Sign in with
Your question

Linksys Router & ATT DSL Setup Help Please???

Last response: in Networking
April 22, 2009 11:20:00 PM

I recently got DSL through ATT and I have their Motorola 2210 Modem installed on my Main PC. I wanted to hook up my laptop to have Wireless Capabilities as well as be able to share my DSL connection. And also be able to hook up my sons PS3 for online access, thus the reason I bought the Linksys router. I have no clue what I am doing if there isnt some tutorial in front of me. Here is the problem. I hooked my laptop up and was going to install the router from there and have it be the main PC in the house since my Desktop has no working CD player at the moment. I go through all the software and hook up the Router which I am absolutley 100% certain is hooked up right, and the Computer cannot locate the router!! Since I installed that software I have no longer been able to get online with my ATT DSL from the Laptop something about some sort of setting in the System Name Field..its empty and I dont know what I need to input there to get it to work. Question is, how in the world do I get my Laptop(running Vista Home Premium) to recognize the Lynksys Router so that I can hook up my Desktop as a secondary PC and my sons PS3...am I making sense?? At this point I am frustrated and need some advice from a more experienced Computer User. Thanks!

Gwen
Anonymous
April 22, 2009 11:41:03 PM

The default IP Address of the Motorola 2210 modem is 192.168.1.254 which conflicts with the Linksys's 192.168.1.1 IP address. Don't use the setup CD. Disconnect the router from the modem. Connect your laptop using the CAT5 cable that came with Linksys to one of the LAN ports on the Linksys. Open Internet Explorer and type http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar. Login as admin/admin and change the IP Address of the Linksys to 192.168.2.1. Disconnect the laptop and reconnect the DSL modem to the Internet port of the linksys. Find the wireless network called linksys and connect. You should now have Internet.

Grumpy
April 23, 2009 5:15:53 PM

:bounce:  Thank you so very much Grumpy! It worked like a charm!
Related resources
September 8, 2009 11:01:04 PM

Thank you very much ...i was struggling for this from 2 weeks. :) 
January 15, 2010 4:43:43 AM

:bounce:  Thank you Grumpy, I have tried for three weeks to get this to work. ATT want to charge me $$100.00 $149.00 to assist me. Do you believe that? Thanks to you Grumpy i can save some money.
July 15, 2010 5:39:23 AM

Quote:
The default IP Address of the Motorola 2210 modem is 192.168.1.254 which conflicts with the Linksys's 192.168.1.1 IP address. Don't use the setup CD. Disconnect the router from the modem. Connect your laptop using the CAT5 cable that came with Linksys to one of the LAN ports on the Linksys. Open Internet Explorer and type http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar. Login as admin/admin and change the IP Address of the Linksys to 192.168.2.1. Disconnect the laptop and reconnect the DSL modem to the Internet port of the linksys. Find the wireless network called linksys and connect. You should now have Internet.

Grumpy

Thank you Grumpy
I have one question for you I use to be able to listen to internet radio on my laptop but now my laptop will not broadcast the stations. I have Vista on my desktop and laptop but desktop works well.
April 28, 2011 4:54:31 PM

Quote:

Grumpy

Been trying to set-up router for 2 weeks now with no luck at all! Did what you said and done in a minute !!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH :bounce: 
!