Static Shock - Can't reboot

north

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Got a "small" shock when I tried to open the DVD tray and now the computer won't reboot. It powers up (lights/fans are on) but does nothing after that.

I've searched this forum (and Internet) and others with similar symptoms have been advised to replace their PSU. But if the system is getting power, as indicated by the fans and lights working, doesn't that mean the problem is something else?

Here's what I have tried so far:

- Emergency reboot disk (CD light does come on momentarily as I power up, but then nothing happens)
- Reset button
- Unplug and plug back in

What else can I try?

I would unplug the power supply, and remove the board battery to be sure the bios is reset. If that doesn't work, I would reinstall the 24 pin atx connector, and remove and install each memory stick one at a time. The last item to try is to remove the board from the case, and place on any non conductive surface such as a phonebook. Use just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of memory, and video to post; no drives connected. If you still don't get a post, you can either replace the board or power supply. The problem could be either one. Both the board and ps are around $40 shipped for anything decent. Boards are available as "open box" at newegg. I tried to order an hp board, but hp wouldn't sell me one unless I sent in the whole pc and paid them $$$ to replace it. So, I found another micro atx board and installed it myself, using a dell windows dvd to format and reinstall windows. If you need a different board, please post your current specs for pc, especially the board model number. Cpu-z, a free download, will identify your board model.

north

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Looks like I am one of the lucky ones. I took out the battery, waited and replaced and am back in business.

Of course after reading other similar posts, I may still have damaged something that will suddenly shut down in a month. Guess there's no way to check that, right? Just wait and see and hope.

Or is there a way to check the health of my components?

ozarkamax

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
more than likely the most damaged part will be the mobo. electricity always takes the path of least resistance and parts connected to the board will just act as conduits to the final destination. in most cases. good luck. if your board survives.... buy from them in the future.

north

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

So what I am asking, is if there's any way for me to test the motherboard then? Or do I just have to cross my fingers and hope?