phnix

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I just recieved my processor, MOBO, and Ram in the mail, and when i put them in my new computer, windows XP Pro loaded up incredibly slow, and then froze. When i press the power down button on the comp, it then goes through the shut-down process in windows and turns off. I installed an Intel E8400, Asus P5Q Pro, and Corsair 4GB 6400 800Mhz ram. The computer already had a 430Watt PSU and was working fine with the previous process/MOBO/Ram. The MOBO was an open-box from Newegg, which makes me lean towards it being the culprit. I ran MEM-Test and it passed just fine. I secured all the connections and then tried installing a fresh copy of XP Home. It made it through the install just fine and loaded up just fine, but now it still runs really slow. It doesn't get to the point of freezing, but it is still terrible. Any help would be very appreciated

Well, first off you should have know you cannot change a motherboard and plug the same old Windows install in an expect it to work. It won't.
But, since you did a completely fresh install, and I am assuming you did indeed do a complete fresh install, not just a repair install of the old installation?
Did you install all the drivers that came with the motherboard?(chipset, LAN, SATA, onboard video and sound if you are using them)There should have been a CD or DVD with all the drivers. If not, you will have to go to the motherboard manufactures website, download and install them.

phnix

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Yes, i did do a fresh install. I did install the chipset, but haven't done the rest of those installs. I will try that today

gatorbill

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
One thing you could try is go into BIOS setup and load the default values for all parameters and ensure that the E8400 is setup correctly. When booting up have you seen that the CPU is running at the full 3GHz ?

Usually when PCs run real slow it's because of a virus or malware program that is making the CPU waste lots of cycles. So you can look at the Task Manager processes when your system is running real slow and see which process is eating up the CPUs cycles. Then try to determine whether this process should be there or not.

One last thing is to make sure that your CPU is being cooled properly. If it isn't then the Intel CPU's slow themselves down so as to not cause damage to the chip. You could monitor what the CPU is doing within windows by running CPU-Z which will show you if it indeed has slowed down.