Sign in with
Your question

SATA drive works fine IDE drive slows down my system

Last response: in Storage
April 12, 2010 11:54:16 AM

HI! Ive just recently built a new machine. In my old computer i had 2 HD, both IDE, now the new computer has the port for the old hd and alot of sata ports. so i installed the sata hd that followed (its 2TB) and i hooked up my old HD (which is 380Gb i think) but my computer ran unbelivable slow. so i disconnected the old HD and my computer ran fine. The thing is that i had no problems with the old HD in the other computer, i used it to store music and video etc, and used another HD for my system files. Thats what i wanna do now. I wanna use the SATA drive for my system files and so on, and have my old IDE harddrive to store music and games on. yes i know i should use the bigger one for the downloads and the old one for the system files since its smaller but anyways thats what i want.

i know the hd is fine and i know there must be something wrong with the system files. i run windows 7. what kind of program should i use to show you what im running so it might be easier for you? Let me know!
Thanks
April 12, 2010 12:10:12 PM

RipSkateDestroy said:
HI! Ive just recently built a new machine. In my old computer i had 2 HD, both IDE, now the new computer has the port for the old hd and alot of sata ports. so i installed the sata hd that followed (its 2TB) and i hooked up my old HD (which is 380Gb i think) but my computer ran unbelivable slow. so i disconnected the old HD and my computer ran fine. The thing is that i had no problems with the old HD in the other computer, i used it to store music and video etc, and used another HD for my system files. Thats what i wanna do now. I wanna use the SATA drive for my system files and so on, and have my old IDE harddrive to store music and games on. yes i know i should use the bigger one for the downloads and the old one for the system files since its smaller but anyways thats what i want.

i know the hd is fine and i know there must be something wrong with the system files. i run windows 7. what kind of program should i use to show you what im running so it might be easier for you? Let me know!
Thanks

i add alittle from CPU-z (or alot, maybe too much, if you need more just tell me please)

DMI BIOS
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version 0904
date 10/15/2009

DMI System Information
manufacturer System manufacturer
product System Product Name
version System Version
serial System Serial Number
UUID C01BCEF6-0EE8DE11-B0FCE0CB-4E3E6FD7

DMI Baseboard
vendor ASUSTeK Computer INC.
model M4A77TD PRO
revision Rev X.0x
serial 102963860001789

DMI System Enclosure
manufacturer Chassis Manufacture
chassis type Desktop
chassis serial Chassis Serial Number

DMI Processor
manufacturer AMD
model AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor
clock speed 2900.0 MHz
FSB speed 200.0 MHz
multiplier 14.5x

Hardware monitor AMD Athlon II X2 245
Power 0 15.05 W (Processor)
Temperature 0 22°C (70°F) [0xAC] (Core #0)
Temperature 1 21°C (70°F) [0xAB] (Core #1)

Hardware monitor ASUS EAH5450 Series
Temperature 0 33°C (90°F) (GPU Core)

Mainboard Model M4A77TD PRO (0x000002D9 - 0x52A45DF0)

Northbridge ATI 770 rev. 00
Southbridge AMD ID439D rev. 00
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 4096 MBytes
Channels Dual, (Unganged)
Memory Frequency 535.7 MHz (3:8)
CAS# latency (CL) 7.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 7
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7
Cycle Time (tRAS) 20
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 27
Command Rate (CR) 1T
Uncore Frequency 2008.8 MHz

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 2 (max 2)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name AMD Athlon II X2 245
Codename Regor
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor
Package Socket AM3 (938)
CPUID F.6.2
Extended CPUID 10.6
Brand ID 13
Core Stepping DA-C2
Technology 45 nm
Core Speed 803.5 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 4.0 x 200.9 MHz
HT Link speed 2008.8 MHz
Stock frequency 2900 MHz
Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, x86-64, AMD-V
L1 Data cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2 x 1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 4.0x - 14.5x
Max VID 1.425 V
P-State FID 0xD - VID 0x0A - IDD 23 (14.5x - 1.425 V)
P-State FID 0x6 - VID 0x12 - IDD 20 (11.0x - 1.325 V)
P-State FID 0x1 - VID 0x1A - IDD 19 (8.5x - 1.225 V)
P-State FID 0x100 - VID 0x26 - IDD 7 (4.0x - 1.075 V)

