Sign in with
Your question

3-Head PCI-E or Secondary PCI Card Options

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 3, 2008 3:55:30 PM

Hello all,

I am looking to hook up 3 displays to one of my computers. I have a PCI-e x16 slot, various PCI slots, and a PCI-e x1 slot. The software I am running requires at least 256MB of memory on the video cards, and cannot use on-board graphics.

Does anyone know of a 3 headed PCI-e x16 video card? VGA or DVI or a mixture are all acceptable.

Alternatively, if I put a 2 headed PCI-e x16 card in, does anyone know of a PCI (not express) card with 256MB of memory that runs cool (preferably with a fan) that I can use for the third monitor?

NVIDIA preferable.

Many thanks,
EricVIU
December 3, 2008 5:16:54 PM

or this

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_nvs_450_us....

the quadro cards are really expensive from what i know of
a more cost effective solution might be to just get a replacement mobo that has two x16 pcie slots and then get a cheaper gfx card, depending on yer setup, a new mobo may cost about 100$, plus an extra gfx card, maybe 40 bucks for a cheap one
the 140$ is gunnna be much less than the price of a quadro or even the matrox solutions

on a side note: having two gfx cards works well when they are from same manufacturer and using similar drivers from my own experience
Related resources
December 3, 2008 5:32:38 PM

What about using a PCI x1 card for the second card, like the NVIDIA GF 8400GS PCIE X1 by Hewlett Packard that I just found?
December 3, 2008 5:44:19 PM

ericfarbman said:
What about using a PCI x1 card for the second card, like the NVIDIA GF 8400GS PCIE X1 by Hewlett Packard that I just found?

that should work as well, pcie x1 is way better than pci :) 
December 3, 2008 5:45:39 PM

Thanks for the advice!
!