Need advice on AM3 Heatsink/fan

sr001

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
For my new build I decided on this combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.353111

Came to 225 bucks saving the extra 20 with the combo deal, only thing is processor is an OEM so it obviously doesnt come with anything. Im looking for a more budget minded heatsink/fan as im on a pretty tight budget and still have to buy the ram hdd cd/dvd player ect. Put it this way, every penny means alot to me right now :) I do want to do some mild overclocking with that processor, probably going to shoot for 3.1 3.2 ghz, im wondering if anyone knows anything about this heatsink, its cheap only 24 bucks, has some solid reviews, ive just never bought anything or really even heard anything from titan before. Im also wondering if im going to have any kind of clearance problems as this thing seems huge. Im using an antec 300 illusion case. Thanks all! Here is the link to the heatsink.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835192017

Solution

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Solution

sr001

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Both of those do appear to be respectable HSF's, and I actually did take a look at both of them, the price before rebates (we all know the problems those sometimes cause) of the Titan was what attracted me. Looks like that hyper 212 would be roughly 10 bucks more then the titan. Its one of those situations where if I get the titan and it really is a great deal it would be awesome! But for 10 bucks more I could go with the proven performance of either one of those 2. What to do what to do.

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Love, love, love my Hyper 212+! It does a great job cooling my Phenom 955, and the flexibility of adding a second fan easily is icing on the cake. But those Core Contact Freezer's are also excellent.

However, I'd first double check to make sure the dimensions of your case will accommodate these tower heatsinks. Plus, the rebate on the Core Contact is pretty good; rebates are a pain, but if you go through the motions, and just double check everything, it's worth it.

sr001

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Ive seen some people who reviewed the antec 300 who put some huuuuge HSF's in them so I dont think that would end up being an issue after I did look up the case again. It is over 8" wide so it should be ok. Im at a crossroad here. lol.

sr001

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

I have a xigmatec in my old p4 and it has done wonders for me, but when I looked at the specifications of that particular model its not showing compatablility with AM3, would this still fit the board?

Compatibility All Intel Socket 775 CPU
Core 2 Extreme / Quad / Duo
Pentium Extreme Edition / D
Celeron D
All AMD Socket AM2 / 754 / 939 / 940 CPU
Athlon 64 / FX / X2 / Opteron / Sempron

sr001

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009

Oh, so in theory I could really use any AM2 HSF's as well?

gkorjax

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I just put a Hyper 212+ in my new 690 II case , and I must say , it is an incredible feeling to have such a capable hsf! Such bang for your buck. If you're close to a microcenter, I got mine there for 25 bucks.

Seventeen degrees cooler under load, than the stock fan...with my phenom 2 x2 550.

I'd check to make sure it fits...my case looked like it was going to be sorta close...but then I saw I had a 1/2 or so to spare...

randomkid

Distinguished
I have an unlocked X3 720BE ( or should I say X4 ) cooled by a Xigmatek SD-964.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233014
The fact is that it is not coping with the heat if I OC heavily with the unlocked core. Even with a 2nd 92mm Fan running at 5000rpm can not stop my CPU reaching as high as 61*C in Prime95 when OC to 3.6Ghz.

Thus, If you will OC heavily, I think a $20 HSF ( mostly 92mm ) just wont fit... add a little more budget and get the HSF that goes with 120mm fans ( just make sure it will fit your case ).

But if you will just OC say up to 3.4Ghz. Then I think it will run just fine even with just the stock fan. It is very easy to install for an AM3/AM2 CPU. If you run on 3 cores only, then I would say the Xigmatek SD-964 is more than enough.

Just one other thng to keep in mind - Since that CPU is an OEM version it has no warranty !! - AMD leaves the warranty up to the OEM and Newegg does not offer any warranty on it after the short return period so you might want to consider that if you have not ordered it yet (might be worth paying a little more for a regular retail version so you get the 3 year warranty)

sr001

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Very good info guys, thanks for all your help. I have decided to spend the few extra dollars and go with the hyper 212. It should suit my needs very fine.

@JDFan - Wow! I completely overlooked that detail, thanks for bringing that up! Might go with the athlon x3 440 combo now instead. Good thing I waited to post my order till I got up to read this stuff :)

Figured you might not have thought of that ! I bought my 720 while they had the retail version that included a heatsink and fan that included the 3 year AMD warranty and shortly after was going to order another one for another system but they had changed to just the OEM version, I was going to order it but when I added it to the cart it listed it as covered only by thier CPU replacement only policy meaning it can only be exchanged and since they conveniently did not mention any warranty info in the specs I called to find out and was informed that it only carries the replacement warranty and there is no factory warranty from AMD since it is an OEM product which made me decide to order a boxed version elsewhere (though it is hard to find now !) so figured others may not think about that when ordering also ( Still at $100 it might be worth the chance since if it works when installed it will most likely not have problems but I felt it was worth spending a bit more to get the warranty coverage.