Sign in with
Your question

E8600 or Phenom 2 940 for gaming

Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2009 11:55:01 AM

Hey guys, long time lurker here,

I know this is a bit of dangerous topic to bring up as there has been alot of conflict...
But what is best at present for gaming requirements for the next two years?

*Ducks to avoid flaming*

It will be running along side:
896MB GEFORCE GTX260
4GB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz
700W power supply at 87% reliability

The aim here is to build a rig that will perform well at present, then in a years time to add a 2nd GPU and an extra 4 gb of ram, and in all likely hood overclocking the CPU slightly.

Ive seen alot of forum threads with varying outcomes. But for gaming alone, what will be more appropriate in the long run?

The E8600 boasts an impressive 3.3 clockspeed and 1333 bus
The Phenom 940 comes in at a cs of 3.0 and a 8mb cache....

February 3, 2009 1:53:45 PM

Hmm it does seem quite impressive, but it was solely based upon crossfire capability.
What Im after here is what would be better for gameplay in general as the sli/crossfire will be as a extension to the machines life instead of being used outright
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2009 1:55:50 PM

Potentially pretty close. Worth checking out reviews and benchmarks for the specific games you want to play.
February 3, 2009 2:09:45 PM

Well after much digging about...I have to tell you the votes still out on whats better:

Alot of the review sites get slanted as quite bias, and usually unreliable for credibility.
That said anyone who comes across this thread and just wants some reassurance that dual core is for them:

Behold:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_core_2_duo_e8...

thanks for the help guys. Think im going to go for the E8600 at the moment. It produces excellent results and begs to be over clocked to abour 4.0ghz.... as for the future.... I do see dual cores being outdated, unless the Nehalem release produces something spectacular, but then il be looking at upgrading in a few years.
February 3, 2009 2:20:44 PM

Sorry double post.....

Grrr zipzoomflyhigh your swaying me Now :p 
I did see it was competing quite well against the I7, but its the 3.0 cores that worry me. even overlcocked your not going to get more then 3.4 out of them. Thing that makes me so apprehensive about quads are their low clock speeds. I know clock speeds isnt everything, but it does add an extra kick.
Also the dual core on firing squad was against the previous phenoms so ok I admit it...votes stil out atm
February 3, 2009 2:52:56 PM

It would take a beast of a game (and GPU setup) to bottleneck a 3.4 Phenom. 3.8 is a possible overclock
February 3, 2009 3:04:17 PM

Uhm... Phenom II 940 is known to overclock easily to 3.4ghz by only increasing the multiplier and a little voltage. Games are starting to utilize 4 cores and the difference would be great compared to a dual core. Plus you could put in a Phenom II AM3 CPU in your current AM2+ motherboard if there is a bios for it so the upgrading path is easier.
February 4, 2009 6:38:10 AM

OK...I'm Sold :)  Cheers guys, phenom it is
February 4, 2009 11:56:16 AM

@DS86

Let me help you sleep better tonite.

I have PII940@3.5ghz at default voltage and stock cooler (the cooler/heatsink is not even warm). Running stable for hours and hours of gaming. Fyi, it is summer here in australia... (I don't turn on Air Conditioning). It was running at 3.6 stable on older bios that not recognize the cpu.

cheers
February 4, 2009 11:58:36 AM

Sorry, forgot lol. I am using a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H mobo.
February 4, 2009 12:02:11 PM

Thanks Ken, will help me rest a little sounder tonight...well apart from the anticipation of it arriving at my door :)  mmm

I'l be running it on a Asus M3A79-T Deluxe, but given the reviews I cant imagine it will prevent me from clocking it up to around 3.5, especially if it keeps snowing here in the UK!
Have made sure I've got plenty of extra wattage spare for the overclocking to begin :) 
February 4, 2009 12:07:51 PM

Hehe, have fun with yours.

With the unexpected low temperature on stock cooler, I have decided not to get a good cooler. I'm surprised I don't need to touch the voltage to get that high.
!