Is there a way that I can reboot to the same windows as be..

networm

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2005
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi all,

My windows XP Pro frequently needs to be rebooted in order to clear some
memory out.

For example, if I read a 1000 pages Acrobat PDF file, then it is a pain in
the neck. After a while, all my applications become slow in responding ...

I have to reboot.

But I also have several remote desktop sessions, and 10+ IE/Firefox browser
windows, and online forums that I have logged in,

I don't want to lose all these opened jobs/sessions...

Is there a way that I can reboot and automatically get back to these
sessions? (Say, at least my 10+ browser windows, etc. )?

Windows XP Pro just needs to save these and then reload when it reboots...

Thanks a lot!

"networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>My windows XP Pro frequently needs to be rebooted in order to clear some
>memory out.
>
>For example, if I read a 1000 pages Acrobat PDF file, then it is a pain in
>the neck. After a while, all my applications become slow in responding ...
>
>I have to reboot.
>
>But I also have several remote desktop sessions, and 10+ IE/Firefox browser
>windows, and online forums that I have logged in,
>
>I don't want to lose all these opened jobs/sessions...
>
>Is there a way that I can reboot and automatically get back to these
>sessions? (Say, at least my 10+ browser windows, etc. )?
>
>Windows XP Pro just needs to save these and then reload when it reboots...
>
>Thanks a lot!

There is something else causing your problems. It is not memory
usage.

A 1,000 page PDF file is a massive document, and my first suspicion
would be to question the ability of Acrobat Reader to properly handle
a file of that size.

Are you still experiencing problems after closing Acrobat Reader?

Try doing some diagnostic work with Windows Task Manager.

Start by bringing up Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete; then go
to the Processes tab.

In the Processes tab click twice on the CPU column header to sort the
list into descending order based on CPU usage. The top item should be
the "system idle" process, a placeholder that counts how much of the
time the CPU has nothing to do, and it should be in the high 90
percent range. Make a list of all of the processes that are using
more than 1% of the CPUs time and post that inforamtion back here.

Next go to the Mem Usage column and again click twice on that column
header to sort the list into descending order by Memory Usage. Make a
list of the top ten items on the list and their memory usage, and post
that information back here.

That should show us what is actually going astry with your syste
Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Did you try one of the so called RAM/Memopry managers? They are supposed to
flush your RAM - you wouldn't need to reboot. Also, what is you page file
size and how much RAM you have?
Michael
"networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My windows XP Pro frequently needs to be rebooted in order to clear some
> memory out.
>
> For example, if I read a 1000 pages Acrobat PDF file, then it is a pain in
> the neck. After a while, all my applications become slow in responding ...
>
> I have to reboot.
>
> But I also have several remote desktop sessions, and 10+ IE/Firefox
> browser windows, and online forums that I have logged in,
>
> I don't want to lose all these opened jobs/sessions...
>
> Is there a way that I can reboot and automatically get back to these
> sessions? (Say, at least my 10+ browser windows, etc. )?
>
> Windows XP Pro just needs to save these and then reload when it reboots...
>
> Thanks a lot!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Get this free program
CCLEANER : http://www.ccleaner.com/

This will clean all your indexing, temp cache etc. Go into "OPTIONS" and
allow for clean on boot. You can also open the program and manually clean
as well.

"Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
> Did you try one of the so called RAM/Memopry managers? They are supposed
> to flush your RAM - you wouldn't need to reboot. Also, what is you page
> file size and how much RAM you have?
> Michael
> "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My windows XP Pro frequently needs to be rebooted in order to clear some
>> memory out.
>>
>> For example, if I read a 1000 pages Acrobat PDF file, then it is a pain
>> in the neck. After a while, all my applications become slow in responding
>>
>> I have to reboot.
>>
>> But I also have several remote desktop sessions, and 10+ IE/Firefox
>> browser windows, and online forums that I have logged in,
>>
>> I don't want to lose all these opened jobs/sessions...
>>
>> Is there a way that I can reboot and automatically get back to these
>> sessions? (Say, at least my 10+ browser windows, etc. )?
>>
>> Windows XP Pro just needs to save these and then reload when it
>> reboots...
>>
>> Thanks a lot!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

http://www.analogx.com/welcome.htm and get maxmem or whatever they call it.
I watches memory usage and releases it back to the operating system on
demand or automatically and saves the reboot.

"Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
> Did you try one of the so called RAM/Memopry managers? They are supposed
> to flush your RAM - you wouldn't need to reboot. Also, what is you page
> file size and how much RAM you have?
> Michael
> "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My windows XP Pro frequently needs to be rebooted in order to clear some
>> memory out.
>>
>> For example, if I read a 1000 pages Acrobat PDF file, then it is a pain
>> in the neck. After a while, all my applications become slow in responding
>>
>> I have to reboot.
>>
>> But I also have several remote desktop sessions, and 10+ IE/Firefox
>> browser windows, and online forums that I have logged in,
>>
>> I don't want to lose all these opened jobs/sessions...
>>
>> Is there a way that I can reboot and automatically get back to these
>> sessions? (Say, at least my 10+ browser windows, etc. )?
>>
>> Windows XP Pro just needs to save these and then reload when it
>> reboots...
>>
>> Thanks a lot!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In fact, I agree with you...
>
>I have tried those system mechanic and other stuff,
>
>they somehow does not play nicely with other software and OS...
>
>I guess they work too agressively...
>
>I just need something that let me resume my work after rebooting...
>
>more thoughts?

See my response to your original posting.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hello networm,

Monday, September 19, 2005, 3:44:32 AM, you wrote:

> My windows XP Pro frequently needs to be rebooted in order to clear some
> memory out.

> For example, if I read a 1000 pages Acrobat PDF file, then it is a pain in
> the neck. After a while, all my applications become slow in responding ...

> I have to reboot.

> But I also have several remote desktop sessions, and 10+ IE/Firefox browser
> windows, and online forums that I have logged in,

> I don't want to lose all these opened jobs/sessions...

> Is there a way that I can reboot and automatically get back to these
> sessions? (Say, at least my 10+ browser windows, etc. )?

> Windows XP Pro just needs to save these and then reload when it reboots...

> Thanks a lot!"

Did you optimise the pdf document (If using Adobe Acrobat)? It might help!

Having little memory? Paging parts of the kernel on a machine with less than
recomended memorysize using a lot of open applications could be another
troublepoint.

Having insufficent paging memory is another. Increase it and defragment it.

Clean up the temporary files.

Using one program at a time, WILL help indeed!

--
have a nice day,
Tom Runesson

E fructu arbor cognoscitur