E4400 2.0Ghz
Gainward GTS250 1GB
2GB 667 Kingston Ram
250GB WD HD
Gigabyte 946GMX-S2

EIST - off
Memory protect - off
Memory - unlocked and running at 800 - memtest results perfect

Okay the problem, I recently upgraded my graphics card from the EVGA 8800GT 512MB to the Gainward GTS250 1GB, after installing it and starting the computer the computer goes into a endless restarting cycle barely reaching the next boot screen. I cleared the CMOS and everything worked fine, however, now i cant overclock , each time i try to overclock it back to 2.6Ghz and goes into the loop again :heink: 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated..

a c 86 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2010 3:32:25 AM

Power? The GTS250 uses more power, as would the overclock. If you have a poor or failing PSU, it won't have the juice to boot. New PSU would fix this, make sure its a good one.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2010 3:40:03 AM

More voltage.
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2010 10:49:12 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys, The things is I have more then enough power to handle the card and the overclock - Its a 650WATT antec of some kind, very heavy PSU I must add.

I set the PCI-E Freq to 100MHZ and turned off all uneeded functions. The Voltage for my orignal overclock did not even need to be adjusted..

I got windows 7 too and I scored 5.1 in the Test

help me guys! :pt1cable: 

Thanks

m
l
March 8, 2010 10:49:28 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys, The thing is I have more then enough power to handle the card and the overclock - Its a 650WATT antec of some kind, very heavy PSU I must add.

I set the PCI-E Freq to 100MHZ and turned off all uneeded functions. The Voltage for my orignal overclock did not even need to be adjusted..

I got windows 7 too and I scored 5.1 in the Test

help me guys! :pt1cable: 

Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2010 11:16:17 PM

So the only change you make is the graphics card and then the system starts crashing.... While a 650W PSU *MAY* be able to power it, it also depends upon how much current is supplied for each voltage, what lines you are physically plugging in and using and whether the psu is really delivering that specified power.

When you say you set the PCIe freq to 100MHz I am worried you have other things still overclocked?

Get everything back to defaults and start to work your way back up - and then realize you probably have a psu problem...
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 9, 2010 12:11:29 AM

You didn't list PSU, I assumed you were using an old/junk one. Not a lot of ideas left here. Can you overclock again with the 8800GT? Bios update for the mobo?
m
l

Best solution

March 9, 2010 12:24:29 AM

Doesn't sound like power to me, what you've got listed should be below 400w according to eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5. I increased core volts to 1.35, added 3 fans, 4 usb devices, 2 optical drives. Even if it is a terrible psu, which it isnt, it shouldn't have a drop in power that much.

I would update BIOS as an option once you have tried everything else. Even if you are up to date you may want to reinstall BIOS anyway.

I assume temps aren't going too high to cause restart? Boot device is set properly in BIOS to your hard drive?

Can you go to msconfig, set to boot in safe mode, restart, go into BIOS do a mild oc of 2.3ghz or something and see if it boots into windows then?

Have you checked your memory? Both sticks show up in BIOS and windows?

Might want to send gigabyte tech support an email to see if issues are known with this card.
March 10, 2010 10:47:23 PM

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate your generousity. The PSU is only 2 months old, a 650WATT its black and the railing on all of them are 12V, the brand I think is Powercase or something, but 8800GT did not have a problem with my overclock, only when I upgraded it did not boot up. I will try out your suggestions and see if i can find a fix.

Thanks guys, i will keep you updated. :) 
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 11, 2010 3:06:18 AM

Do you have a powercase or an Antec?
m
l
March 18, 2010 7:58:27 AM

Best answer selected by wiggy420.
m
l