Package Type 0x1
Model 45
String 1 0x3
String 2 0x6
Page 0x0
TDP Limit 31 Watts
TDC Limit 23 Amps
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 0
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 1
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 2
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 3
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 4
a c 415 G Storage
April 12, 2010 5:26:05 PM

I'm thinking the IDE drive might be running in PIO mode instead of DMA mode. Try this:

--> Start -> (right-click on "Computer" ) -> Manage

--> Click on "Device Manager" in the left pane

--> In the right pane, double-click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" to open it up, then do the following for each channel in turn:

-----> Right-click on the channel and select "Properties".

-----> Click on the "Advanced Settings" tab

-----> In the "Devices" box, make sure that the "Current Mode" is some variant of DMA

If a channel is not running in DMA mode then that's likely to be your problem. To fix it, right-click on the controller and uninstall it, then reboot.
Related resources
a c 327 G Storage
April 12, 2010 5:45:01 PM

If i understand correctly, your old machine had 2 HDD's on an IDE channel, but now you have moved only one of them to the new machine. You should check the jumper settings on that drive. As the only device on an IDE port is MUST be the Master, so set jumpers that way. THEN it is recommended that you connect it to the END connector of the ribbon cable.
April 14, 2010 7:41:19 AM

sminlal said:
I'm thinking the IDE drive might be running in PIO mode instead of DMA mode. Try this:

--> In the right pane, double-click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" to open it up, then do the following for each channel in turn:

-----> In the "Devices" box, make sure that the "Current Mode" is some variant of DMA

If a channel is not running in DMA mode then that's likely to be your problem. To fix it, right-click on the controller and uninstall it, then reboot.

hi and thanks for your reply!

im gonna try and uninstall it alittle later today. i checked device manager when i first started to get the problem and it shoved some partition in pio mode 4 or something like that. i will try and uninstall it later today and get back to you. will that reset my hd back to dma automatically?
April 14, 2010 7:49:24 AM

Paperdoc said:
If i understand correctly, your old machine had 2 HDD's on an IDE channel, but now you have moved only one of them to the new machine. You should check the jumper settings on that drive. As the only device on an IDE port is MUST be the Master, so set jumpers that way. THEN it is recommended that you connect it to the END connector of the ribbon cable.

hi and thank you for your reply.
yes i tried that before i sent in the message. i tried that and the cable selected setting but none of them worked.

i think it might be what the other guy said about the Pio settings. because before i got the new computer i tried the harddrive in another computer, which after alot of failing i found out that the chipfan had shut off, so everytime i was installing windows it shut down. and ive read somewhere that alot of shutdowns might force the harddrive into Pio mode. Ive tried to get it back to normal but with no luck. so ill try what he suggested to uninstall it today and see what happens.

but thank you for your reply
April 14, 2010 10:52:00 AM

sminlal said:

ok i tried it. i have this on my device manager
ata channel 0 - ata disk - pio mode 4
ata channel 0 - ata disk - ultra dma mode 6
ata channel 1 - atapi cdrom - ultra dma mode 5
ata channel 1 - nothing

i tried uninstalling one of the ata channel 0 , then it converted into a ultra dma mode 6, but then the other ata channel 0 turned into the pio mode 4. and the other way around. so i uninstalled both, and they did the same. also the driver 'failed' to install when i started up the system again.

any suggestions?
a c 415 G Storage
April 14, 2010 6:10:29 PM

This sounds very much to me like you have a cable problem on that channel. I'd double-check what Paperdoc recommended - the device on the end of the cable should be set to MASTER and the other device should be set to SLAVE. If that doesn't pan out, try using a new IDE cable.

