Your question

Cat 8.12 betas !!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2008 11:31:13 PM

fixed, for both ^
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 1:38:31 AM

Very tempting. Too bad I'm really too busy right now. I hope they add some decent performance like they claim (though to be honest, I'm more that satisfied with my 4850 as is, the rest of my comp, however, could use an upgrade).
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 4, 2008 1:43:24 AM

good find jaydee
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 3:57:22 AM

I'm going to try them. Hopefully, they'll help quite a bit on the i7 platform.
December 4, 2008 4:13:21 AM

Nice find. I'll install it this weekend! Btw, what are the updates so far on this new driver?
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 4:25:40 AM

They don't seem to work with my 4870x2. I can't get them to install properly. I might mess with them more when I have time, but for now, it's 8.11's.
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 4:28:10 AM

Ok so here we have a set of performance drivers aimed squarely at the 4 series, and presumably Vista?
So is it time for those of us who have 3 series cards and running XP to stop updating the Drivers ? I mean if they are concentrating on these new performance features of the 4 series its unlikley that the 3 series or below will benefit, is it?
Your thoughts please
Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 5:21:38 AM

After reading about how nVidia seems to have tweaked their drivers for quad cores, and ATI hasnt, then all cards will eventually gain from this, if the tweaks are included for all drivers. Since there isnt any new releases for awhile, nows the time for improvements, so Im thinking any thatre made should include all cards.
Maybe if they dont, someone should hint that the people who stuck by them, while they pirchased the 2 or 3xxx series, are the most important customers, as theyre the most likely to keep purchasing them in the future
a c 86 U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 10:08:47 AM

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...
Quote:
ATI has revealed more details about its upcoming Catalyst 8.12 drivers.
Here are ATI's projected performance gains in several popular titles. Is this enough to fend off Nvidia? You be the judge:

Crysis + 2-7%
Crysis Warhead + 2-3%
Devil May Cry 4 + 1-6%
Far Cry 2
+ noAA scores are fixed for Crossfire configs; this is worth +20% on slower cards, and as much as 70% on faster ones
+ 5-10% gains when AA is enabled
FEAR + 2-6%
Left 4 Dead + 2-4%
Lost Planet Colonies + 3-10%, mostly in Area 2
Prey + 2-5%
STALKER Clear Sky + 5-10%, primarily on Crossfire configurations

some are nice, others not really that substantial. not sure whether these leaked betas are going to perform as well...
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 10:13:22 AM

On another forum, someones said theyre getting nice returns on L4D
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 10:48:42 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
After reading about how nVidia seems to have tweaked their drivers for quad cores, and ATI hasnt, then all cards will eventually gain from this, if the tweaks are included for all drivers. Since there isnt any new releases for awhile, nows the time for improvements, so Im thinking any thatre made should include all cards.
Maybe if they dont, someone should hint that the people who stuck by them, while they pirchased the 2 or 3xxx series, are the most important customers, as theyre the most likely to keep purchasing them in the future

Couldnt agree more as far as ATI standing up and saying that the newer drivers wont benefit older cards. I guess its even possable that some of the drivers will hurt performance. What would be nice idealy is for ATI to say OK we are at the end of development of drivers for X/Y or Z cards and here are the drivers that work best for these cards or possably offer up to three versions (just in case ;)  ).

Mactronix
December 4, 2008 11:50:01 AM

^yeah like NV driver page.

ATI has it set up as if it would send you to a different driver by having you select the card you have but it just gives you the current driver. It is pretty much pointless to select your video card in that list.

If select an older card through the NV driver page it will take you to an older driver version however.
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 5:57:29 PM

Thanks for the link jaydee:)  will install and post the results.
December 4, 2008 6:26:05 PM

Today? I am curious to see if they come close to what the Fud report had in it. Shouldn't there be a review out by now?
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 7:56:40 PM

Well, I seem to have them working, and there's a definite improvement in Crysis. I haven't tested anything else yet.
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 8:20:07 PM

I cant download it :(  something has happened to internet here that i cant download from sites like rapidshare or so,i wish i could use an accelerator,because when DL'ng,it downloads about 5mbs then stops :( 
December 4, 2008 10:41:51 PM

Bunch of damn FPS performance numbers. **** FPS, lets see some numbers from real games.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 10:49:09 PM

Like what?

