DDR2 1Gx2 Kit PC2
Power Supply Antec 1000W
DVDRW Pioneer DVR-216DBK 20X *2 of these*
Windows Vista Ultimate OEM 32Bit
Radeon HD4850 512M
Intel Quad Core 9550
Antec P180

now one problem...

My friend tells me that the Computer won't recognize the 1TB HDD and now now I'm pissed. Also I installed the vista and now it won't work for me. What do i do to fix this? cuz I am getting getting really sad cuz i have no idea how to do this...

Also it doesn't see that i have 8 gigs of ram...it shows *3.29 Gigs* and i was like wtf....how do i fix this? and do u think canada computers can possibly fix this?

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
uh, firstly, you don't have 8 gigs of ram, according to your post; it says you only have 2:
DDR2 1Gx2 Kit PC2

1GB x 2 is 2GB
if you do however have 8 gigs, note that you need the 64-bit Vista, not the 32-bit. 32-bit, as you have noticed, will only recognize about 3.25GB of space.

Hard drives are not my area of expertise, unfortunately.

slomo4sho

Distinguished
First thing I would do is read the motherboard & hard drive manuals and then make sure the jumpers on the hard drive match the specs in the manuals. Also make sure the cables are plugged in correctly(including power!)

Start with this basic trouble shooting first, if these issues don't resolve the issue then you might either have a doa drive or there could be at least a half dozen other problems :(

BTW, wolfseeker is correct. You will need to get Vista 64 to utilize all 8 gigs of ram.

tanger

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
How much of the hard drive does it recognize? It will be less than 1000 GB of space, that will be true for any HD.

69ers

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
No it doesn't see any TB like it shows up but then i get an error... T.T but yeah.

also i said that wrong DDR2 1Gx2 Kit PC2 = DDR 2Gx2 kit PC2

damn so i need Vista 64 bit? so can i ask microsoft for them to upgrade me to Vista 64 bit???

Your mother board may not be able to recognize the 1TB drive.
Check to see if there is a BIOS update for it.
A 32 bit OS can address 4 gig of memory, this includes all the memory in your system, such as the memory on your video card, hard drive cache memory, CPU cache memory, etc. These are assigned address space first, and what ever is left over after that from 4 gig is what RAM you have for use.
You cannot "upgrade" from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.
You must purchase the full version of Vista 64, and start over from scratch with a bare install.

69ers

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Damn it ! ... cuz i just installed Vista 32 bit on my HDD *raptor* can i take it off somehow? and lastly if i got a pirated version think it would work? with all updates and all *I'm sorry for asking that*

Vista 64, will format and wipe the previous installation off of your drive when you do the install.

We do not endorse or find it acceptable to use pirated software!

But, unless you really need all of the memory, there is no reason to go 64 bit......it will work fine the way it is, just cannot use all of your memory.

69ers

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Cuz when i use photoshop and all the other proggies i *lag* and sit still for like 1 minute till i can move on the 4 gig *yes video editing/photo editing* XD but yeah darn! I'll find a good copy for cheap somewhere now hmm T.T but yeah let's see...do u recommend i get a DIFFERENT mobo?

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Microsoft will send you a 64 bit disk for the cost of shipping and the disk $10-$15. You do not need to purchase another copy as previously posted (unless there is some weird circumstances that i'm not aware of)

^ That is true. But they send you a copy of the 64 bit version matching the 32 bit version you purchased. If you bought a full version of Vista 32, then you are good. They will send you a full version of Vista 64.
If you bought the upgrade version, they will send an upgrade disk of Vista 64.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Install vista with only 2 GB of ram installed.
Make sure the drive is seen in bios, if bios does not see the drive, make sure the drive controller that the drive is plugged into is enabled and set to function as an IDE drive.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007

I thought Microsoft would send you a copy of Vista 64 only if you bought the retail version of Vista 32. I'm not sure if they do that when you buy the OEM version.

69ers

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
LMAO lol so how do i contact them to get this i have Ult Vista 32 Bit so yeah i hope they can do it , and also i don't want to validate the vista... so yeah for a reason cuz if they don't upgrade i can't return the OS to the place i bought cuz it's "used" so yeah T.T at dilemma now T.T