4 pin connector melting

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hey everyone,

Ive had my setup running for about a year with no problems, but tonight, i noticed a weird smell coming out of the box, like plastic being burnt or melting, after some investigating I discovered that one of the pins in the square 4 pin connector had been completely burnt, just the middle metal part was left. I fitted the connector back in and switched the pc back on after having left it to cool down, and 4 mins after startup i noticed the smell again, so I switched it off and Im writing this from my crappy laptop. Its not overclocked at all, and as I said, this is a new problem, I have no idea how this came about

Should I keep on using it and live with the horrible smell, or is there something I can do to fix it? Not using it isnt an option for me since I have really important work on it I need to finish.

also, i forgot to mention, the area next to the connector was very, very hot, almost untouchable, and slightly discolored.

pichu

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I lowered the clock value from the default of 3.2gHZ to 2.8hgHZ and it seems that that the smell is gone.