OTA poll / focus group

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 15, 2005 12:47:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Hi folks. I'm working with a new company and a new technology centered
around OTA DTV. We're *really* early in the development cycle so I
can't give you much detail about the product but here's what I can tell
you now. Our product will *probably* be a thin (1" or less) flat
antenna contained inside a decorative or plain case. For urban areas,
it could be as small as 5 or 6 inches on a side and intended for indoor
mounting. For exurban (beyond the suburbs) and rural areas it will be
about 15 inches by 20 inches - still only about an inch thick - and
could be mounted inside, in the attic or outside.

Now, this new smart antenna will only work with DiSA(tm) (Digital Smart
Antenna) enabled receivers, much like the EIA-909 smart antenna. We're
working with the major manufacturers to make that happen.

I'm doing market research, and have a questionaire below. Thank you
for taking a few moments to fill out all or part of it. You can send
your responses directly to me: mailto:viamktres@yahoo.com I assure you
I will NEVER disclose your personal information to ANYONE, EVER. You
might want to use an anonymous email service - for example
anonymous.to or mytrashmail.com (not to endorse those particular sites)

All I can do in return is to give my thanks and assure you that you are
helping to fulfill the promise of FREE off-the-air digital TV.

1. Are you using an antenna today? For analog, digital, or both?
For your "main" tv or for bedroom, kitchen....?
1.1. If you use an antenna, are you in an urban, suburban or exurban
environment?
1.2 Can you get all your local channels and how reliably?
1.3 What type of antenna? (rabbit ears, Silver Sensor, outdoor log
periodic, bow tie...)
1.4 Do you have to re-orient/repoint your antenna to get certain
stations? If so, rate your "annoyance factor" on a scale of one to
five, where 1 means "it doesn't bother me a bit" and 5 means "what a
pain in the *@#!".
1.5 Did you have to get a new antenna to get the digital broadcasts
or did get it specifically for OTA digital? Did the first one work or
did you have to experiment? In the end, did it cost you more than you
expected at the start?

2. Your MPVD provider? (Adelphia, Comcast, DISH...)
2.1 Do they have a HiDef package? Price?
2.2 Rate the HiDef package for value; 1 for excellent value, 5 for
"what a ripoff!"
2.3 How important is it to you to see the second (and third,
fourth...) programs your local digital station might be providing? Use
1 for "who cares?" and 5 for "Gotta have them"
2.4 If you have an OTA antenna provided by your satellite service,
does it work well? Can you get all your local DTV?

3. How important is the aesthetic appearance of the antenna - 1
means "I don't care what it looks like" 5 means "I HATE having an ugly
darn antenna!"
3.1 Have you ever had any problem being able to put up an antenna?
(condo rules, apartment owner won't let you, etc.)
3.2 What's your "pain point?" That is, if you could get all your
local DTV free off-the-air, what's that worth in antenna cost? $50?
$100? $200? More? Less?

4. Is the initial setup time (the first time you plug in your new
TV/set-top) an issue? If it might take up to thirty minutes, (only
once, the first time you set it up!) is that a problem?
4.1 Would you be interested in a TV with built-in (invisible)
antenna?

5. Any additional comments you care to make.

Again, I wish I could promise you something more substantial for your
eforts but please accept my sincere thanks.

-- Peter Bradshaw

More about : ota poll focus group

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:02:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Silly me! If you're reading this on google groups, you won't see the
email address I gave for direct replies. I wasn't aware of that er,
feature.

via mkt res at yahoo.com
without the spaces of course and use the'@' sign and so on.
mailto:viamktres@yahoo.com
-- Peter Bradshaw
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:28:58 AM

On 15 Jun 2005 08:47:25 -0700 weenie98 <vmweenie_98@yahoo.com> wrote:

| Hi folks. I'm working with a new company and a new technology centered
| around OTA DTV. We're *really* early in the development cycle so I
| can't give you much detail about the product but here's what I can tell
| you now. Our product will *probably* be a thin (1" or less) flat
| antenna contained inside a decorative or plain case. For urban areas,
| it could be as small as 5 or 6 inches on a side and intended for indoor
| mounting. For exurban (beyond the suburbs) and rural areas it will be
| about 15 inches by 20 inches - still only about an inch thick - and
| could be mounted inside, in the attic or outside.

That's a rather small aperture. Will it work for stations as far
away as 125 miles over rough terrain?

| Now, this new smart antenna will only work with DiSA(tm) (Digital Smart
| Antenna) enabled receivers, much like the EIA-909 smart antenna. We're
| working with the major manufacturers to make that happen.

And I suppose it is proprietary technology.

| I'm doing market research, and have a questionaire below. Thank you
| for taking a few moments to fill out all or part of it. You can send
| your responses directly to me: mailto:viamktres@yahoo.com I assure you
| I will NEVER disclose your personal information to ANYONE, EVER. You
| might want to use an anonymous email service - for example
| anonymous.to or mytrashmail.com (not to endorse those particular sites)
|

| All I can do in return is to give my thanks and assure you that you are
| helping to fulfill the promise of FREE off-the-air digital TV.
|
| 1. Are you using an antenna today? For analog, digital, or both?
| For your "main" tv or for bedroom, kitchen....?

For analog.

| 1.1. If you use an antenna, are you in an urban, suburban or exurban
| environment?

Exurban.

| 1.2 Can you get all your local channels and how reliably?

Yes.

| 1.3 What type of antenna? (rabbit ears, Silver Sensor, outdoor log
| periodic, bow tie...)

Depends on channel. Some channels have separate tuned yagis.

| 1.4 Do you have to re-orient/repoint your antenna to get certain
| stations? If so, rate your "annoyance factor" on a scale of one to
| five, where 1 means "it doesn't bother me a bit" and 5 means "what a
| pain in the *@#!".

No. All are fixed at specific stations.

| 1.5 Did you have to get a new antenna to get the digital broadcasts
| or did get it specifically for OTA digital? Did the first one work or
| did you have to experiment? In the end, did it cost you more than you
| expected at the start?

No digital, yet.

| 2. Your MPVD provider? (Adelphia, Comcast, DISH...)

No.

| 2.1 Do they have a HiDef package? Price?

No.

| 2.2 Rate the HiDef package for value; 1 for excellent value, 5 for
| "what a ripoff!"

0.

| 2.3 How important is it to you to see the second (and third,
| fourth...) programs your local digital station might be providing? Use
| 1 for "who cares?" and 5 for "Gotta have them"

I'm sure it will eventually be a 5.

| 2.4 If you have an OTA antenna provided by your satellite service,
| does it work well? Can you get all your local DTV?

They are my own.

| 3. How important is the aesthetic appearance of the antenna - 1
| means "I don't care what it looks like" 5 means "I HATE having an ugly
| darn antenna!"

0 ... I love the looks of a 75 foot tower with 9 antennas on it.

| 3.1 Have you ever had any problem being able to put up an antenna?
| (condo rules, apartment owner won't let you, etc.)

No problem.

| 3.2 What's your "pain point?" That is, if you could get all your
| local DTV free off-the-air, what's that worth in antenna cost? $50?
| $100? $200? More? Less?

Depends on whether you give a rebate on what I've already put into
what I have now.

| 4. Is the initial setup time (the first time you plug in your new
| TV/set-top) an issue? If it might take up to thirty minutes, (only
| once, the first time you set it up!) is that a problem?

No. But if it has to be redone because of memory loss, software
glitches, that would be a serious issue.

| 4.1 Would you be interested in a TV with built-in (invisible)
| antenna?

I cannot see how it would work here.