OC and Power - how long do you leave your PC running at a time?

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i leave my PC on all the time. it is mildly OC'd--an e6750 at 3.2ghz--but the cores idle around 35c which wasn't much different from their stock temperature. i wonder at what point OC'ing means you should turn your PC off at night or during the day while you are (maybe) at work. just kind of curious the general OCs out there and how often you turn your computer off or what you think is safe.

Strings

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I suggest you turn it off when you are going to bed or when you're not home. You will greatly reduce power consumption and wear and tear on your system. Thus, you will save lots of money. If money isn't a problem then I still suggest turning off your system when not in use because there is no point in running it if you aren't using it. There's only so much electricity going around lol.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Last time a turned off was...on new years when i left for vacation :) Other then that its on 24/7 and i restart sometimes during updates and new program installation. Otherwise weather its full load or not doing anything (which it usually is) its still on. My old PC is going to be 4 years in september of 2010 and it ran 24/ 7 its whole life and its still running as a linux machine perfectly fine so yeah.