I'd give performance on Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, but I can't seem to get that one working yet.
December 4, 2008 10:56:50 PM

red alert 3 runs maxed on my laptop...lol Try supreme commander or World in Conflict. Even Age of empires 3 works maxed on my laptop with AA.

I would like to see far cry 2, all this stuff about DX 10.1 and free AA, yet I saw nothing, the X2 performs pretty much like the 280 GTX at the game
December 4, 2008 10:59:20 PM

cjl said:
Like what?

I'd give performance on Command and Conquer Red Alert 3, but I can't seem to get that one working yet.

wasnt targeting anybody specific lol, just that list kari pasted/linked. Just any "normal" game really, FPS are usually a bad game source to test a card's abilities, the picture isnt clear.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2008 11:23:25 PM

spathotan said:
wasnt targeting anybody specific lol, just that list kari pasted/linked. Just any "normal" game really, FPS are usually a bad game source to test a card's abilities, the picture isnt clear.

What?

FPS are some of the best to test a card's abilities, as they tend to be both among the most demanding and among the ones requiring the most fluidity.

December 4, 2008 11:34:35 PM

What I ment, for example is Crysis. It makes card Z look like garbage, but card Z performs great in all other games. So its a misleading game for benchmarking.
December 5, 2008 2:38:38 AM

Crysis in all things in an exception. Except in gameplay quality, pretty average there.
December 5, 2008 3:04:20 AM

So here are my FC2 findings from XP64 and Vista32. Can't get the benchmark working so this is just a measurement of min-max at the same starting point with some running around and grenade tossing for a couple of minutes. From 8.11, the max FPS spikes way higher to much surprise. The min seems to be pretty close across the board. There is a huge bug with XP64 running at 2xAA with xfire. It also seems like XP dx9 doesn't run as well as Vista dx9.

1440x900
4870 @ 790/1100 (edit: 512MB versions)
X3350 @3.4GHz
4GB RAM

FC2 - (UHigh settings with VHigh Shadows)

...noAA........................................................

XP-64 (dx9, single GPU): 55-70 FPS
XP-64 (dx9, xfire) : 55-70 FPS

vista-32 (dx9, single GPU): 52-75 FPS
vista-32 (dx9, xfire): 53-148 FPS

vista-32 (dx10.1, single GPU): 42-114 FPS
vista-32 (dx10.1, xfire): 40-120 FPS

...2xAA.......................................................

XP-64 (dx9, single GPU): 50-65 FPS
XP-64 (dx9, xfire) : 15-25 FPS (not playable)

vista-32 (dx9, single GPU): 48-70 FPS
vista-32 (dx9, xfire): 51-160 FPS

vista-32 (dx10.1, single GPU): 41-104 FPS
vista-32 (dx10.1, xfire): 42-122 FPS

...4xaa.......................................................

XP-64 (dx9, single GPU): 7-10 FPS (not playable)
XP-64 (dx9, xfire) : 35-40 FPS (choppy, not playable)

vista-32 (dx9, single GPU): 44-60 FPS
vista-32 (dx9, xfire): 48-140 FPS

vista-32 (dx10.1, single GPU): 44-80 FPS
vista-32 (dx10.1, xfire): 43-130 FPS
December 5, 2008 3:21:34 AM

guys I just checked the link that jaydeejohn posted and they've released an update. Apparently those drivers when first posted have some compatibility issues with some hardware. I'm unsure of the details since I used google translate and it's not very clear what the issue was.

Anyways. I am using the beta drivers RC3 version now and I've only tested it with L4D. In the past, my frames occasionally will drop to 53 fps but now it stays stuck at 59 fps no matter what happens. I guess there is some performance gains although I'd love to unlock the FPS lock that Valve placed on this game to see how far this baby can take it.

I'm going to be trying FC2 very soon so keep an eye out. I'm hoping they will fix the stuttering issue when AA is turned on. It's especially noticable if you're driving on a car and slightly noticable when walking. I can't wait to see what happens on Vista 64bit + DX10.1 on FC2. I'm hoping for much better game play :) 
December 5, 2008 3:28:37 AM

^ it seems a lot more stable. All of the vista tests that I did ran very smoothly except 2xAA with a single GPU. It still didn't stutter but it was a little laggy feeling when looking around.
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 3:57:11 AM

Just remember, these ARE betas, so there may be issues.
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 4:14:03 AM

Maziar and anyone else who has a x2, it appears the startup bug has been fixed, meaning that both cores read 507Mhz in 2D
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 4:17:19 AM

Oh thank goodness, that little bug always annoyed me.
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 4:25:34 AM

SpinachEater said:
^yeah like NV driver page.

