4745454b is right, your power supply will have the old connectors as well as the new connectors.

TRENDING THREADS