New build boots OK but freezes during install

PaulProe

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I am putting together a new system and it is driving me batty, the system just freezes up, no particular time or reason. It does POST ok, and memtest86 seems to run just fine. But as I am putting in the OS, it will lock up somewhere during the process. I have installed the OS about 15 times, I did get it all on one time but the system would intermittently freeze. It seems to be a timing or interrrupt issue, but I just may be jumping to conclusions.

Details on the parts:

CPU = Intel E8500
MOTHERBOARD = Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR
RAM = Mushkin DDR3 1333 2x2Gb
HEATSINK = Intel, 49degrees
OS = XP, Vista or Win7, all display problem
POWER SUPPLY = Antec 500W
VIDEO CARD = Sapphire 4830
SOUND CARD = Onboard - Realtek
CASE = LianLi
HDD = Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 250Gb & Maxtor 80Gb Both are SATA

I have tried the minimal boot process and the freezing still occurs under that condition.

There is really no time or reason why or when the freeze will occur. Sometimes, I get all the way thru the install, the system restarts and then it freezes during the reboot. Sometimes the logo will display and freeze, other times, the system freezes during the painting of the image so I get a scrambled image

The Memory calls for 1.7 - 1.8 volts. The board comes configured for 1.5 I've tried 1.5, 1.7, 1.76 and 1.8 All display the same problem.

I've tried optimum settings, Minimum settings and custom settings, all show the same problem

I've tried upping the Northbridge voltage a couple points but no change

If I run an app to takes over the system, like Partition Commander or MemTest, the system seems to run OK - but I may have just been lucky or didn't use it long enough

Any ideas? If it wouldn't post, I'd blame the Mobo, but in this case, it tries to start and then it can't.

Suggestions or ideas

Thanks,

Paul

PaulProe

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008

Vcore 1.220
Mem Volt 1.760
3.3V 3.248
12V 12.302

MCHcore 1.1
MCHref .76
Ich I/O 1.55
Ich core 1.1

The highest temp I've seen is 50.

Thanks for looking over my shoulder

I'll try taking out the Seagate drive, I know the 2nd drive is good and functional, it is from my previous build. The Seagate is only 250Gb. Will check if it is one of the faulty units

Paul

PaulProe

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
For once, I get lucky :) my drives are not affected.

I have kind of narrowed it down to a memory compatibility error. The trick now is to figure out the necessary tweaks to the BIOS to get the Gigabyte motherboard to like the Mushkin memory.

I have been able to get it up and running, now to figure out how to get performance from it

Paul

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
what os do you have? once i was unable to boot into windows once because a bios setting was changed that was for 64bit OSes ( mine was 32). it was called memory hole or something. it happened after installing ubuntu.

PaulProe

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I have tried this with XPsp3, VistaSP1 and Win7

All display the exact same problem albiet worse with Vista and Win7. It seems anything that loads the CPU heavily creates the problem. I have backed off on some timings and it seems to help but it is borderline.

I am pretty much convinced it is a Memory/Motherboard/Voltage/Settings issue. Anyone know a good source of settings for these things?

Paul

bilbat

Splendid
I'll get you a 'workable' batch of BIOS settings - I've got to do a little looking first, as you've got a 't', and I don't see a lot of DDR3 - I wasn't willing to pay for it; in the meantime, what do you have plugged into USB? And, what BIOS settings are you using for it? USB problems are pretty common on the 'd' family of MOBOs...

PaulProe

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
bilbat,
for the USB stuff: Mouse and Canon Pixma IP4000 printer. As far as the BIOS settings, I used the "optimized settings" then turned:
Performance Enhance: Std
XMP: Disabled
(G)MCH Freq. Latch: 333
Sys. Mem. Multiplier: 2.4
Memory timings: 7-7-7-20
DRAM Voltage: 1.70
MCH Voltage: 1.360

Paul