Sign in with
Your question

The new raptors

Last response: in Storage
April 13, 2010 7:50:02 PM

So my hard drives suck. Pretty old ***. Time to retire these damn things. (seriously 1 of the 3 is still on an IDE ribbon !)

Now I know how awesome SSD is. I wish I could afford it. I could probably buy 1, but I would seriously be lacking in storage space. I am putting this off until they come down in price a little bit and to when I can actually afford to shell out a couple hundred for just a HD for Windows and some hd intense games/programs.

I know WD just dropped down 600GB "sata 6.0" VelociRaptors ($270 at newegg). I hear these can be used on sata 3.0. Confirm or deny ?

I also have yet to see benchmarkings on these.

So as a guy with sata 3.0 I'd like to know how 1 of these would stack up against 2 1TB Samsung spinpoints in a raid 0 configuration. If the speed is well over 2x the Samsung Raid0, I may roll with a vraptor. If not, I am thinking the spinpoints are more up my alley.

Whatever the case maybe, I seriously gotta get a primary with more than 60MB/s read rate. (although my 500gb "data drive" dooes 80....)

More about : raptors

a b G Storage
April 13, 2010 8:26:21 PM

The velociraptor will be noticeably faster at application launching and windows startup than the RAID spinpoints, but it will be slower at sequential transfers.
m
l
April 13, 2010 8:40:05 PM

There are plenty of benchmarks available so you can check the performance and see if you think they're worth the price.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd6000hlhx-velocira...

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/18712

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3636/western-digitals-new...

You shouldn't be considering the Samsung F1 drives for a new build. The F3 series are the latest drives that use 500Gb platters. Your decision should be between the Samsung F3 and VelociRaptor drives IMO.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2010 8:56:13 PM

I didn't even consider the f1. Only the F3. I should have clarified ? I just thought it went without saying ;) 
m
l
April 13, 2010 8:58:54 PM

It's been a long day. :(  I could have sworn I saw Spinpoint F1 somewhere in your post. My eyes are obviously playing tricks on me.
m
l
April 13, 2010 9:26:50 PM

Hahaha. I think we have all been there short. But reading the toms review (how did this sneak past me ? Guess same way F1 snuck itself on your eyes)....

Anyways I am definitely leaning towards the F3.

Only problem now is, turns out my mobo doesn't have raid. This has furthered my motivation for upgrading my Q6600 into a Deneb black edition X4 /w a USB 3.0 mobo.

And here I was thinking of just upgrading my HD's and Video card. Oh well. Just when I was about to pay off my newegg card and start taking care of those things that are supposed to be higher priority (car repairs, dental work, college tuitions...)
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
April 13, 2010 11:04:00 PM

If you have a laptop, then the new Velociraptors are probably out of the question because they're thicker than a standard laptop form factor.

If you don't have a laptop, then you're not limited to just one drive and I believe you're looking at this in the wrong way. To get the best performance for your hard-earned dollar, don't try to buy ONE drive that solves both performance AND capacity issues. There's no way to do that economically.

Instead, buy a relatively small/extremely fast SSD to hold the OS and applications, and a large/not particularly fast HDD for bulk storage. Here are prices I just pulled from newegg:

600GB Velociraptor $280

vs.

40GB Intel X25-V SSD $125
1TB WD Green $80

The SSD / Green combo will save you money AND perform way better for booting and starting applications.
m
l
April 14, 2010 12:49:19 AM

I have considered doing the 1 small SSD + 1 large HD.

My concern with that is games like WoW that take a lot of access from the HD and run almost 20GB in size. This is why I was looking at doing a F3 raid configuration. Unfortunately that will cost me some cash too.

Inevitably, I think that solution is what I will have to do being money conscious right now. Although sub those power saver things with an F3. Going green is for hippies.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
April 14, 2010 2:10:27 AM

soulfringe said:
My concern with that is games like WoW that take a lot of access from the HD and run almost 20GB in size.
Well instead of the 40GB SSD you can buy an 80GB Intel drive from Newegg for $220. That plus the 1TB Green drive is only $20 more than the 600GB Velociraptor. Again, way more performance and more overall capacity too, all for very close to the same price.
m
l
!