Overclocking i7/Corsair Dominator ddr3 1600/voltage+timings

Strings

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm pretty sure I've successfully overclocked my i7 to believe it or not at 3.66 with turbo boost on (3.83-4), ht on, intel speed step on, and c state on. I know most of you usually turn those settings off, but you should really keep intel speed step on because it decreases and increases your voltage depending on what you're doing. Thus, your temps become lower and your processor will last longer. When not in a game or some sort of a load, my processor runs at 43.XXX watts. While when in some sort of a load including full load it runs at 147.3 watts. :)

Here are my specs before I start talking about my problem whether it's my oc, my memory, or a mixture of both.

i7 920 DO
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
Corsair Dominator ddr3 1600 7-7-7-20
Antec 1200
Two ati 4890's in CrossFire
Rosewill 950W sli/crossfire ready psu
Evga X58 3-way sli Motherboard
Two Super Talent 32GB ssds in raid 0 for OS
One Hitachi 1TB HDD for storage

Intel Speed Step on
Turbo Boost on
HT on
C State on
QPI 4.8 GT/s

CPU VCore at 1.256 (default) *this might be working because of the intel speed step* - It probably should be higher lol
CPU VTT Voltage +250mV
Dimm Voltage 1.65V
QPI VLL Voltage 1.3V
(Everything else on auto for now)

Memory is at 1833mhz (2:10)
timings are auto for now (11-11-11-29) They should be more aggressive but after about two hours of game play with just TF2 the comp crashes
My problem is just that... The timings. I successfully ran Prime95 for an hour without it crashing and decided an hour was enough because i don't run my comp 24/7.
On the other hand, when i play TF2 for about 2 hours my computer crashes. I'm thinking it's the memory and it probably is.

My question is what should I do to the Cpu and or Memory in terms of voltage and or timing to make them my system more stable. I don't want to give my cpu too much more voltage because temps get into the 80 C range.

Any good responses would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks,
Strings

Solution
Memtest runs from DOS and so "bit" does not matter. And yes, I work for Corsair. As far as your timings, you'll need to experiment for yourself since you are running the memory at an untested speed. You "might" be able to run 6-6-6-18 or something similar.

Strings

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
At first I didn't but and it ran alright, but I wanted to see if it would make a difference increasing its speed by 200mhz. It gave me a lil performance boost. Probably not worth it in the end, but it didn't hurt to try. I saw your guide btw, not bad. I notice that lots of people never turn on intel speed step. It really does help with longevity and power consumption. Someone has to pay the bills lol.

Anyways, what memtest? You mean the windows memtest?

Strings

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Is that a 32-bit version? Also are you really corsair tech support? lol

At 3.66 ghz with turbo on my auto ram frequency is 1466 (730). What timings would be recommended at those settings for good performance/stability?

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Memtest runs from DOS and so "bit" does not matter. And yes, I work for Corsair. As far as your timings, you'll need to experiment for yourself since you are running the memory at an untested speed. You "might" be able to run 6-6-6-18 or something similar.

Solution