Sign in with
Your question

GA-EP45T-UD3P boots up twice and doesn't recognize HD 4650 VGA

Last response: in Motherboards
March 8, 2009 11:14:05 PM

I built a system with GA-EP45T-UD3P mobo and everything boot up fine but something just seem a little weird. Whenever I restart or shut down to power up, the mobo always shuts off after 3 secs and then restart by itself. I'm not sure if this is suppose to happen with this mobo. Another thing is the mobo doesn't recognize XFX HD 4650 graphic card. I installed the latest Catalyst driver 9.2 from ATI web site and the system shows it's a Radeon X1650 graphic adapter. Can someone shed some light on this issue?

My setup consists of the following:
Q8200 2.33 Ghz Quad Core
GA-EP45T-UD3P mobo
2x2G Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz modules
Antec Neo 500W PSU

BTW, I didn't OC anything yet. BIOS is F6A version with default fail safe settings.
March 9, 2009 6:30:07 AM

Anyone with similar problems?

I've read a lot about boot cycling without passing POST. But my system boots up fine into windows xp. I haven't come across motherboard not recognizing correct video card driver. I need some help please
March 10, 2009 2:36:47 AM

If you have another pc consider downloading latest bios and uploading it. The issue sounds like a bios issue if the mainboard is not recognizing the video card. good luck
Related resources
March 11, 2009 1:02:48 AM

Does Q-Flash and @BIOS work differently when updating the BIOS? I upgraded BIOS from F2 to F6A using @BIOS in windows.

Another weird problem. The motherboard is picking up HD4650 but after latest Catalyst driver the system displays Radeon X1650 as the adapter used. My only assumption is that XFX Force slapped on the old GPU onto the HD4650 card and sold it as HD4650. This is false advertisement.
March 11, 2009 1:33:16 AM

vagabondo said:
Does Q-Flash and @BIOS work differently when updating the BIOS? I upgraded BIOS from F2 to F6A using @BIOS in windows.

Another weird problem. The motherboard is picking up HD4650 but after latest Catalyst driver the system displays Radeon X1650 as the adapter used. My only assumption is that XFX Force slapped on the old GPU onto the HD4650 card and sold it as HD4650. This is false advertisement.

When I upgraded using @BIOS I got the latest BIOS update from Gigabyte. The only difference is that one updates using the Windows Interface and the other booting up with a floppy and through a command line interface. In the end you end up with the same BIOS update it is just a lot faster if windows is up and working using @ BIOS.
March 11, 2009 4:57:54 PM

Thanks for the help hvillanueva.

I changed to Antec P190 w/ 1200W from a friend and that fixed the double boot/power cycle problem.

About the video card, I think XFX tried to cheat or mistakenly used older chipset X1650 and rename the card to HD 4650. I tried uninstall and reinstall the latest driver from ATI's web site and still the same read out. Last night I have a new problem. The display starts to flicker every once in a while. After first the monitor turns off and on every 10-15 mins or so. But later it just randomly flicker off and on while idling at desktop with minimal usage. This leads to me think that it's a bad card from xfx which im returning after MSI HD 4850 comes in the mail today. I will keep you posted on how the new card performs.
March 11, 2009 11:41:28 PM

I took my radeon video card out last evening and installed an Nvidia 9400 and the freezing issues seemed to have been resolved. I placed my radeon video card in my Dell computer and no issue at all. The issue obviously is a software issue maybe related to the HD Audio software that comes with the radeon card. I uninstalled it in my Dell and the error message that was popping up disappeared.

I would recommend that you try a different video card, or uninstall the HD Audio that comes with the video card.
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 12, 2009 2:41:02 PM

Just a note - avoid using @BIOS to update your BIOS - Q_Flash is much safer, and if @BIOS 'chokes' during a flash, your MOBO is 'bricked', i.e., you can use it to prop a door open, 'cause it certainly will not be a computer anymore...
!