Slacker82

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Hey everybody. just signed up to this forum

I recently bought a phenom X4 9950 processor, AM2+. From what i gather, its looking for a 140 watt slot.

The motherboard ive stuck it in is an Asus m2n-e, AM2. from what i gather, it supplys a 125 watt slot. (i know, but the ASUS website said its am2+ compatable)

After updating the BIOS i was finally able to get it working (wouldnt even post with previous BIOS version) but i am unable to tell if i've really gotten any improvement over my old 4400+ dual core.

My computer is basically a gaming computer. its all thats done on it. lately, Empire: Total War and nothing else. The game was released march '09 so i... think.. its set up for quad cores but i have no way of finding that out.

I've called my favorite computer parts dealer (NCIX in vancouver) and the guy on the phone says I wont see much of an improvement if i upgrade my motherboard.

I am hoping someone here can confirm this. Is this true? Should i spring the hundred bucks to buy a new motherboard with an AM2+ slot? will i see any improvement in my gaming?
I understand games are so much more focused on the GPU but i plan on updating that on a seperate date.

Any help you smart people can offer will be very much appreciated.

Asus M2N-E
phenom x4 9950 quad@2.6
OCD psu @ 600 watt
Galaxy factory oc'd geforce 8800GT
2 gb corsair ram
windows xp