HSF orientation

hamiac

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I was looking at getting the thermalright ultra 120 extreme rev c because it seems a average size cooler with good reviews, however I want to mount it in a coolermaster gladiator 600 onto a Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard in the north-south orientation (fan blowing up, into the top exhaust fan).

So two questions.
a) Is the HSF too high for that case?

b) Will it block my corsair dominator ram when in that configuration?

Thanks

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
1) Probably not, as that is an enthusiast case, and it's total depth of 202mm means you have 60mm+ for motherboard and mounting space. Just an educated guess, but I would probably go for it. But I am also the type that if it was a few MM too tall, would just cut sh!t to make room, hah. Take out a measuring tape and check your clearance from the chip to the side panel to be sure.

2) Again, this is hard to say, but measure from the center of the cpu to the edge of the first ram slots. If that distance is more than half of the width of the HSF, then you should be fine. If half the HSF width is wider than that distance, and you have memory with tall heatspeaders (i believe the dominator does, too lazy to google image it) then you may be forced to abandon those slots, if you are intent on keeping the ram you have and using this HSF. The bottom edge of the HSF fins might be high enough to work overtop of non-heatspreader memory.

mattidallama

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
if the case is 202 and the mom and mounting space takes up 60 plus mm then your down to 140 mm on space between case wall and cpu and the heatsink is 160.5 mm tall so your 20mm too tall to fit in your case. thats almost a full inch so you might have to look for a shorter heatsink. your going to want to go with something like these
http://www.frostytech.com/top5_lowprofile_heatsinks.cfm or anything shorter the 120mm

The typical tower style cpu heatsink with a 120mm fan is about 160mm tall and requires a pc case that is at least 8 inches (204mm) wide. Your case is just a very tiny bit short. There are a couple of good cpu heatsinks that are just under 160mm at frostytech.com that mattidallama linked to.

note - For some reason frostytech.com list the Prolimatech Megahalem as being 154mm tall. That appears to be an error. Prolimatech lists it as 158.7mm tall at their web site.

Lutfij

Titan

TRENDING THREADS