OMG new Case "Unbelievable"

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I just cant wait to get the guts in there later this month.

Core i7 920
6g ram
1 4850x2, another later (tax time)
1000 watt psu (not sure which one yet)
1x ssd for os and 4tb for storage
1x dvd burner. Dont need blu ray.
Windows home srever 8 or vista ultimate.

And I want to throw a custom paint theme on later also, just havent decided what.

G

I'm going to get this case for a custom build i'm going to do, then mod it to fit like 3 radiators in it... :D

btw where did you get it for so cheap... lowest i can find it new is 160-ish

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I have the same case with a different color scheme, and I have yet to find anything I don't like about it. Except I paid over $200 for mine :( . I got the Cosmos-S and I hooked mine up to my HDTV as well. Great cable routing options inside, all the room you could ask for, and attractive enough on the outside to be displayed in my living room. In short, I am a fan.

Enjoy!

G

ugh... i hate the fact prices change so often :(

you have to check constantly for those sweet deals

your diligence paid off :D

G

Is the motherboard tray metal or plastic?

I'm thinking about cutting it with a dremel to provide better cable management also is the HDD cage attached like its welded to the case and the bottom of the 5.5 " bays... or is it riveted?

hehe sorry to hi-jack thread

EDIT: w00t first post ever to be exactly on the second

also saw you wanted to add a SSD to the mix... don't get an OCZ core SSD, because well... look up ocz core freeze on google... its not pretty...

has lots of write issues... and I found out about a week after i purchased mine that the price was so cheap... was because they were going to launch a revised copy... but it wasn't announced to consumers... was pretty pissed that i couldn't swap for the newer ones but... o well so life goes on with crappy customer service... and my poor lack of research on this specific drive

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I've had that case for over a year now and its great but the case i'm looking forward to is the Cooler Master ATCS 840, has anyone seen it?

3lvis

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

From what Ive read its DDR3 1.65v or less. The ram and cpu are linked, so you can't go over 1.65v or you fry your cpu.

Nice looking case grats on your great deal.....too bad those handles are plastic ...They looked like they were metal...but then that would have added a bunch of weight to the case, which is kinda self defeating when you consider that the handles are made to help lug the case around.

Any I found an interesting overclocking article about the 920 ....looks like you can get them up to 4.0 ghz.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/1

Mouth waters thinking about i7 920's.

3lvis

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Ya i7 will be a big improvement for me. I do alot of winrar, quickpar, and video conversions.

I am currently running e8400 @4.05 4G DDR2 ram @900 2x WD 640 blue in raid 0, ATI 467, windows Vista Ultimate. I'm gonna give this one to my 8 year old son, and keep the i7 for home, and use for a server for video to two more HTPCs around the house.

G

One of the few people who will immediately benefit from core i7

:D

otherwise i'd wait a little bit and watch prices settle a little bit

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Theres already some i7 920s and x58 mobos on Ebay, and mircosoft is doing a 25% cash back program on ebay right now, and you can use it up to 12x. So theres a potential to get some major savings. If only I did't have bills this week.

It might be christmas before I get it totally finished, but I get a $3000 xmas bonus from work, so whatever I dont got by then, I will have Santa bring me.

DFGum

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
I believe its 6 times for the ebay cashback :p
And yeah, if you can find people who will overnight and not take a month to ship ebay is some great deals with that. Ill get my video card and cpu there for sure. Not sure what else.

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007

Wow nice bonus! I don't suppose your company is hiring right now eh? :D

Let me know what kind of results you get when you raid those SSDs. I have been considering those for a while for an o/s array, but I have been put off by the price so far. I think I will pass on the current generation of i7 and just pick up a nice penryn quad when the prices start to drop on them. Maybe when i7 hits 32nm they will add more cache, and gaming performance will see a bigger boost.

*edited for clarification

G

You think i'll get one? I'm like anti core i7 right now as it brings nothing to the table FOR ME

so yes i'll be waiting until ATLEAST westmere... hopefully sandybridge or sandybridge equivalent from AMD if i'm good :D