Last response: in Overclocking
March 8, 2010 7:39:07 AM

Hello, I have built my first pc, this is the spec:
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G Socket AM3
Arctic Power 700W PSU
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 HyperX Memory
Sapphire HD 4870 512MB GDDR5

I have tried enabling unleashing mode, but my system just crashes and wont boot, not even 3 core so Im stuck with dual core. But im happy enough with that really as thats what I paid for, never expected a quad core for £65 but thought it was worth a chance. If anyone has any advice for extra things to try other than just clicking enable unleashing mode please let me know and I will try, I have already updated to latest bios

I would however like to overclock the CPU and gain some extra power if possible, however I dont have any previous overclocking knowledge.

Please can someone tell me how to go about overclocking this cpu on this board, if required I am willing to upgrade from standard stock cpu cooler, I believe the standard one is poor so its probably a good idea anyway?

All help and advice is much appreciated Thank You
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
March 8, 2010 4:10:04 PM

Before trying any overclocking I recommend getting a decent air cooler over the retail HS. Check Frostytech.com for the best heatsinks. In the $40 range I like the BTF 90 or the Xigmatek 1283.

As far as unlocking goes, I understand some folks are having success by upping the voltage slightly on the northbridge, and lowering the multi or underclocking the northbridge speed in bios. Then, unlock the cores and attempt to boot into windows. If you can't boot in, you prolly can't unlock. If you can get into windows, use AOD to raise the multi back to normal and you should be set.

Overclocking a black edition CPU is as easy as changing the multiplier. The reference clock (which may be referred to as Front Side Bus) is set at 200Mhz X 15.5 multiplier to achieve 3.1 Ghz. Try setting to 16X first and booting into windows, then step up in .5 multi increments.
Alternatively, use AMD Overdrive to increase the multi on the cpu a half step at a time and run the stability test after each change. Keep a sharp eye on temps as you increase processor speed.

Here's a link:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_15337_15354_15359,00.h...
!