Sign in with
Your question

New Build - Need Help

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2009 7:14:39 PM

I need help choosing a processor and gpu for my first build.

I am not a hardcore gamer, but want to be able to do what I want without lag on my computer.

Heres what I want out of my computer (mostly by priority)

1) Rip, Encode and Burn DVDs fast and efficiently
2) Surf
3) Media center
4) No lag in multitasking all of the above together

What I was looking at

AMD 64x2 7750 Black edition
ATI HD 4850
4 gigs ram or more
64 bit vista or windows 7 when it is released
SATA hard drives (maybe a small SSD too)

What I have now
Intel Celeron 2.93 ghz single
256mb ram
intergrated graphics
*slow to do anything (about an hour and half to burn dvds - basically runs my computer under full load whole time - cant do anything else )*

Budget is around 5-700 before gpu

So help me out guys. Thanks

More about : build

a c 159 à CPUs
February 2, 2009 7:35:47 PM

In your case, I recommend a dell vostro 220 with e7300 cpu. Do a "dell" search at fatwallet.com. The standard dell power supply will work with a mid range video card, such as the 3650. The system is only $399 with monitor. Buy the video card separately and install it yourself. Newegg has a good selection of new and open box video cards.
February 2, 2009 7:51:15 PM

Im going to build this myself.
Related resources
February 2, 2009 8:42:49 PM

jleevitt said:

What I was looking at

AMD 64x2 7750 Black edition
ATI HD 4850
4 gigs ram or more
64 bit vista or windows 7 when it is released
SATA hard drives (maybe a small SSD too)

What I have now
Intel Celeron 2.93 ghz single
256mb ram
intergrated graphics
*slow to do anything (about an hour and half to burn dvds - basically runs my computer under full load whole time - cant do anything else )*

Budget is around 5-700 before gpu

Here is what I'm thinking:

AMD 64x2 7750 Black edition - good choice since its fast and cheap
ATI HD 4850 - no opinion on this since I haven't checked out that card, but pretty much everything is going to be WAY faster than your current system's integrated graphics.
4 gigs ram or more - get like 2 sticks of 2gig ram so it will be cheap and in the future you can upgrade (remember don't think your never gonna use all 4gigs either because a lot of people never thought we'd all use more than 640k of ram.
64 bit vista or windows 7 when it is released - If your gonna be building this system soon go ahead and go for 64 vista and you can always buy the upgrade to windows 7 later and for cheaper than the full version.
SATA hard drives (maybe a small SSD too) - SSDs are getting cheaper and if you got one with just enough space for the operating system and maybe a few programs then it would be great. Then just one SATA drive to hold stuff. If you do that, don't worry about setting up anything special up for the hard drive like raid or anything like that since you won't be doing mega gaming and the speed of drives nowadays compared to your old system will be amazing anyways.
February 2, 2009 9:26:04 PM

Your build seems fine, it is very similar to mine, i am getting a 7750 kuma (i don't really plan on over clocking but it does have better cache memory than the amd x2 6000), the ATI 4850 is a very solid video card and you should not have to deal with any lag in any games moreover it makes a for a great video card for home theater systems (i am probably going to get it to,although i might start with the 4670 to save money and upgrade at my own time) get two sticks or ddr2 1066 ram in dual channel (each stick will carry 2gb there are good deals on new egg for that) as far as your hard drive goes pretty much almost every hard drive out there today is sata so that is a non issue, i found some really good deals on new egg and best buy for 500 gb and 640 gb harddrives which should be more than enough for your needs.....as far as operating systems go vista 64 bit will be perfect, i am assuming you will be building this computer whithin the next few months, if you plan on waiting and taking your time then definitely go with seven since it is lighter and much less demanding than vista therefore leaving more space and ram for your computer to do other things. I am assuming you also have you case,fans and psu already figured out so i am sure you will end up with a nice build.

PS about the 7750 kuma, DO NOT use the stock heat sink, the cpu gets hot even on stock speed, get something better on new egg or tiger direct to replace the stock heat sink.

For motherboards i strongly reccomend ASrock it works very well with the cpu and gives you a lot of room for future upgrades. get the 780G motherboards.
a c 159 à CPUs
February 2, 2009 10:34:12 PM

Newegg has a foxconn 780g board rated for am3 cpus. It's only $79.99 and has hdmi support. Foxconn is not a great overclockers' board, but I don't see that among your priorities.
February 3, 2009 3:35:51 PM

the only thing i might do in overclocking is overclock it up to 6000 speeds (3.1-3.2) because every review I have read has said that you can easily bump it up by changing the multplier with no voltage changes on air cooling to get that speed. So I will probably check it out at some point, but my priority is just getting it built and working - i will mess with that later .
!