Need Windows XP help -- badly

September 18, 2005 7:36:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I need to defrag windows installation drive D:/ because I have made a lot
of software changes, removal of software that is not used and installation
of many games and game demos, and some utilities.

I opened the widows defragmenter and none of the buttons say anything
so I do not know what to click, same in the drop down menu.

I opened add/remove programs to click add/remove windows components
and I get the error, stop message:

message box:

Windows XP setup
[ ! ]
Setup library msdtcstp.dll could not be loaded, or function OcEntry cold not be found.
Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x7e.
[ OK ] click

new message box:

windows XP setup
[ X ]
The application could not be initialized
[ OK ] click

After this mess I try to open the Windows help file, no joy and no help file.
I definitely do not want to use "system restore" because I never created a
"restore point" as long as I have owned XP, maybe two years now.

Anyone know what on Earth I should do? ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

TIA,

--
Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

More about : windows badly

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:13:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> Try this:-
> How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Why not individual component extraction from the wxp disc?

--
Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Stoopid me, problem solved, no more help needed. I ever so foolishly used
a cute lil' proggy called "DLLArchive". I had recently used it to get rid of
unused DLL files that are supposedly not connected with anything, the proggy
is supposed to figure this out, no worky for win-xp as it is (C) 2000, before
XP. I restored all DLLs and everything works fine.

http://www.analogx.com/welcome.htm

Thanks for the replies,

--
Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Well, you could go out on the web, and find a site that specializes in Dlls,
etc.and download missing ones, or extract them from the XP disk.
However, without knowing what you really uninstalled, It's simpler to
suggest a windows repair install.

"AAvK" <ahem@notquite.net> wrote in message

> > Try this:-
> > How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
> >

> Why not individual component extraction from the wxp disc?
>
> --
> Giant_Alex
> cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 2:09:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Run chkdsk /f first.
Or go MyComputer, Drive Properties/Tools/Check Disk or such
Michael

> I need to defrag windows installation drive D:/ because I have made a lot
> of software changes, removal of software that is not used and installation
> of many games and game demos, and some utilities.
>
> I opened the widows defragmenter and none of the buttons say anything
> so I do not know what to click, same in the drop down menu.
>
> I opened add/remove programs to click add/remove windows components
> and I get the error, stop message:
>
> message box:
>
> Windows XP setup
> [ ! ]
> Setup library msdtcstp.dll could not be loaded, or function OcEntry cold
> not be found.
> Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x7e.
> [ OK ] click
>
> new message box:
>
> windows XP setup
> [ X ]
> The application could not be initialized
> [ OK ] click
>
> After this mess I try to open the Windows help file, no joy and no help
> file.
> I definitely do not want to use "system restore" because I never created a
> "restore point" as long as I have owned XP, maybe two years now.
>
> Anyone know what on Earth I should do? ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Giant_Alex
> cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 6:47:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Volume HDisc-1-D (D:)
Volume size = 76.33 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 36.53 GB
Free space = 39.80 GB
Percent free space = 52 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 20 %
File fragmentation = 40 %
Free space fragmentation = 1 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 126,076
Average file size = 495 KB
Total fragmented files = 14,923
Total excess fragments = 121,200
Average fragments per file = 1.96

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.46 GB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 6,723
Fragmented folders = 252
Excess folder fragments = 1,644

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 322 MB
MFT record count = 133,893
Percent MFT in use = 40 %
Total MFT fragments = 3
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 3:43:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows.xp,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you need to defrag you might try Perfect Disk. It's free for 30 days.

"AAvK" <ahem@notquite.net> wrote in message

> I need to defrag windows installation drive D:/ because I have made a lot
> of software changes, removal of software that is not used and installation
> of many games and game demos, and some utilities.
>
> I opened the widows defragmenter and none of the buttons say anything
> so I do not know what to click, same in the drop down menu.
>
> I opened add/remove programs to click add/remove windows components
> and I get the error, stop message:
>
> message box:
>
> Windows XP setup
> [ ! ]
> Setup library msdtcstp.dll could not be loaded, or function OcEntry cold
> not be found.
> Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x7e.
> [ OK ] click
>
> new message box:
>
> windows XP setup
> [ X ]
> The application could not be initialized
> [ OK ] click
>
> After this mess I try to open the Windows help file, no joy and no help
> file.
> I definitely do not want to use "system restore" because I never created a
> "restore point" as long as I have owned XP, maybe two years now.
>
> Anyone know what on Earth I should do? ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Giant_Alex
> cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

May 13, 2006 3:30:45 AM

Best Defragger, the new Diskeeper.
The Premiere version is best, has IFAAST.
see here
May 17, 2006 5:11:03 PM

Damn screwed up threads...
May 17, 2006 6:23:41 PM

Actually, if you have a 7200 RPM drive, tests have shown defragging is of little practical use in most cases, except for the extremely fragged drive.
May 19, 2006 2:37:33 PM

Argh! Fix it!

;)
!