Considering a custom built PC, your opinions.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I think it is way overpriced, and it is used with no original software, and no warranty.

I can build you what ever you want. Mail me a newegg cart, I can help you tweak for optimum performance/ price, you pay cost plus $100. The $100 covers assembly/testing and tech support, and you can purchase a 3 year warranty through www.squaretrade.com

Foocoustic

Nov 7, 2008
I just put an similar build on newegg.com together and it game out to $1,500. If the seller accepted that much do you think it would be worth it?

Read this post again, I think you missed it. This would be advice well taken.

Did you not read roadrunner's post? Did you give him a chance to help you pick out the hardware?
You can put together something for much less than $1500 that will be just as good and fast as this dishonest person on ebay is trying to sell for.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Look,

The Guy already said he is installing pirated software on the PC.
If you buy it, you are now a criminal for knowingly buying stolen software.

On top of that, why would you trust someone who is an admitted theif and fraud?

Foocoustic

Nov 7, 2008
I just really like the way that computer was put together, I've never seen such organization. I'm still considering roadrunners offer, but I'm also considering just learning how to do everything right myself.

As for saying he has pirated software, He doesnt suggest to that anywhere. not wanting to include the software disks with the sale means just that, he just wants to keep them. I dont appreciate harsh assumptions, stuff like that always gets under my skin...

Building a computer yourself is not difficult, if you have a little patience and reasonable manual dexterity. There are a lot of guides online on how to do it, and lots of forum threads here on part selection, as well as plenty of people willing to help.

I recommend a standard compaq, hp or dell system, and adding a mid range video card. Dell has had q6600 systems with 3 gigs of memory for as little as $399 plus shipping listed at fatwallet. You get vista, a one year warranty, and maybe a 350 watt power supply, which will handle a mid range video card, such as the 3850. It's much safer than ebay, and dell ships all over the world. With the economy the way it is, I would monitor fatwallet and similar sites for deals before ordering.

+1. It's not the parts/assembling that's hard, it's the willingness to build and troubleshoot that you need.

If he is not including the installation disks, then he is selling you a COPY of an installed OS.
Why would he not include the installation disk? He cannot use the disks to reinstall the OS on anything else, unless it is pirated.
That means that it is not legal. He is also selling you over 20 gig of copied music, which I do not believe is exactly legal either.
Either way, you will still have to buy a copy of Windows, (unless you have one) and do a complete reinstall and reconfiguring of the system once you get it, which will add to your overall cost.
We are not making harsh assumptions, we are just simply stating what is blantently obvious.

zero3one

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Well in that case, go for it! It's a real "steal" of a bargain. Good luck!

One last note, yes if put together a similar system and come up with a cost of $1500 for all brand new parts.....
To me, used computer parts are not worth much. If you cut the price for this system in half, say $750 then I would think maybe it is a decent deal. It is a pretty highly overclocked system, another reason for concern. Not a great deal, but decent enough that it would be worth buying, formatting the drives, and starting over with it.

TRENDING THREADS