General solid stat HD question

Hi,
I'm starting to do some upgrading to my PC. While this is probably the last thing I'll upgrade, what I'm considering is getting a solid state HD pretty much strictly for Win 7. What I don't know is if this is really worthwhile. I realise it will help with boot times but then I figure there's a lot of other windows related stuff that needs to be loaded up. I also mostly use my computer for gaming so then there's another possible issue. And finally, all the little apps and whatnot - media players, game launching apps like Steam, audio devices etc. I'm just not sure what would benefit most from being on the SSHD. The prices are quite high compared to normal HDDs so I'd want to keep it to a minimum. I guess my question is really just concerning segregation of files - what should go where and how much extra space is recommended for future service packs and that sort of thing? I generally have it in mind to put all games and 3rd party stuff on my current HDD and restrict the SSHD to Win 7, maybe Norton Antivirus. Do any programs mess up or run poorly if they're on a separate HD from Windows?

Sorry for the somewhat convoluted paragraph, I'm just a bit inexperienced in this stuff. Thanks for any help :)

factation

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I just replaced a mechanical hard drive with a SSHD in my HP 17" laptop. I love it! No noise, much less heat and everything works faster. In addition it forced me to clean up my files because I wanted to purchase a realistically smaller SSHD due to the expense.
I think that most of the computers, for personal use, looking forward, will come with SSHD as original equipment. Knowing what I know at this time, I would not buy anything else. Using Windows Home 7 & Internet Explorer 8. Factation.

factation

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Wolfram 23,

What made you purchase those specific SSHD,s? Was it price, reviews, or other considerations? Thanks, Factation

A little of everything. I got the Intel X25M around June last year. There were a few other options around, but the Intel drive had a good price and solid performance in all areas.

The Corsair I bought last fall. It was on sale, like $80 off, and in benchmarks it is easily one of the fastest 120gb drives you could get.