Q6600 CPU Speenfan Temp Issues (new build)

sskott

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Just built new PC

Vista 64
EVGA 750i mobo
Q6600 CPU
8800GT GPU
8GB DD2 1066
All in Antec 900 case

Speenfan is getting me concerned:

Idle:

After 15 minutes gameplay:

Any ideas what the problem could be here, is speedfan telling me the truth?

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
That look way too high at the low of a load. Is your CPU heatsink on properly? What kind of thermal paste did you use, or did you use what came on the stock heatsink? Does your case have decent airflow? If your system temperature is right that is too high also. What happens if you try it with the side off of the case with a house fan blowing into it as a test?

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
The Temps I see from your setup resemble the ones I had with the Stock HSF from Intel...

Since Intel released the TDP for all Core 2 CPus, Speedfan was adjusted to reflect the same Temps deltas as Coretemp (+/- 15C difference when comparing older speedfan version with Coretemp).

Imho if you don't get CPU throtteling due to overheating, you should be "OK", but I would personally see if you could add more airflow to your setup, or get a better cooler altogether.

sskott

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste
I'll re-seat the CPU shortly and apply a new coat.
Case has great airflow, new Antec 900 with 4 fans all high speed.
This case has a fenced ventilation on the side.

What is strange is that it feels very cool when I place my hand near the CPU.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Weird indeed, but be advised that the push pins might not always fasten all the way, this happened to me when I built another Core 2 system, one of the 4 pins was only partially secured.

If you run the CPU @ stock, you should get somewhere between 32-38C @ idle using the Stock HSF (without C1E or Speedstep enabled that is). And this is from the 3-4 systems I built using Q6600's with stock HSF. All of them used the TIM that came with the stock HSF. Also your stock Vcore is lower than mine was, so again very strange.

Sometimes the TIM takes time to completely settle, so you might see @ 1-3C difference in a couple of days or weeks, but not enough to warrant such a huge difference...

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Do you know if it's a G0 or a B3 model? (the Q6600 I mean) SInce B3's tend to be hotter...

Edit: Sorry just saw the Coretemps panel stating that it's a G0.

sskott

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
CPU Model: BX80562Q6600

Just re-seated CPU, applied new coat of thermal paste (dime size amount in center of cpu), made sure all 4 heatsink fan pins were secure.

Still getting the same temps... Airflow is good.

Should I buy a new heatsink fan since they're cheap? If so how much of a difference can I expect in terms of temp?

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

Way too hot. I have the same cpu, same stepping, same vcore but running at 3.3 G. idle temp is 30 ( that is the hottest core). Reseat the heat sink .

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
You can't always be sure they are secure without removing the motherboard. If you get an aftermarket heatsink get one with a backing plate, which requires removing the motherboard.

easymoney9

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Too much thermal paste. According to AS5 website(with quad core cpus) you should put a thin line down the center of the cpu and clock it back and fourth one time to spread the paste then lock the heatsink down with the pushpins. With those temps I dont believe the heatsink is fully locked down by the pins.

sskott

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I think I discovered the issue.

One of the four pins to the heatsink, even once clicked in... has a very small amount of spacing between the plastic and the mobo. So I'm presuming part of the heatsink isn't being completly pressed down against the CPU.

Any suggestions as to which heatsink fan I could buy? from newegg as I get a discount there.

sskott

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I may buy that fan dwarf.

My current idle temps after reseating/applying new TIM

This looking any better?

sskott

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008

I'm afraid to use Prime95 until I get my new heat sink fan installed ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106061 )

When I play Fallout 3 at max settings the CPU temp hits nearly 80, and the core temps are in the 90s. I played earlier for a bit and I started getting slow down after 20 minutes or so (i think due to overheating) I shouldn't be getting slow down with my system.