Legacy chipset drivers

AllynTal

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Where can I get legacy chipset drivers? I'm trying to find legacy drivers for an Intel 915G chipset and I don't seem to be having any luck. Any suggestions?

AllynTal

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I looked there first. I don't see legacy drivers there. . only the newest versions. Did I miss a link to the legacy drivers?

AllynTal1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
The chipset driver was updated for this machine some months back. The latest drivers are 'express' drivers. The system now sees the PCI slots on the mobo as PCI express slots and I can't get the new vid card to perform properly. I wanted to try installing pre-'express' drivers in it to see if I can get the system to see the PCI slot as PCI and not as PCI express.

I don't know what motherboard you have, but I've never heard of an issue where PCI slots were detected as PCI Express slots. Are you sure that the issue isn't with the video card? I didn't know that PCI video cards were still manufactured.

Did you download the latest drivers or the old ones from the Software Archives?

AllynTal

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

The box has this motherboard in it:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&docname=c00300046&dlc=en&lc=en

Yes, PCI cards are still available, but they're not in the stores around me. I had to order this one over the internet. This is the card I have:

http://www.visiontek.com/products/cards/retail/2400PRO_PCI.html

It is definitely a PCI card and not a PCI express card.; and the mobo only has PCI slots. To start off, I installed the drivers that came on the CD with the card. I then updated the drivers to the latest drivers that were listed for XP for that card.

When I run CPUz, it tells me that the graphic interface is PCI express, and the card is giving dismal performance. I am trying to figure out why CPUz and the ATI Catalyst Control Center both think they're looking at a PCI express slot. I know the chipset drivers were updated a few months back so I figure that's where the fubar happened.

The fact that GPU-Z and CCC report it wrong doesn't imply that the system didn't detect it properly - if it didn't, it wouldn't work at all. That card is slow when using a PCIe bus, but running it in a PCI slot will obviously make it even slower. That's why AGP and PCI Express were developed. The integrated GPU should definitely be faster, but it won't support dual monitors.