ATI has it set up as if it would send you to a different driver by having you select the card you have but it just gives you the current driver. It is pretty much pointless to select your video card in that list.

If select an older card through the NV driver page it will take you to an older driver version however.

What you mean when you select anything below the R300 (like R9200 and lower) on the XP page that it takes you to this page;
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeon-prer300-xp...

So seems like they do the same thing, the cutoff point is just different, right? :heink: 
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 4:30:05 AM

I was wondering whyd theyd even have it?
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 4:30:13 AM

Ok, leak all you want... but it would be nice if someone would leak the 8.12 as Vista mobile drivers dang-it !! :fou: 
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 4:42:22 AM

I got my eyes out
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 7:39:07 AM

mactronix said:
Ok so here we have a set of performance drivers aimed squarely at the 4 series, and presumably Vista?
So is it time for those of us who have 3 series cards and running XP to stop updating the Drivers ? I mean if they are concentrating on these new performance features of the 4 series its unlikley that the 3 series or below will benefit, is it?
Your thoughts please
Mactronix

While Im not sure of the performance increases on older cards, any ATI cards using stream processors, or from the 2xxx series onwards will benefit in some way from these drivers. CAL has been updated, and its being used for various things.
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 7:58:22 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Maziar and anyone else who has a x2, it appears the startup bug has been fixed, meaning that both cores read 507Mhz in 2D

thanks but i cant download it :( 
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 11:34:49 AM

@ JDJ

Care to elaborate on "Various things" ?

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 11:42:19 AM

encoding, F@H etc
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 12:11:45 PM

So im assuming that there will be no gaming performance improvement with this untill the devs start using it then ? Any news on ATI's reply to the Nvidia drivers using Quads better ?

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 3:04:31 PM

The other thing to remember is that actually the HD2K series is omitted from the encoding boost notes, and that's likelt due to the single precision limitation. I would wait for the official launch before hoping for anything.

I'm dissapointed, but I was planning on buying in the new year anyways.
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2008 6:25:56 PM

No quad improvements yet. Im wondering if theyre waiting fir Deneb launch, but who knows? Theres improvements, and therell be more coming. Possibly better F@H numbers as well
December 5, 2008 6:43:21 PM

what about ATI stream? Is it enabled in 8.12 RC3?

Does anyone have a beta version of the converter that ATI is planning to distribute? I want to try converting videos!
December 5, 2008 8:23:45 PM

murdoc said:
what about ATI stream? Is it enabled in 8.12 RC3?

Does anyone have a beta version of the converter that ATI is planning to distribute? I want to try converting videos!

I'm curious as to whether the new version of Avivo will be any better as well. The currently available one that has been available for download on ATI's site since the X1K days works pretty well but the user interface for it is god awful.
December 6, 2008 12:52:08 AM

ok I just tried it and it seems pretty good. I was able to convert a 4gb fraps recorded video (2mins long) within 1 min 40 secs.

I've tried to convert a drama video file into psp format. The file is 1.05 gb and lasts for about 45 mins or so. The conversion completed in just 6 mins 42 seconds. Very impressive!

The lacking part of this is the interface but I guess it's simple enough to do its job. It's got a few bugs that it has to work out (screws up when I try to tweak the image quality). Another thing I find stupid about this is that you have to change back into "basic mode" to get it working. This option just doesn't appear in the advanced mode which I tend to side with.
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2008 1:11:15 AM

Good to hear. Maybe the final will have the basic thing fixed. Do you fold? If so, wonder how this helps....
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 6, 2008 7:26:37 AM

Jaydee thanks for the link,i managed to DL it and when it finished i ran the setup and it installed but it seems nothing is installed,my graphic version is the same,i dont know what it installed but i am sure i dont have 8.12 beta
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2008 8:13:36 AM

Well, I just uninstalled them. They had an issue with freezing every day or so. I'll wait for the final release.
!