ReadWrite Errors on External WD 1TB drive

nickcreations

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
i have a wd 1TB external storage. i have used it for now close to an year without any problems...tho a couple of months ago, it started exhibiting read write errors for large files, with a repeated "access" noise precedding it, small files copied ok!

checked out other sites, most saying that it could be a USB problem, tried it on different comps...same problem. Now the drive is no longer visible, makes the same noise the moment i connect it with a popup saying that their is a read/write error...that the MBR could be damaged!

ive been told that i can yank out the actuall disk from its housing then connect it directly to my mother board! is this a kul idea? any other ideas?

nickcreations

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
i have a feeling its not a head crush...maybe the "board" that interfaces between the usb part and disk is messed up somehow...causing all this errors....if its possible to get the harddisk out maybe i can recover data and disk!? if not atleast my hdd?

nickcreations

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
thanks, i managed to get the hdd out of the external case, n am now able to hook it up to the comp! tho now all that remains is the repair with the cd youve suggested! thanks!

bewodo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I had a External WD 500GB and there was a problem with power supply. And I took the hard disk out and connect it directly to PC, it worked... Asked support, this seems to be a relative common problem...
drfs