RV770 - Origins

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Upon going through my usual favorite tech sites, I found this article on Anandtech, and it was honestly one of the best reads I've had in a while.

The RV770 Story: Documenting ATI's Road to Success

Anand got to sit down with the heads of the ATI devlopment team for the HD 4800 series (Without PR people! :eek: ), and it's all about the history of the 4800's, and explains a lot about the design decisions and how it's such a radical departure from the standard methodology of making a new video chip.

Even if you don't like ATI or AMD, this is well worth the read. It exposes the more human side of the creation of a chip, and makes one realize just how far in advance major chips are designed.

Hope you guys enjoy~ :D

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I agree, even though I was pretty tired when I peeked at this last night, the article was really good. It just makes you wonder what the guys from the Green and Red teams are designing right now, if GT200 and RV770 were initially being designed 3 years ago. Not to mention you get to see a bit of the gutwrenching that went on at ATI when they proposed something entirely different from anything they'd worked on before. It's a good read.