If you don't have a new cable on hand, you could swap the cables between the two sets of devices to see if the problem moves with the cable. If it does, it's definitely the cable and you should buy a new one.
April 14, 2010 7:37:58 PM

sminlal said:
This sounds very much to me like you have a cable problem on that channel. I'd double-check what Paperdoc recommended - the device on the end of the cable should be set to MASTER and the other device should be set to SLAVE. If that doesn't pan out, try using a new IDE cable.

If you don't have a new cable on hand, you could swap the cables between the two sets of devices to see if the problem moves with the cable. If it does, it's definitely the cable and you should buy a new one.

ive tried that too, i used the old one which i used in my old computer and i used a new one which came with my new computer, same thing.
a c 415 G Storage
April 14, 2010 8:25:33 PM

Something else to try might be to swap the cables between the two ports so that the optical drive is by itself on Channel 0. If there's something flaky with the channel itself that might identify it.
April 16, 2010 12:43:14 PM

the optical rive is sata too. its only the old hd thats not sata. the cdrom and the new harddrive are both sata. so only one hardware on ata.

but theres gotta be something with the pio issue. because everything described as pio sounds like everything im dealing with. because bios and windows both find the harddrive.

ata channel 0 - ata disk - pio mode 4
ata channel 0 - ata disk - ultra dma mode 6
ata channel 1 - atapi cdrom - ultra dma mode 5
ata channel 1 - nothing

is this right?

is the ultra dma mode 6 my sata drive or doesnt that show up there?

because when i uninstall the ata channel 0 with the pio, it shows as ultra dma mode 6, but then the ultra dma mode 6 goes into the pio mode 4. so when i uninstall them they just switch places.

i think if i got rid of the pio mode 4 thing it would run smooth, but i cant seem to shake it.

im running windows 7 btw.

thanks again sminlal for still giving me solutions!! :) 
April 16, 2010 12:44:58 PM

one more thing: isnt there a program i could download and run so that i could copy whatever you need to read in here? might be alittle easier for you to help out? i got cpu-z but i dont know if theres anything in there that could tell you more of my problem. if theres another program please let me know and ill get it and run it.
a c 415 G Storage
April 16, 2010 3:46:14 PM

I haven't seen you say anywhere that you've actually checked the jumper on the IDE drive. If it's the ONLY IDE drive attached to that cable, then the jumpers on the drive MUST be set so the drive is the MASTER, and it should be attached to the END connector on the cable, not the middle one.

If this isn't the case, it could be the cause of your PIO problems.

Have you checked this?
April 17, 2010 9:07:17 AM

sminlal said:
I haven't seen you say anywhere that you've actually checked the jumper on the IDE drive. If it's the ONLY IDE drive attached to that cable, then the jumpers on the drive MUST be set so the drive is the MASTER, and it should be attached to the END connector on the cable, not the middle one.

Have you checked this?

yes i have. ive changed them from cable select to master, still same problem. but i took off the jumper and switch it around ;)  and i got to put the HD into dma mode 5, but the computer runs still slow. so now i think that the pio might not be the issue this time. i checked explorer and the HARDDRIVE was now not found. :S
a c 126 G Storage
April 17, 2010 1:56:34 PM

sminlal said:

Have you checked this?

Honestly, when i still used PATA i could use any jumper setting and any cable output (middle & end) as long as there was just one PATA drive connected to that cable. With multiple drives; things could go wrong without proper jumper settings. And also putting master on the middle end of the cable does not work in all cases; but it does sometimes. That kind of design is very bad; a user should not be able to plug something in that wasn't meant to be that way.

Good thing PATA almost completely disappeared from modern systems.

@TS: can u try and post the SMART values from your PATA disk? It should tell instantly whether or not you have cabling issues.
a c 415 G Storage
April 17, 2010 6:58:42 PM

I think it's about this point where I'd just buy a new SATA drive, copy everything to it from the PATA drive, and then throw the durn thing out...
a c 126 G Storage
April 17, 2010 9:00:32 PM

Good plan :D 
!