Im about 7 nmiles from a mountain top with wifi!

bigal45

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Hello all, My question is simple i think. What do i need to receive and send wifi from my house to a mountain top thats about 7 miles away . Im on a desktop, I plan to build a parabolic bi quad for the outside of house that the only place i get a signal on a wifi finder is about 75ft from the house i get full signal with 4 leds all lit up there. i need a list of all things i really need to make this work all we can get here is dialup were going nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!! :cry:

G

Check out AIR802 They sell high powered outdoor units and high gain antennas that may close the link to mountain top wifi point. You could buy a long cable and put an antenna on a mast on your roof or visit this site ://www.air802.com/powerful-500mw-outdoor-access-point-router-bridge-2.4-ghz.html

bigal45

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
thanks for the info so far. my biggest worry is that i will spend alot of money to find out that its not a wifi hotspot but a wireless provider in which i know uses that mountain top but they want even come to my place and see if i can get setup with them . but im still gonna try. i will let you guys know how its going as i continue this qwest. but keep the ideas coming they are appreciated.

G

If your able to get a signal with your WiFi finder 75 ft. from your house coming from the mountain, then take a laptop with wifi built in and try to connect to the access point from that location. If it works out, just hook up a outdoor wifi radio hooked to a bi-quad, flat panel, or other kind of directional antenna, and run a very longgggg USB cable back to your house (to avoid signal loss in the coax). You should be fine.

laters ~ Bill